What do you think

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

What do you think

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:26 pm

The relationship between IQ and shotgun skill is?

I tend to believe/find that the better shooters have higher intelligence than others.

Discuss.....
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Re: What do you think

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:34 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:The relationship between IQ and shotgun skill is?

I tend to believe/find that the better shooters have higher intelligence than others.

Discuss.....

Hand-eye coordination and intelligence correlation? I'm not sure. Let's give IQ tests to a high school's football team and its chess team and see who fares better? :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:43 pm

You don't think more is involved than hand eye coordination? Think of what your brain must do before you take a shot and all that is involved. Your eyes see the object, and tells your brain the direction and speed of travel, which then calculates where to aim and when to shoot. Pretty amazing if you think about it. I don't believe there's any artificial intelligence that can do it as effectively as a human can. Although the Phalanx CIWS is pretty close but (correct me if I'm wrong) it is only able to calculate for incoming shots, and not passing or going away for that matter.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:05 pm

ctdeathfrombelow wrote:You don't think more is involved than hand eye coordination? Think of what your brain must do before you take a shot and all that is involved. Your eyes see the object, and tells your brain the direction and speed of travel, which then calculates where to aim and when to shoot. Pretty amazing if you think about it. I don't believe there's any artificial intelligence that can do it as effectively as a human can. Although the Phalanx CIWS is pretty close but (correct me if I'm wrong) it is only able to calculate for incoming shots, and not passing or going away for that matter.

I was just trying to make a ha ha, but you're right. There is a lot to it. What really bugs me is cleaning a bird I shot and not finding one pellet in the breast. It turns from a good shot to a lucky one instantly! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:06 pm

I personally don't think it makes a difference. I do my best shooting when I'm not thinking about it and just feeling it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:11 pm

No.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:12 pm

Bill Herian wrote:No.

Jeez. Don't you EVER shut up? :lol3: :beer: It's a shame you and Spinner can't produce a child. The length of its posts would be PERFECT! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:25 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:I personally don't think it makes a difference. I do my best shooting when I'm not thinking about it and just feeling it out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly, you're not thinking about it consciously your brain just does it for you
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:27 pm

Bill Herian wrote:No.

Agree
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:31 pm

I've been around a few great shots that you'd think were geniuses, until they opened their mouth. Also been around some geniuses that couldn't hit a duck unless you taped it to the end of their barrels, so I don't believe there is any correlation between the two.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:38 pm

No. Smart people don't hunt.
First off, we need to get our story straight.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Glimmerjim » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:39 pm

Botiz630 wrote:No. Smart people don't hunt.

:lol3: :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:07 pm

Believe any great shooter is like any great athlete. Prepared,knows their equipment,gun fits them, understands ballistics/chokes,practices,mentally ready,etc. have seen many intelligent people that aren't good shooters but I have also hunted with some people with questionable intelligence that were great shots. Think there is some process of thinking that some "get" and others don't.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:22 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Believe any great shooter is like any great athlete. Prepared,knows their equipment,gun fits them, understands ballistics/chokes,practices,mentally ready,

No.

All of that is theoretical. None of it translates into success in the field. Great shooters are great because they have shot at tons of birds.

The gun fit thing always kills me. Did your first shotgun "fit" you properly? I bet not. I also bet you shot that gun just fine, might even be your favorite. If it's all you have to work with you can take any gun and shoot it well in time.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 12:22 am

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Believe any great shooter is like any great athlete. Prepared,knows their equipment,gun fits them, understands ballistics/chokes,practices,mentally ready,

Bill Herian wrote: No.

All of that is theoretical. None of it translates into success in the field. Great shooters are great because they have shot at tons of birds.

Not always, Bill. My youngest kid has probably shot at 5% of the birds I have. He was an outstanding athlete and he constantly amazes me with some shots he pulls off. Seems like if it's in any kind of range and in the air it won't be for long. Of course that could just mean I'm a ridiculously poor shot, which is not below consideration! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:09 pm

Bill Herian wrote:

No.

The gun fit thing always kills me. Did your first shotgun "fit" you properly? I bet not. I also bet you shot that gun just fine, might even be your favorite. If it's all you have to work with you can take any gun and shoot it well in time.

Should have stated differently. Don't mean fit as in drop/comb whatever. The 28 in 12 gauge browning i shoot doesn't fit my 10 year old son,but his 20 gauge with 22 in barrel and shortened stock does. It's what we can handle. Great shooters are great because they have the ability to understand/interpret the shot they have and what their gun is capable of,sure practice helps. But there are a lot of people who have burned tons of powder who can't shoot well and no matter how much they shoot they won't be great. They don't have the ability to be great. Just like someone without athletic ability can practice say football all they want too but will never be a pro football player. Sure experience make some better but I hunt with a lot of kids and after talking to them about shooting some get it some don't or can't make the adjustment. I am not a pro shooter. I am a meat shooter.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:33 pm

NO
To many variables proof of the pudding I have seen guys and gals shoot trap for 40 years and never break 100 straight.
Yet some make this milestone the first year.

Bear in mind this is not wing shooting.
Some of the greats are live flyer shooting pigeons.
Annie Oakley was one of the greats before we had modern ammo.
Most boils down to concentration.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:24 pm

Well, I'm not that good of a shot, ct, so that blows that theory out of the water! :lol3: :beer:
I'll save everyone the time...."Quite the contrary. That fully supports it!" :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:01 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:Believe any great shooter is like any great athlete. Prepared,knows their equipment,gun fits them, understands ballistics/chokes,practices,mentally ready,etc. have seen many intelligent people that aren't good shooters but I have also hunted with some people with questionable intelligence that were great shots. Think there is some process of thinking that some "get" and others don't.

Pretty much the opposite in my experience. The best shots I've hunted with have zero knowledge about ballistics, only the basics on chokes, and rarely practice.
Some people just "have it" and don't need practice. People like me can be good, but need to be on the range once in a while to stay sharp.
Then there's those who simply "don't have it", don't have the coordination, lead estimation, etc., and are pretty much hopeless. :lol3:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole