Pass Shooting

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Pass Shooting

Postby quailhunter123 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 11:25 pm

Although I am not a very experienced hunter it seems to me that some forms of pass shooting are for people who don't know how to set up a good decoy spread. For example I have hunted with someone who knows even less about the sport than me but has some really nice property with lots of game. But when I go hunting with them the ducks either; fail to decoy or we have to jump shoot them. Now they are telling me that they are pass shooting even though the ducks they hunt are not migratory or travel in small flocks from 2-8 birds. It appears to me that they do not know how to set up a nice spread and just pass shot. One of them told me that they see lots of birds but they are too far away to shot. So I don't see a reason not to set up a decoy spread. Although I don't hunt that often I know that this does not seem right because I have hunted the property multiple times and it seems to me that a well set up decoy spread would be a great benefit to the hunters. The people who I mostly hunt with are very experience and have hunted many years. When I hunt with the more experienced hunters we see less birds but we get much better results and bag much more.
So this leads me to my question is pass shooting less efficient then shooting over decoying ducks and/or for people who do not know a lot about duck hunting. I also wonder if your going to pass shot why not set out a couple decoys, could it hurt at all.
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Re: Pass Shooting

Postby AKPirate » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:04 am

quailhunter123 wrote:Although I am not a very experienced hunter it seems to me that some forms of pass shooting are for people who don't know how to set up a good decoy spread. For example I have hunted with someone who knows even less about the sport than me but has some really nice property with lots of game. But when I go hunting with them the ducks either; fail to decoy or we have to jump shoot them. Now they are telling me that they are pass shooting even though the ducks they hunt are not migratory or travel in small flocks from 2-8 birds. It appears to me that they do not know how to set up a nice spread and just pass shot. One of them told me that they see lots of birds but they are too far away to shot. So I don't see a reason not to set up a decoy spread. Although I don't hunt that often I know that this does not seem right because I have hunted the property multiple times and it seems to me that a well set up decoy spread would be a great benefit to the hunters. The people who I mostly hunt with are very experience and have hunted many years. When I hunt with the more experienced hunters we see less birds but we get much better results and bag much more.
So this leads me to my question is pass shooting less efficient then shooting over decoying ducks and/or for people who do not know a lot about duck hunting. I also wonder if your going to pass shot why not set out a couple decoys, could it hurt at all.

Deeks and a very little low calls should get them to the point where you can shoot them in the lips.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:11 am

quailhunter123 wrote:So this leads me to my question is pass shooting less efficient then shooting over decoying ducks and/or for people who do not know a lot about duck hunting.
What do you mean by efficient? My problem with pass shooting is that it is not fun with the exception of it gives me an opportunity to get something that I otherwise would. I'd rather take 1 decoyed duck than pass shoot a limit. Actually, I'd be happy with a few working birds and no shots than a limit of pass shot mallards. If it gets me a new species, then whatever it takes. However, to each his own :beer:

quailhunter123 wrote:I also wonder if your going to pass shot why not set out a couple decoys, could it hurt at all.

Maybe. When I first started hunting where I do now, I had shot 3 Canada geese in my life. So killing geese was a big deal for me. I pass shot quite a few and set up with the intent to do so. Also the birds can get very decoy shy. I've seen geese all but freak when they have cleared a tree line and saw there were decoys on the water. Them old birds are tough to hunt. So what I did successfully when I started was that the geese might come down to take a look at the decoys, but they would skirt the spread. So I made no attempt to decoy birds and set the spread far off to the side so it would pull the birds down into range, but when they would skirt it, they would fly right over my head. Had they actually decoyed, they would have been out of range.

However, now that I have a fair number of geese under my belt, pass shooting them is no longer of any interest to me. If the opportunity presents itself, I still shoot the geese, but if they look like they will work, I let them work and try to get them feet down.

I have a buddy that all he does is pass shoots geese. I don't get it. He enjoys it and shoots a lot of them. Like I said too each his own :beer: It sounds to me like your buddies are just not interested in trying to decoy the birds. I wouldn't try to change them. Do it their way when you are with them and do it your way when you are not. Good luck :beer:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:24 am

If I had a place where I could and shoot a limit of ducks over decoys, and another place where I could go and shoot a limit of ducks without hauling a bunch of gear around...
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:30 am

Yeah, but you can go to the trap range when the weather is nice and there is no limit to how many things you can shoot flying by :yes:
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:34 am

Clay pigeons don't taste that good.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby quailhunter123 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:46 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Clay pigeons don't taste that good.

neither do some ducks
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:46 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Clay pigeons don't taste that good.

But with all the money you save, you can buy something that tastes better.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:44 am

I love eating ducks, that's the big reason I'm a duck hunter.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Bunker » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

I always go out with the intent of setting up and putting outta a spread that makes the birds want to go gear down with wings cupped and at that point if you can't hit em thats your problem. Having the ability, aptitude and skill to whack the 35 yard crosser that is a duck on a mission with no desire to work the decoys only gives you an added tool to more efficiently put duck on the table. At the end of the day isn't that the goal.

Sent from my pocket pop-tart type thingy via Tapatalk
Bunker
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:41 pm

I pass shoot geese every once and a while. We take 6 guys and make it a pretty social event and it's fun.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:41 am

Bunker wrote:I always go out with the intent of setting up and putting outta a spread that makes the birds want to go gear down with wings cupped and at that point if you can't hit em thats your problem. Having the ability, aptitude and skill to whack the 35 yard crosser that is a duck on a mission with no desire to work the decoys only gives you an added tool to more efficiently put duck on the table. At the end of the day isn't that the goal.
Nope. It's to have fun and make memories. If only shooting greenheads and putting less ducks on the table does that for you :beer: If putting the maximum number of ducks on the table does that for you :beer: One of my best days this year I didn't get a bird.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:43 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Bunker wrote:I always go out with the intent of setting up and putting outta a spread that makes the birds want to go gear down with wings cupped and at that point if you can't hit em thats your problem. Having the ability, aptitude and skill to whack the 35 yard crosser that is a duck on a mission with no desire to work the decoys only gives you an added tool to more efficiently put duck on the table. At the end of the day isn't that the goal.
Nope. It's to have fun and make memories. If only shooting greenheads and putting less ducks on the table does that for you :beer: If putting the maximum number of ducks on the table does that for you :beer: One of my best days this year I didn't get a bird.

Well put by somebody that apparently lacks the ability, skill and willingness to connect on a shot like that. There are plenty of mornings I go home with a skunk on my strap and enjoyed it from the moment my alarm went off til I loaded back into the truck but I'm not going to let the fact that for some reason that day the birds didn't want to work my decoys or decided that they wanted to be someplace else that morning determine whether or not I have duck nuggets for breakfast when I get back. Every hunter should know their abilities and limitations and use those for the best possible outcome for them. You've showed us yours so heres to "each his own" :cheers:

Bunker
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:56 pm

Bunker wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

Well put by somebody that apparently lacks the ability, skill and willingness to connect on a shot like that. There are plenty of mornings I go home with a skunk on my strap and enjoyed it from the moment my alarm went off til I loaded back into the truck but I'm not going to let the fact that for some reason that day the birds didn't want to work my decoys or decided that they wanted to be someplace else that morning determine whether or not I have duck nuggets for breakfast when I get back. Every hunter should know their abilities and limitations and use those for the best possible outcome for them. You've showed us yours so heres to "each his own" :cheers:

You apparently didn't read my first post. I use to pass shoot Canadas. I just got bored of it. :smile:

Now give me a woodie coming by low to the deck at mock 3 that you can't see coming until you are lucky if you have time to even pick up the gun, that's fun and tough pass shooting. Not a mallard or goose loafing by at 40 yards. That's an easy shot.

Although I must admit, a big honker free falling from over 100 feet in the air slamming into the land, water, or ice is pretty cool. :yes:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:42 pm

I would much rather decoy birds. It's the entire reason I hunt. It's just to watch the birds react to the calls and decoys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Bunker » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:35 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Bunker wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:

You apparently didn't read my first post. I use to pass shoot Canadas. I just got bored of it. :smile:

Now give me a woodie coming by low to the deck at mock 3 that you can't see coming until you are lucky if you have time to even pick up the gun, that's fun and tough pass shooting. Not a mallard or goose loafing by at 40 yards. That's an easy shot.

Although I must admit, a big honker free falling from over 100 feet in the air slamming into the land, water, or ice is pretty cool. :yes:

Oh I saw your first post but it was the second that threw me for a loop!

Bunker
hunter

Postby The Pas Swamp Donkey » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:20 am

I pass shoot at least once a week during the season. It is a quick way to get out and get some birds, give the dog some exercise, and sharpen your skills. We have one well known pass shooting spot in town, and some mornings there are 8 or 10 guys out there, but late season, you can find yourself alone. I like to film my shoots, so I can critique my form and figure out where and how I miss the birds when I do miss them. A lot of days, I am done and home in my driveway before the sun comes up, so the shooting is very quick , right at LST. Here is one morning's shoot. The last shot is an honest 50+ yd shot (I'll claim 60 to anyone :lol3: ) with a 12-14 foot lead.

The video is very dark, but you must remember this is sunrise -30 to just around sunrise.

Yes. I pointed my gun at my dog twice. I now don't follow through all the way down to correct it. It won't happen again.

Video clip

There is no use putting decoys out for these birds. They are all heading to the lake behind me, where there are patches of duckweed loaded with freshwater shrimp. They will loaf and feed there all day, then head back to the marsh at night. I've set decoys out before and they never work.
A GOOD PLUMBER DOESN'T BLAME HIS TOOLS
The Pas Swamp Donkey
hunter

Postby waterdogds » Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:32 am

quailhunter123 wrote:Although I am not a very experienced hunter it seems to me that some forms of pass shooting are for people who don't know how to set up a good decoy spread. For example I have hunted with someone who knows even less about the sport than me but has some really nice property with lots of game. But when I go hunting with them the ducks either; fail to decoy or we have to jump shoot them. Now they are telling me that they are pass shooting even though the ducks they hunt are not migratory or travel in small flocks from 2-8 birds. It appears to me that they do not know how to set up a nice spread and just pass shot. One of them told me that they see lots of birds but they are too far away to shot. So I don't see a reason not to set up a decoy spread. Although I don't hunt that often I know that this does not seem right because I have hunted the property multiple times and it seems to me that a well set up decoy spread would be a great benefit to the hunters. The people who I mostly hunt with are very experience and have hunted many years. When I hunt with the more experienced hunters we see less birds but we get much better results and bag much more.

If they're not migratory, they don't decoy and you have to occasionally jump shoot them, could they be wood ducks? Pass shots will definitely be less efficient than shooting over your dekes. Also, one's knowledge of duck hunting has nothing to do with shooting skills and vice versa.
"He who knows nothing is closer to the truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods and errors." Thomas Jefferson
waterdogds
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole