Have you noticed this?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Have you noticed this?

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:06 pm

Have you noticed 99% of the people you take duck hunting who have never been don't like it and you end up wasting your time and theirs? I don't even mention to people that I hunt ducks any more in casual conversations. It's not worth the time of going down this road. 99% are not willing to sacrifice what has to be sacrificed to make a good hunt in terms of the amount of work, the cost of gear and enduring bitter conditions. I wish I would have figured this out decades ago. When I do run across a 1 percenter, I will invite them to hunt. A few diagnostic questions easily distinguishes the 1% people.
Metamucil Elite Team
Gold Bond Medicated Lotion Pro Staff
Hugatree
hunter

Re: Have you noticed this?

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:26 pm

No, I have not. Everyone I've introduced to duck hunting loved it and is still doing it. It's nice for me, bc I can usually find someone to hunt with on any given day. Plus, they scout and find new spots and occasionally invite me. Maybe you should invite me on a hunt, so I can figure out where you're going wrong.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:31 pm

With me it's always too cold. The boat ride is too cold or the walk in is too long and invariably after 45 minutes, they're ready to go. Their hands feel like they're falling off or they think their feet are frostbitten or we haven't killed anything or they pull out their call which sounds horrible and scare off what few ducks are coming in. I called in a duck camp for almost 8 years and I am certain I would never baby sit again.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:32 pm

Hugatree wrote:With me it's always too cold. The boat ride is too cold or the walk in is too long and invariably after 45 minutes, they're ready to go. Their hands feel like they're falling off or they think their feet are frostbitten or we haven't killed anything or they pull out their call which sounds horrible and scare off what few ducks are coming in.

....might have something to do with your username on DHC......
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:43 pm

:no: Hugatree
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 1:56 pm

A couple of other things are really cool with new hunters. I really like it when they look right up at the sky as ducks are working when you've already told them four or five times to keep their head down or when they ask if they can bring one friend but show up with five or six at the boat ramp. I love it.

As far as the name, it's all I could come up with at the time. I thought about using a handle like say Excrement Head or Falls in Frequently or Drops Shotgun in Water or His Dog Breaks A Lot but they were too long.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:02 pm

Hugatree wrote:A couple of other things are really cool with new hunters. I really like it when they look right up at the sky as ducks are working when you've already told them four or five times to keep their head down or when they ask if they can bring one friend but show up with five or six at the boat ramp. I love it.

As far as the name, it's all I could come up with at the time. I thought about using a handle like say Excrement Head or Falls in Frequently or Drops Shotgun in Water or His Dog Breaks A Lot but they were too long.

Falls in Frequently or Rips his Waders would be my Native American name for sure.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:43 pm

Mine would be Chief Squealing Call.
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Mon Dec 02, 2013 3:11 pm

Hugatree wrote:Have you noticed 99% of the people you take duck hunting who have never been don't like it and you end up wasting your time and theirs? I don't even mention to people that I hunt ducks any more in casual conversations. It's not worth the time of going down this road. 99% are not willing to sacrifice what has to be sacrificed to make a good hunt in terms of the amount of work, the cost of gear and enduring bitter conditions. I wish I would have figured this out decades ago. When I do run across a 1 percenter, I will invite them to hunt. A few diagnostic questions easily distinguishes the 1% people.

Im 100% with you on this.
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:36 pm

Greenheadindy wrote:
Hugatree wrote:A couple of other things are really cool with new hunters. I really like it when they look right up at the sky as ducks are working when you've already told them four or five times to keep their head down or when they ask if they can bring one friend but show up with five or six at the boat ramp. I love it.

Falls in Frequently or Rips his Waders would be my Native American name for sure.

Mine is aptly named "Runs with Beer"

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Postby Silverback4jack » Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:58 pm

This is my first year hunting ducks and the buddy that invited me may not be so lucky. I'm hooked and can't stop thinking about ducks! Only been twice now but got 4 ducks to my name. I guess one benefit is that it hasn't been super cold for our area yet. This past weekend it was roughly 32-34* out. I can't wait for the next time now. So far I got 2 drake GWT, 1 drake woodie, and 1 hen Ringneck.
Silverback4jack
hunter

Postby Duck_Stank » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:03 pm

Can't beat taking someone out for the first time and watching their face light up. I was told that is what I did years ago, the guys that took me liked that. After taking a few out for the first time it is pretty rewarding to see their excitement!
Master of Reality
Duck_Stank
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:20 pm

I enjoy taking new people out. The only downside is that over the last 3 years, between younger family members and the new guys that have stuck around, I am flat out of space for all of the bodies, and family will just about always take precedence. The plus side, is that they'll be dragging my fat arse around someday. It sure would be nice to have an extra Million or Two laying around to open up my own Club :fingerhead:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:42 pm

I use to take the young bucks now they take this grouchy old folker.
The sad part the kids I use to take are now pushing 50 years old.
Dam I am getting old but still have the spark of cupped up wings over the deks.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Black Brant » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:03 pm

charlie beard wrote:I use to take the young bucks now they take this grouchy old folker.
The sad part the kids I use to take are now pushing 50 years old.
Dam I am getting old but still have the spark of cupped up wings over the deks.

Roger that, guess we keep looking around for some other youngster, grand kids maybe :beer:
Black Brant
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:22 pm

I've taken one noob out and he can't get it out of his system. I have also introduced 3 others to it through just talking and they also can't get enough.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:53 pm

I've taken my pastor's kids four or five times the past two years. They are absolutely hooked.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:28 pm

TexasPuddleJumper wrote:I've taken my pastor's kids four or five times the past two years. They are absolutely hooked.

What's the etiquette for profanity when hunting with a pastor's son?
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby La. Hunter » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:38 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
TexasPuddleJumper wrote:I've taken my pastor's kids four or five times the past two years. They are absolutely hooked.

Probably the same as when I used to play golf with my preacher years ago, just kept my mouth shut and smile.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 02, 2013 10:39 pm

La. Hunter wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Probably the same as when I used to play golf with my preacher years ago, just kept my mouth shut and smile.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:52 am

Locked&Loaded wrote:

I know the proper etiquette for a preacher's daughter...
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Hugatree » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:09 am

EASY!
Metamucil Elite Team
Hugatree
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:56 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Hugatree wrote:EASY!

Yes it is :banana:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 03, 2013 9:18 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Hugatree wrote:EASY!

Yes it is :banana:

:lol3: :lol3:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole