what to do with mergansers

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: what to do with mergansers

Postby joemc » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:10 pm

don't shoot it if you don't eat it a philosophy I was born and raised with,, and so should every hunter.
TEAM FOWL ADDICTION
2013/14 season
deer-3
woodies-1
ruddys-14
canvasback-2
Canada geese-16
turkey-2 big toms
joemc
hunter

Postby youngoilguy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Compost pile for the garden. I grow serious tomatoes. Chicken poo, leaves, mergs, carp, steelhead and coons make great compost. It ends back into the food cycle
assateague wrote:I hunt to kill. It's why I take a gun instead of a camera. And it's a goose- lighten up.

best quote ever
youngoilguy
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:22 am

Habanero cheese stuffed and bacon wrapped. Grilled.

Makes any taste good, even sea ducks.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby grizz18 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:44 am

We've fed it to the dog and the dog wouldn't eat it. True story.

I like the idea of soaking in something acidic then marinating heavily and making jerky. I don't see how that could possibly be bad. Might try that with 1, and go from there. I could go out and shoot a 5 man limit everyday here.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:53 am

Duck_Stank wrote:I'm from Pennsylvania, so we're instructed not to eat them or any other diving duck. Assumed everywhere was like that but I was wrong!

This is a complete lie. :lol3: All of the PA guys that come here head to the nearest day marker because they are scared to elave the channel and shoot dippers all day. I love it when they show up....keeps the good ducks moving.

As far as mergs....we kill them all season. Best crab pot bait you can find.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:10 am

Have Gun Will Travel wrote:
Duck_Stank wrote:I'm from Pennsylvania, so we're instructed not to eat them or any other diving duck. Assumed everywhere was like that but I was wrong!

This is a complete lie. :lol3: All of the PA guys that come here head to the nearest day marker because they are scared to elave the channel and shoot dippers all day. I love it when they show up....keeps the good ducks moving.

As far as mergs....we kill them all season. Best crab pot bait you can find.

Not sure what you mean by this, but I can show you our regulations and what's recommended to not eat.
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:01 pm

River hunting in Oregon = lots of Mergansers swinging into the dekes. We don't shoot them often simply because we like to save our limits for mallards and others (on good days...) but when we do, we definitely eat them. I've done blind taste tests with non-hunters, and half the folks say they like the Merg better than the Mallard. Don't believe me? Try it, but you've got to prep and cook well.

Clean and get as much sinewy material off the meat as possible. Soak in milk -- I haven't tried anything like soda, but who knows -- for 24 hours+. Slow cooking is better than grilling/pan searing. Crock pot, broil, etc., anything to tenderize. Season to taste.

For "fast" cooking and little prep, non-divers are obviously better than divers. But if you treat it just like any tough piece of meat, with tenderization as #1 and seasoning well, it's good. Try it.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Saltwater_Assassin » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:10 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:I shoot them any chance I get and eat them. No different than a puddle duck if you know your way in the kitchen.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.

Same here as tmclaimerFL, We shoot them all the time and eat them. They taste no different than a puddle duck around here.
"It is impossible to rightly govern the world without God and the Bible"
- George Washington
Saltwater_Assassin
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Dec 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I like to keep a duck in the freezer to work my dog with. I usually use mergansers for that. My wife wants one on the wall though, so I need to get a good one soon for that. The ones I've used for training were to shot up to make a decent mount in my opinion.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby ChasinTail » Thu Dec 05, 2013 1:19 am

JustinNH wrote:Habanero cheese stuffed and bacon wrapped. Grilled.

Makes any taste good, even sea ducks.

Man that sounds good. You use cheddar cheese or what?

I finally tried making some Jalepeno filled with creme cheese and dove wrapped in bacon. Knowing I didn't like creme cheese I tried it anyway, thinking maybe the meat and Jalepeno would tone it down a bit. Spent all that time making a big batch, took the first bite and got mouthful of creme cheese. Just about threw up. Wasn't even spicy either. The dogs sure liked em a lot though
ChasinTail
hunter

Postby rikasam2013 » Thu Dec 05, 2013 8:27 am

I get a few every year, all commons/red breasted and drakes of hooded go in the burger grind, as do divers like goldeneyes.
Scaup and ringers are eaten like any other duck. My trick with all ducks is to let sit in a pan of water, changing every 6-12 hours for 2-3 days. The blood is your enemy to taste. You can just eat any duck after a long soaking actually. Teal and woodies don't really need it, neither do HEN hoodies. Yes HEN hoodies are my favorite duck to eat.
rikasam2013
hunter

what to do with mergansers

Postby WildernessWill » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:42 pm

Boatman wrote:
Explain how you accidently shoot anything? :huh:

It was early and he fluttered in. Looked like a big teal for the 2 seconds before his tragic death. I enjoy the philosophy of shoot first and ask questions later. This merganser made the ultimate sacrifice so that Leroy could make the mornings first retrieve. Mr Merganser did not die in vain, 100 lbs labs can't get all their nutrition from Purina.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edited by WildernessWill on Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildernessWill
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:10 pm

Take 2 merg breasts. Soak over night in worchester sauce/ soy sauce. Add Mortons nature seasoning place on apple board. Grill till medium rare. Feed the breasts to the dog eat the board.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Rat Creek » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:39 pm

Just say no to shooting them. :no:

It will not kill you to leave the shells in your gun.

And then you can avoid the game that is the opposite of "mine." :oops:
Rat Creek
Rat Creek
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:51 pm

steelshotslayer wrote:Take 2 merg breasts. Soak over night in worchester sauce/ soy sauce. Add Mortons nature seasoning place on apple board. Grill till medium rare. Feed the breasts to the dog eat the board.

Never heard that one before

@

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Hutch25 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:28 pm

Heck, we use Merganzers as training ducks for the boys--- as time goes by, they grow out of it- but success is a key issue with hooking a new person on duck hunting, and we all know Mergs die easily. A dumb duck is a gift for a 12 year old boy or girl, and that is the ONLY use for them we have found. (Hoodie Drakes do have good feathers for fly tiers though)

Hutch
Hutch25
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:05 pm

whistlingwings wrote:River hunting in Oregon = lots of Mergansers swinging into the dekes. We don't shoot them often simply because we like to save our limits for mallards and others (on good days...) but when we do, we definitely eat them. I've done blind taste tests with non-hunters, and half the folks say they like the Merg better than the Mallard. Don't believe me? Try it, but you've got to prep and cook well.

Clean and get as much sinewy material off the meat as possible. Soak in milk -- I haven't tried anything like soda, but who knows -- for 24 hours+. Slow cooking is better than grilling/pan searing. Crock pot, broil, etc., anything to tenderize. Season to taste.

For "fast" cooking and little prep, non-divers are obviously better than divers. But if you treat it just like any tough piece of meat, with tenderization as #1 and seasoning well, it's good. Try it.

I've tried them plenty of times and think they are disgusting, but I agree that if you put them in front of non-hunters they'll eat them right up. My ex gf's half retarded cousins thought they were great.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Txseaaggie » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:31 pm

Frylock wrote:half retarded cousins thought they were great.

Got plenty of those. I know what I'll cook them here in a few weeks when I have to look at them again

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
Txseaaggie
hunter

Postby shadowwalker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:42 pm

whistlingwings wrote:River hunting in Oregon = lots of Mergansers swinging into the dekes. We don't shoot them often simply because we like to save our limits for mallards and others (on good days...)

Separate limit, are they not? They are here anyways.
shadowwalker
hunter

Postby Fatback » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:43 pm

Separate limit here too... They are on the sea duck limit (6). So we don't need to worry about the ole Wife's tale about how they can't be eaten.

Sent from the smoker
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Postby shadowwalker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:54 am

Fatback wrote:Separate limit here too... They are on the sea duck limit (6). So we don't need to worry about the ole Wife's tale about how they can't be eaten.

Sent from the smoker

Sea ducks go toward our regular duck limit here. We do get them once in a long while coming off the big pond.
shadowwalker
hunter

Postby Huck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:02 pm

I don't shoot mergansers but I have been known to shoot a coot or two to use for crab bait. Also breasted duck carcasses work too.
Attachments
crab.JPG
Today's haul after work.
Huck
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:14 pm

dungeness? never tried them but want to. i caught several limits of blue claws handlining with pieces of a buffy i had frozen since last winter. i save a lot of necks, wings, spines....from all the ducks and turkey i shoot and then turn it into limits of crab. saves me a few bucks for sure and the crab love it. works just as good or better than chicken necks.

DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:24 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:dungeness? never tried them but want to. i caught several limits of blue claws handlining with pieces of a buffy i had frozen since last winter. i save a lot of necks, wings, spines....from all the ducks and turkey i shoot and then turn it into limits of crab. saves me a few bucks for sure and the crab love it. works just as good or better than chicken necks.

Mmmm. Love blue crabs. I never though of using ducks for bait. It is so on!
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

ducks work juuust fine....i even used a freezer burned piece of bear steak in one of my traps and caught em. not as many as wild fowl though. blue crab just love them some stinky ducks. i normally freeze a mergoonser or two whole, use it a bunch of times for dog work (they freeze and refreeze very well), and then later on quarter them for crab baits. i get lots of use out of them.
Last edited by Professor_Leakey on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole