When was the last time you got checked by a warden?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

When was the last time you got checked by a warden?

Postby charlie beard » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:58 pm

For myself in the 80s.
IL. is so broke they have cut their conservation program to bare bones.
I have not seen a CPO at our club for at least 14 years.
Sad to say the least.

It appears to me they are more interested in drugs and alcohol.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Re: When was the last time you got checked by a warden?

Postby Professor_Leakey » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:06 pm

i got checked on Christmas day last year 5 minutes before legal shooting time.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:16 pm

charlie beard wrote:For myself in the 80s.
IL. is so broke they have cut their conservation program to bare bones.
I have not seen a CPO at our club for at least 14 years.
Sad to say the least.

It appears to me they are more interested in drugs and alcohol.

Don't know about the alcohol. Last moonshine I drank was from Illinois.

I got checked 4 times in one year, about 3 years ago. Once fishing in Michigan and 3 times hunting in Indiana. The CO was watching me duck hunt from before shooting time. Glad I always wait. :eek: I'm pretty sure I shot pretty much at him when I shot. I saw him peeking out from behind a tree while I was looking for a cripple in the weeds. The other two were in the woods I deer hunt in. One was on a snomobile, the other sneaking around on foot. All 3 in Indiana were different guys. That was the year our areas CO retired and I guess they brought in guys from everywhere. :huh: The guy that retired checked me goose hunting once about 20 years ago and I didn't have my Fed. stamp signed. He let me sign it and gave me a warning. Nice guy, I used to call him and get info on where it was legal to hunt on the river and where the city annexed. He was always glad to help out.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Windrider » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:23 pm

Opening morning last year on my way out.

Checked my shotgun - 20ga sxs
checked my ducks - 2 gadwall
checked my spent shells - 2 hevisteel 4s
Checked my unspent shells - bunch more hevisteel 4s.

Looks at me and says, "where's all the shooting coming from."

Looks like someone done sent him on a goose chase 'cause I only heard 4 other shots.
Windrider
hunter

Postby Baymen Moe » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:35 pm

Once in my 35 years of hunting. Ironically I have been checked more thoroughly by a local po twice in the last five years. The guy knew his stuff being a duck hunter himself, and I told him I was impressed. Most of the local po's around here are totally clueless on game and gun laws. :no:
Baymen Moe
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:46 pm

Opening day first split this year.
t_baker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:59 pm

Last year (new warden).....prior to that it had probably been 20 years. I knew the warden through my mothers boss. I must have had a good reputation because I'd run into him fairly often and we would talk but he'd never check me.....It might have helped that when I was unsure of something I would call him so he knew I was trying to get things right.....

The new warden asked for my license and wanted to check my plug till I told him I shot a double barrel...... I was somewhat supprised because he drove out into the field . At first I though I had POed the landowner....
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:08 pm

While crappie fishing last spring. Then 4 years or so before that, while dove hunting.
Have never been checked while waterfowl hunting.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:14 pm

Not me, but 3 guys at my school got stopped with a flock above their heads, 2 got fines, one for no plug, another for having 4 shells. 3rd guy checked out fine. Givin my generation the bad rap :no:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Monday. He knew where I had been parking for my hole checked me on the way in ... Made me late to my hole. Did the whole nine yards gun shells license permit and was waiting for me when I came back to check my ducks
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby jkm » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:22 pm

Last year on opening morning. I had two 15 yr. olds with me and they got to witness a true professional GW at his best. He was very thorough and was a super nice guy. There were six of us total and wouldn't you know it my dad had left his wallet at the camp 30 mins. away. He actually called in and verified the license. We did have a pretty crappy bag of ducks that he made a joke about, but we thought it was funny. I hope my son has the same experience next time. Ms. Delta around Greenwood.
jkm
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 7:59 pm

I've never been checked. They've tried many times but have never been able to catch me.
It's all true, as far as I know.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:15 pm

Had one pull up to us while trolling this summer. Once he got close enough to read the name on the transom he peeled off.

Must have found something to live for.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:20 pm

We get checked in Venice pretty regularly every summer. Usually get checked at least once a season during duck season.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Bill Herian » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:23 pm

Duck Nasty wrote:Monday. He knew where I had been parking for my hole checked me on the way in ... Made me late to my hole. Did the whole nine yards gun shells license permit and was waiting for me when I came back to check my ducks

That's BS.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby CountryRN » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:33 pm

I usually see the GW at the ramp when pulling out once or twice a year. Conversation usually goes like,
Me: Hey ___, Haven't seen you around lately.
Him: Yea, been busy"
Me: So what happened with that chick I hooked you up with last month.
Him: She was crazy
Me: Oh well, give me a call when you want a cold beer sometime. Catch ya later. Oh almost forgot, here is my license and stamp so you can say you are actually doing something today. :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:
ImageCyberscouting Image
CountryRN
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:37 pm

This morning and last Saturday. Nice guy. Didn't even check license or guns. Checked ducks both times. Asked about other hunters and where people hunting. So I asked him about other hunters and where ducks being shot. Always offer drinks/snacks to officers and take time for conversation. Have made friends with most and gathered lots of good info. We get checked often at times then may go weeks without seeing anyone.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:39 pm

Bill Herian wrote:
Duck Nasty wrote:Monday. He knew where I had been parking for my hole checked me on the way in ... Made me late to my hole. Did the whole nine yards gun shells license permit and was waiting for me when I came back to check my ducks

That's BS.

Just taught me to be there earlier. I over slept and was rushing to get there and set up before shooting time but the check had being fully set and hunting 10 min after LST not much you can do about it I guess but now he knows I'm legal and should leave me alone before the hunt now I could care less if he checks me after but not before. I was not happy trying to rush and get set up
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:42 pm

charlie beard wrote: It appears to me they are more interested in drugs and alcohol.

Aren't we all? :biggrin:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:46 pm

dakotashooter2 wrote:Last year (new warden).....prior to that it had probably been 20 years. I knew the warden through my mothers boss. I must have had a good reputation because I'd run into him fairly often and we would talk but he'd never check me.....It might have helped that when I was unsure of something I would call him so he knew I was trying to get things right.....

The new warden asked for my license and wanted to check my plug till I told him I shot a double barrel...... I was somewhat supprised because he drove out into the field . At first I though I had POed the landowner....

I have a good family friend that owns a bunch of land. Over 5000 acres. If that game warden would have drove in any of his fields he would have been in for a rude awakening. Bud has 2 rules. Dont drive in his fields when they are dry and dont drive in his fields when they are wet.
Last edited by t_baker on Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Baymen Moe wrote:Once in my 35 years of hunting. Ironically I have been checked more thoroughly by a local po twice in the last five years. The guy knew his stuff being a duck hunter himself, and I told him I was impressed. Most of the local po's around here are totally clueless on game and gun laws. :no:

They are in CA too. Talk decently to them and you can pretty much tell THEM the laws! And they are usually very decent with hunters. If they have to chase you off (as they did me once right after 9/11 near airport property) they are usually apologetic.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:57 pm

t_baker wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Last year (new warden).....prior to that it had probably been 20 years. I knew the warden through my mothers boss. I must have had a good reputation because I'd run into him fairly often and we would talk but he'd never check me.....It might have helped that when I was unsure of something I would call him so he knew I was trying to get things right.....

I have a good family friend that owns a bunch of land. Over 5000 acres. If that game warden would have drove in any of his fields he would have been in for a rude awakening. Bud has 2 rules. Dont drive in his fields when they are dry and dont drive in his fields when they are wet.

that would fly about like a lead zepplin.....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Silverback4jack » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:01 pm

Opening day last Saturday. He said "We are checking license, guns, and birds." My response was we have them all. Lol
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:12 pm

Have been checked once every year since 09. First year we were out in the platte and a state and fed gw came down via airboat, blew a group of geese working us. Checked shells, plugs, licenses, and made fun of us for having a merganser in the bag. Last few times have been on private land and last year the state gw opened a gate and drove to us. He said he just needed to see licenses and we told him b.s. if you're going to blow our hunting you better check it all. Made him check plugs, look through about a case of shells, made sure to have to "look" for our licenses and stamps. We kept him close to 45 min
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby Bunker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:43 pm

This morning.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole