When was the last time you got checked by a warden?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, #1wingnut, lostpup

Re: When was the last time you got checked by a warden?

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:48 pm

Omaha Clucker wrote:Have been checked once every year since 09. First year we were out in the platte and a state and fed gw came down via airboat, blew a group of geese working us. Checked shells, plugs, licenses, and made fun of us for having a merganser in the bag. Last few times have been on private land and last year the state gw opened a gate and drove to us. He said he just needed to see licenses and we told him b.s. if you're going to blow our hunting you better check it all. Made him check plugs, look through about a case of shells, made sure to have to "look" for our licenses and stamps. We kept him close to 45 min

I never realized that in Neb a citizen can demand a LEO to do his job the way the citizen wants. "Hey officer, get your ass in here and climb in my attic to see if I have hidden any drugs. While you're at it crawl my muddy sub-floor space." Not sure that would fly in CA! Neb must be a "wild and crazy" state! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:59 pm

Only once in all the refuge hunting I have done. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy. A couple of times when the property I was on was not "technically" mine! :lol3: Never got a ticket, though. Nice guys then too. Stern warnings and all! I can be EXTREMELY deferential and abashed when appropriate! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:03 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:Only once in all the refuge hunting I have done. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy. A couple of times when the property I was on was not "technically" mine! :lol3: Never got a ticket, though. Nice guys then too. Stern warnings and all! I can be EXTREMELY deferential and abashed when appropriate! :lol3:

No Way! Not You! :biggrin:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Humpbackshooter » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:08 pm

We get check aleast 2X's a yr. Most the time the opening weekend, or if not then, Thanksginving weekend. Then the next time we see them is last day of the season. You can set your clock on the last weekend he's going to come by. If by chance there's alot of birds in the area, then we might see them a 3rd time, but that the most. (knot on wood). :hammer:

At our place, we (the farmer) put up signs that said " No unauthorized vehicles with-out land owners permission". Locked all the gates. They (GW) is more than welcome to walk in to our holes, most time they are to lazy. If the the GW gets on the land with a truck, we call our farmer, and he confronts him about. They can not drive on posted land if it is posted as above. They CAN walk on, they have that right. Our farmer rode one young dude up one side and down the other last yr. cause he drove out into one of our fields to check us. (Last day of the season) Some have that "I'm the law atttiude,I can do as I please". We was working some birds opening weekend several yrs. back, and they drove out into the field and then got out and started walking toward us, knowing we was working birds. We had to yelled at them to stop and wait. Then they came and ck us. Said they didn't see the birds we was calling. They saw the birds that fell...said nice shot.

Now 2 yrs ago, the GW that rammed the mini van in the walmart in West Mphs. shoot out, came by and check us.
Mr. Micheal Neal was his name. Very nice, professional. Willing to help with any info that we needed.
Showed us the gun that he was shooting that day...... Said that he fired 36/37 shots.....25 of them hit meat!!!!!!!!
Said that most shoot-outs last only 5 to 7 seconds....That one lasted 35 seconds. AND thats the 2nd one he's been in.

Most of the time, they are just doing their jobs. Lic,guns, ammo, and birds..then they are gone. I personally, would not want their job. What 35/40 grand a yr. and your get to carry a pistol. I do that any-ways and make a few $ more. :beer:

Hump.
Humpbackshooter
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:17 pm

charlie beard wrote:For myself in the 80s.
IL. is so broke they have cut their conservation program to bare bones.
I have not seen a CPO at our club for at least 14 years.
Sad to say the least.

It appears to me they are more interested in drugs and alcohol.

Get ready for it Hancock county is gonna have a warden now I got checked in my field Wednesday. He said he'll be here all winter and comes back permanently in august. He's a duck hunter too he told me so he could be strict on regs or loose. Who knows.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:29 pm

Fishing on the river. The encounter was random as heck and very unexpected.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:38 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Last year (new warden).....prior to that it had probably been 20 years. I knew the warden through my mothers boss. I must have had a good reputation because I'd run into him fairly often and we would talk but he'd never check me.....It might have helped that when I was unsure of something I would call him so he knew I was trying to get things right.....

The new warden asked for my license and wanted to check my plug till I told him I shot a double barrel...... I was somewhat supprised because he drove out into the field . At first I though I had POed the landowner....

I have a good family friend that owns a bunch of land. Over 5000 acres. If that game warden would have drove in any of his fields he would have been in for a rude awakening. Bud has 2 rules. Dont drive in his fields when they are dry and dont drive in his fields when they are wet.

that would fly about like a lead zepplin.....

Which part?

Bud has been my grandpas best friend since they were kids. I grew up with the family and everyone knows only tractors and combines in his fields. He said if he tells someone to drive in it only when its dry they have always managed to rut the field up. Hence the not when its wet and not when its dry saying. Can't blame the guy. I have never even seen him drive in his fields.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:40 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
dakotashooter2 wrote:Last year (new warden).....prior to that it had probably been 20 years. I knew the warden through my mothers boss. I must have had a good reputation because I'd run into him fairly often and we would talk but he'd never check me.....It might have helped that when I was unsure of something I would call him so he knew I was trying to get things right.....

The new warden asked for my license and wanted to check my plug till I told him I shot a double barrel...... I was somewhat supprised because he drove out into the field . At first I though I had POed the landowner....

I have a good family friend that owns a bunch of land. Over 5000 acres. If that game warden would have drove in any of his fields he would have been in for a rude awakening. Bud has 2 rules. Dont drive in his fields when they are dry and dont drive in his fields when they are wet.

Which part?

Bud has been my grandpas best friend since they were kids. I grew up with the family and everyone knows only tractors and combines in his fields. He said if he tells someone to drive in it only when its dry they have always managed to rut the field up. Hence the not when its wet and not when its dry saying. Can't blame the guy. I have never even seen him drive in his fields.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he can dictate whether a game warden drives in his field....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Which part?

I could be wrong, but I don't think he can dictate whether a game warden drives in his field....

By law maybe, I don't disagree. But in my opinion if the hunters walked out so cam he. If he tore up winter wheat or the field I can see how a farmer would be upset. Our deer week starts Monday and I have never seen green jeans in a field ever. Always on the road.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:47 pm

t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Which part?

By law maybe, I don't disagree. But in my opinion if the hunters walked out so cam he. If he tore up winter wheat or the field I can see how a farmer would be upset. Our deer week starts Monday and I have never seen green jeans in a field ever. Always on the road.

Yea, that is what I meant, by law. but I agree with you that it's a **** move to drive in a farmers field and tear it up just because you can.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby t_baker » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:53 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Which part?

Yea, that is what I meant, by law. but I agree with you that it's a **** move to drive in a farmers field and tear it up just because you can.

Disrespectful is how I feel. They want hunters to be ethical and respectful. They should do the same. A stunt like that on a GW part could end hunting privileges for someone potentially.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:44 am

Cujo1 wrote:
Glimmerjim wrote:Only once in all the refuge hunting I have done. Couldn't have asked for a nicer guy. A couple of times when the property I was on was not "technically" mine! :lol3: Never got a ticket, though. Nice guys then too. Stern warnings and all! I can be EXTREMELY deferential and abashed when appropriate! :lol3:

No Way! Not You! :biggrin:

:lol3: :beer:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:29 am

Soon as big game season ends I get checked once a week. We have state, Feds, and CG that will check us for things out here. Towards the end of the season I get to know the guys fairly well.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby GOTDUCKS? » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:55 am

Get checked every year for hunting and fishing. When I'm down the Laguna have been borded by DPS, Sherrif, coasties, and border patrol. There just tryn to keep the brown man down. :lol3:
GOTDUCKS?
hunter

Postby Dingbatter 2 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:40 am

I usually call my local Warden and tell them where I'm going and if there are any problems I should be aware of. I also ask them if I see anything suspicious whether I should call them and let them know. I have never been checked by a state warden. I was checked by a fed one time. I told him that I had been buying a license for all of these years and to please check EVERYTHING! I want my money's worth. He just laughed and said ok. :grooving:
"When I get to heaven, tie me to a tree
For I'll begin to roam and soon you'll know where I will be..."
Dingbatter 2
hunter

Postby Underradar » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:56 am

Last month. I caught one trying to shoot hogs on my lease, in his truck on a state highway. I let him go with a warning.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:00 am

Underradar wrote:Last month. I caught one trying to shoot hogs on my lease, in his truck on a state highway. I let him go with a warning.

You know that he is just going to go down the road and do it again. All you have done is tell him it`s OK to act with such disregard for other peoples property.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:11 am

Havent been checked this year, or the year before. The last seasons before, it was at least 3-4 times a year.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby jcz » Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:33 am

I would have to actually get out and hunt before I could be checked. Only made it out a few times so far. And next week ain't looking good already. :mad:
jcz
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks Charlie, got checked this morning. No fouls, just the usual equipment/light/fire extinguisher/whistle/life jacket check.

Had two pair of mallards a couple of shovelors and a few teal in the decoys this morning. Never raised my gun. Just watched them swim around for a while. Hunting by myself and just wanted to fool them. Probably really pissed off the other hundred hunters at the WMA :biggrin:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 01, 2013 12:22 pm

Cujo1 wrote:Thanks Charlie, got checked this morning. No fouls, just the usual equipment/light/fire extinguisher/whistle/life jacket check.

Had two pair of mallards a couple of shovelors and a few teal in the decoys this morning. Never raised my gun. Just watched them swim around for a while. Hunting by myself and just wanted to fool them. Probably really pissed off the other hundred hunters at the WMA :biggrin:

That's cool, Cujo :thumbsup: I never thought about doing that unless I was limited out already. And even then the outcome is uncertain! :lol3: You've planted something in my head that I won't be able to not consider in the future. It always amused me when you get a few teal to light in the decoys. They usually come in so confidently, and then it's like they keep taking glances at each other......"Does something seem slightly amiss here?"......"Uh, yeah. Pretty cliquish group, ain't they?"....."Weird looking too. I feel like I am in a store window with a group of mannequins."....."Know what? This is too weird. I'm outta here."....."Yeah, I'm with ya...let's g............................. :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Sun Dec 01, 2013 2:50 pm

last time was this year.. twice.. i get checked a lot probably because i hunt so much.. only ever had one CO try to be ornery with us... he tried to make an issue of ONE ear of corn on the pit out of all the corn stalks i used for camo.. guess i missed one.. all worked out though.. just think he was having a bad day. it was opening morning at adout 730.. been checked several other times by the same guy, before and after and was always nice.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby Boatman » Sun Dec 01, 2013 3:56 pm

This year in October early opener north zone. That was the 1st time in over 40 years of hunting. We were hunting a management area an 2 wardens came rowing down in a little canoe,and these were big boys.Only about 3-4 inches of freeboard left. Almost flipped it landing and taking off after checking us. My kid ask them if that was a batman belt they had on with all the stuff they have on there belt. :lol3:
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby Mike the Fox » Sun Dec 01, 2013 5:08 pm

july 4th. 3 wardens all in the same boat. pulled up checked all our licenses, lifejackets, boat reg. etc. asked me how many beers i'd had, told him a couple. apparently it wasn't a big deal, told us to have a good day and left. it was my first run in with a texas warden. they were very professional and courteous. :thumbsup:
Mike the Fox
hunter

Postby Bo Beaver » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:32 pm

Twice this year, April for sucker spearing because some guys were spearing walleye in the ditch we were running and the early goose opener at the launch coming out. One of the guys in the group we were spearing with got a $300 ticket for accidentally spearing a walleye(the CO watched him kick it off the spear after he realized what it was). The second time my buddy got a $190 ticket for not being able to get to one of the life vests in a "reasonable" amount if time, which was kinda funny because the boat was jam up full of goose floaters and the vest was under the giant pile of goose shaped flotation aids...
"Fear and dread of you shall be upon the beasts of the earth, and the fowl of the air, all that moves upon the earth, and all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered. Every moving thing that lives shall be meat for you." Gen9:2
Bo Beaver
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole