what to do with mergansers

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: what to do with mergansers

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:33 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:ducks work juuust fine....i even used a freezer burned piece of bear steak in one of my traps and caught em. not as many as wild fowl though. blue crab just love them some stinky ducks.

Thanks prof. I will give it a go.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby Huck » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:45 pm

Yes they are dungeness. Never tried a blue crab myself but I'll find one one of these days. Just got through cooking them and now they are the color most people think of when they think of dungeness crab.
Attachments
crab2.JPG
Huck
hunter

Postby JCraig12 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:02 pm

Smoke em! Kinda tastes like smoked liver. :lol3: Other than that slice them up and marinate them in ginger teriyaki marinade. Little broccoli and some rice, doesn't turn out too bad. That's what we do with most of our divers/sea ducks.
2014 season
Duck- 24
Geese- 13
JCraig12
hunter

Postby whaknstak » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:50 am

Here in Florida you can have six ducks, and five sawbills. Separate bag limits
"Do you care about freedom? Dreams may have inspired it, and wishes prompted it, but only war and weapons have made it yours."

Col Jeff Cooper
whaknstak
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:10 am

whaknstak wrote:Here in Florida you can have six ducks, and five sawbills. Separate bag limits

Except for hoodies.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby NDtrapper97 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:01 am

The two we shot we ate and mounted. I believe that any bird can taste great but its how you prepare it and what other flavors you use. We don't see much in our part of the state in SE North Dakota so we mounted it
NDtrapper97
Newb

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole