Good Book?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Good Book?

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor


x2



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
User avatar
trowlan1
hunter
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: North Augusta, SC


Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:54 am

trowlan1 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor


x2



Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own that one and the one about Chris kyle.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Good Book?

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
trowlan1 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor


x2




Own that one and the one about Chris kyle.


I'm reading one now my brother in law recommended about a reporters account of Marine 1st Recon's roll in the invasion of Iraq back in '03. It's called "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright. They based an HBO Mini-Series on it. Pretty interesting perspective so far.
User avatar
trowlan1
hunter
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: North Augusta, SC

Re: Good Book?

Postby WTN10 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am

The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.
Last edited by WTN10 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
User avatar
WTN10
hunter
 
Posts: 14031
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Western Tunisia

Re: Good Book?

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am

Image
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..


Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....


:lol3: I am!
User avatar
MarkM
hunter
 
Posts: 2461
Joined: Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:09 pm
Location: Waco, TX

Re: Good Book?

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am

WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.


I'll have to check that out after I finish the book then. Thanks
User avatar
trowlan1
hunter
 
Posts: 724
Joined: Mon Sep 12, 2011 9:46 pm
Location: North Augusta, SC

Re: Good Book?

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 am

WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.

Stay frosty
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
User avatar
whistlin_wings
State Moderator
 
Posts: 9116
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:54 am
Location: CENTEX

Re: Good Book?

Postby troy_iv » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

Has anybody read "Meat Eater" by Steven Rinella? I've been reading some pretty good reviews so far.
User avatar
troy_iv
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:52 pm
Location: CenTex

Re: Good Book?

Postby swampstomperks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:23 pm

cowboy code of the west, a great book for everybody to read
swampstomperks
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Good Book?

Postby swampstomperks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:25 pm

sorry boys looked it up its called "cowboy ethics, what wall street can learn from the code of the west"
swampstomperks
hunter
 
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 3:58 pm

Re: Good Book?

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:12 am

WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.

I wouldn't go as far as best ever, but I was out of town for work at the beginning of the week and when I got sick of working in the evening I started watching it online on your recommendation. I finished it last night :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also finished the book I mentioned earlier in this post. The Bell Curve, written in the '90's, it was extremely controversial and it is obvious why when you read it. It is an extremely thought provoking book if you like to think about politics, the direction of society, and those kind of things. I'd suggest reading the last two chapters first if you are not a political junky, don't like statistics, or have liberal tendencies. It describes very accurately the societal decay that has happened where I grew up over the last few generations.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 16122
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Good Book?

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 am

whistlin_wings wrote:
WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.

Stay frosty

Some good dudes in that book. I have served with some of them and the book is great. Also recommend the book we were one by Patrick o'donnell great book and also some more great dudes that I have served with
User avatar
Duck Nasty
hunter
 
Posts: 512
Joined: Wed Oct 16, 2013 9:58 am
Location: Coastal NC

Re: Good Book?

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Whiskey, Cigars, & Winning: Lessons on Leadership from Ulysses S. Grant
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.



WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
User avatar
DeadEye_Dan
hunter
 
Posts: 2067
Joined: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:32 pm
Location: Great Lakes

Re: Good Book?

Postby send the dog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Lone survivor was a great book, and i'm in the middle of a pretty good one now: Mission Comprimised by Oliver North.
send the dog
hunter
 
Posts: 212
Joined: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:18 pm
Location: Rock and a hard place

Re: Good Book?

Postby assateague » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 am

Bill Herian wrote:I'm reading Oil! by Upton Sinclair.

It's alright so far.

No, I have not read Jungle.

My lady got me the new Game of Thrones book for my birthday. Looking forward to dweebing out with that soon.



You really should read The Jungle. Awesome book, and should be required reading for every fast food worker bucking for $15 an hour.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
User avatar
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire
 
Posts: 21277
Joined: Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:25 pm
Location: Eastern Shore, People's Republic of Maryland

Re: Good Book?

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor


Just finished it. Powerful story.
User avatar
talltimber
hunter
 
Posts: 1780
Joined: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:18 am
Location: SEMO

Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 am

Trout bum was good
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Good Book?

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Good Book?

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

reading is our futre
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

reading is our futre


You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Good Book?

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

reading is our futre


You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you

Actually my mother is from ohio and she told me she wanted me to have a better education than she had.... That must be saying something about yall. To answer your question yes the missionary's did help me read, I can now talk in clicks and ebonics.
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:58 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

reading is our futre


You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you

Actually my mother is from ohio and she told me she wanted me to have a better education than she had.... That must be saying something about yall. To answer your question yes the missionary's did help me read, I can now talk in clicks and ebonics.

I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Good Book?

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....


I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

reading is our futre


You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you

Actually my mother is from ohio and she told me she wanted me to have a better education than she had.... That must be saying something about yall. To answer your question yes the missionary's did help me read, I can now talk in clicks and ebonics.


will the fluent speach of ebonics get me a job?
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
User avatar
quacknstack6
hunter
 
Posts: 6310
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:28 pm
Location: Lexington, Kentucky

Re: Good Book?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 am

Only in certain parts of Cleveland or St Louis.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 12660
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Cujo1, DCronk, Jcochran88, Papachessie, redbeard44, WoodyWhiffingMG and 27 guests