Seasons over, cleaning and storing decoys

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Seasons over, cleaning and storing decoys

Postby 98ramtough » Sun Jan 30, 2005 1:53 pm

Do you guys take all your decoys out of the decoy bags and clean them before putting them away for the season? I have about 9 dozen deeks and I want to store them best so that they can be ready for next year. Should I just wash them well and leave them in the bags or put them up on a shelfs out of the bags????

What do you guys do?

Mike
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby donell67 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:19 pm

i never wash my dekes. except unless i am going to paint some. i leave them in the bags. i just stuff mine under the stairs in the garage.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gilmore1011 » Sun Jan 30, 2005 2:35 pm

Well I always have good intentions of cleaning them before putting them away but it doesn't happen as much as I plan. I just keep all my ducks in the bags and put them up in the rafters of the barn. The goose shells all get stacked up in some shelves in the rafters too. Usually during the summer we have a decoy day where the whole family takes them all down and we clean, repair and paint them. My wife will paint the touch ups and this year flock the heads and my son and I will redo anchor lines and weights. This year is going to be a big day as my Dad and his hunting buddies have been using my goose decoys and they are looking a bit worn. Just don't use a pressure washer as the paint doesn't do well as I learned the hard way.

Scott
gilmore1011
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Sun Jan 30, 2005 4:09 pm

I usually just leave mine in the bag after season and put them all in down in our barn. Sometime in the summer or fall I will get them all out and wash them real good and do any touch up if it is needed.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby Dogman » Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:59 pm

If its too cold I'll wait till spring and hose down the whole bag,then take them out and check them and store them.Meanwhile they stay in the bag in the shed.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby travo » Sun Jan 30, 2005 6:00 pm

im kind of a fanatic when it comes to this. about may, ill get out all the dekes from the bags,wash em,check the lines,check for cracks, and repaint them. ive got shelves in my storage in my basement that separate all the different species of ducks, and a system to organize them that keeps different kinds apart-water keel,weighted keel,flambeau,horicon,etc. i clean the motors in all my shaker dekes, and take the old batteries out. i also rerig the rubber tubing on my jerklines, cuz it tends to get old and weak. Ive got about 9 dozen, so i want to keep everything separate. i use alot of hen mallard dekes and teal dekes early season, and more drakes and divers late season, so i like to be able to have em all ready at the drop of a hat. i also check all the decoy bag straps and strings, replacing what needs to be replaced, and sew up any holes in the mesh bags with parachute cord. its nice to have all this sorted in case we decide on a different destination saturday mornings because of weather, bird reports,etc. if i switch to a big lake at the last minute, its nice to be able to just dump the teal and load the divers.
junior member of ODHA,incorrigible
travo
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:36 pm

I throw all my decoys and blinds up in our attic, but it seems it would be better to just keep it in the shed because I am always digging something out of the attic.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:07 am

Heat can damage decoys--especially softer ones like Full body goose decoys (warps the body). Also high heat can split the body(high heat in a sealed body makes it expand) and paint on the hard plastic decoys.

Consider light colored (dark colors obsorb heat) and well ventilated sheds. A house basement is great, or a garage-but it seems the dirt is more in the garage than elsewhere. Also sunlight fades the colors faster, so out of the direct sunlight is better.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby had » Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:52 am

i hose them off and put them up in the garage. about a mounth before the season opens i'll take them all out and cheack and paint them. keeps me from going crazy. i think i'll do like gilmore and make it a family deal. sounds fun.
had
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Jan 31, 2005 9:56 am

i have also heard it is bad to keep them in attic. that high heat is bad on them. a cool dark dry place is best.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:11 pm

Mine ususally sit in the boat until it starts warming up in April or May. The G&H's I have now have been through this routine 3 years in a row and don't show any adverse effects like cracks or paint coming off. That and I'm lazy. :laughing:

yeller
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby tstrong » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:16 pm

I get large box's and store the deek's in them in my shop. My decoy bags always use to get torn up during the storage months.
tstrong
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole