skunk meat tastes like pheasant

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

skunk meat tastes like pheasant

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:51 am

Plan A got iced out this morning so i went to Plan B which happened to be a pheasant area in my state. They allow that I can set up there before sunrise for ducks but cannot shoot or call until sunrise. Of course I had to hold off on several shots 15 minutes before sunrise, and then got skunked, didnt take a single shot, but on the way out I came across a dead pheasant in the middle of the road, still warm.

Scooped it up rather than let it get run over. Gonna pluck it and see if it got shot or if it was road kill. Either way, I would like a suggestion on how to cook it. I never shot pheasant before. My plan so far is to pluck it, stuff it with herbs, coat with butter and roast it. Any suggestions on how to enjoy this little bonus to my skunky day?
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Re: skunk meat tastes like pheasant

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:54 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:Plan A got iced out this morning so i went to Plan B which happened to be a pheasant area in my state. They allow that I can set up there before sunrise for ducks but cannot shoot or call until sunrise. Of course I had to hold off on several shots 15 minutes before sunrise, and then got skunked, didnt take a single shot, but on the way out I came across a dead pheasant in the middle of the road, still warm.

Scooped it up rather than let it get run over. Gonna pluck it and see if it got shot or if it was road kill. Either way, I would like a suggestion on how to cook it. I never shot pheasant before. My plan so far is to pluck it, stuff it with herbs, coat with butter and roast it. Any suggestions on how to enjoy this little bonus to my skunky day?

I like my roadkill pheasant browned in a skillet with some butter and a little dash of pepper. :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:57 am

the cause of death is still undermined but i did hear a couple shots. i will solve this mystery in a few minutes when i pluck her. either way, she is getting ett. how is fried pheasant because im considering that too.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:01 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:the cause of death is still undermined but i did hear a couple shots. i will solve this mystery in a few minutes when i pluck her. either way, she is getting ett. how is fried pheasant because im considering that too.

Brown it lightly, you don't want to "fry" it like a fish. I hunt a few in the paid pheasant area every year. Not hard to hit, just have to learn where the culverts are. I think pheasant and quail are two of the best eating birds there are. I mean they taste great with very little preparation or seasoning. It isn't like duck where you have to cover up the taste with thirty seven different seasonings to make it taste good.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:22 pm

what kind of duck you talking bout, willis? i dont do much seasoning with wood ducks, mallards, and teal...or even ringers. everything else just gets a lot of garlic and hot chilis.

oh yeah and it had a hole in its back.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:35 pm

Put about 1/4 stick butter in pan on med/low heat,add can of sliced potatoes, season the chunked up pheasant breast and put that in also. Cook until potatoes have brown edges and pheasant is the same color all the way through. (Don't over cook pheasant) With just a couple minutes left cover potatoes and pheasants with shredded mozzarella cheese.
Attachments
image.jpg
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby clampdaddy » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:47 pm

Toss it in the crock pot with some onions, carrots, potatoes, and a bottle of Italian salad dressing. Or bake it partially covered in a bed of rice and cream of mushroom soup, sprinkled with Lipton onion soup mix.
clampdaddy
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:09 pm

I'm a bad cook. Often times i just fry it up the day I shot it in a pan with some butter and enjoy myself a little snack. Other times I make Chicken Helper, but instead of using chicken, I use pheasant.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:12 pm

Pheasant's good just about any way you cook it. I used to fry it like chicken. Salt and pepper and flour, brown it, cover and simmer for a few. Good slop. :yes:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Boatman » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:03 pm

Just roast it like a turkey,covered. :thumbsup:
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Boocephus » Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:08 pm

Put on stick, cook over fire. Dip in bbq. sauce. :thumbsup:
Boocephus
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:26 pm

pot roasted pheasant with potatoes and carrots over pecan rice is pretty good...
http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=71&t=147875&p=2456657
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:06 pm

Pheasant is delicious no matter how you cook it. As long as you don't burn it, or dry it out.

The legs are big and tasty too.
The problem is that they are chock full of tendons that harden up and take on the consistency of toothpicks when cooked.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:13 pm

i ended up butterflying the pheasant. cut out the spine with a pair of scissors, then removed the keel bone and rib bones. then cut it in half down the middle so i had 2 sets of breast/wing thigh/leg pieces, semi boneless.

i took one of the halves and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and thyme and cooked in a little bacon grease on a hot skillet. pulled all the meat off the bones and wrapped it in a flour tortilla with some shredded cheddar, chopped cabbage and a little red chili sauce. it was real good.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:30 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:i ended up butterflying the pheasant. cut out the spine with a pair of scissors, then removed the keel bone and rib bones. then cut it in half down the middle so i had 2 sets of breast/wing thigh/leg pieces, semi boneless.

i took one of the halves and seasoned it with salt, pepper, and thyme and cooked in a little bacon grease on a hot skillet. pulled all the meat off the bones and wrapped it in a flour tortilla with some shredded cheddar, chopped cabbage and a little red chili sauce. it was real good.

:thumbsup: Hard to beat second hand pheasant
All turkeys must die!

Cujo1
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole