Good Book?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Good Book?

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:24 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor

x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trowlan1
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:54 am

trowlan1 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:Anybody have any good reads lately? I need a new book and am open to suggestions.

And if anyone says '50 shades of grey', I will hunt you down and gut you like a fish.

Lone Survivor

x2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Own that one and the one about Chris kyle.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
trowlan1 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Lone Survivor

x2

Own that one and the one about Chris kyle.

I'm reading one now my brother in law recommended about a reporters account of Marine 1st Recon's roll in the invasion of Iraq back in '03. It's called "Generation Kill" by Evan Wright. They based an HBO Mini-Series on it. Pretty interesting perspective so far.
trowlan1
hunter

Postby WTN10 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:07 am

The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.
Last edited by WTN10 on Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
WTN10
hunter

Postby MarkM » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:09 am

possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby trowlan1 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:17 am

WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.

I'll have to check that out after I finish the book then. Thanks
trowlan1
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:52 am

WTN10 wrote:The miniseries on HBO is one of the best things I've seen in my life. A couple of the actual Marines have parts in the series. Fruity Rudy even plays himself.

Stay frosty
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby troy_iv » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:27 am

Has anybody read "Meat Eater" by Steven Rinella? I've been reading some pretty good reviews so far.
troy_iv
hunter

Postby swampstomperks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:23 pm

cowboy code of the west, a great book for everybody to read
swampstomperks
hunter

Postby swampstomperks » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:25 pm

sorry boys looked it up its called "cowboy ethics, what wall street can learn from the code of the west"
swampstomperks
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:12 am

I wouldn't go as far as best ever, but I was out of town for work at the beginning of the week and when I got sick of working in the evening I started watching it online on your recommendation. I finished it last night :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I also finished the book I mentioned earlier in this post. The Bell Curve, written in the '90's, it was extremely controversial and it is obvious why when you read it. It is an extremely thought provoking book if you like to think about politics, the direction of society, and those kind of things. I'd suggest reading the last two chapters first if you are not a political junky, don't like statistics, or have liberal tendencies. It describes very accurately the societal decay that has happened where I grew up over the last few generations.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Duck Nasty » Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:23 am

whistlin_wings wrote:

Stay frosty

Some good dudes in that book. I have served with some of them and the book is great. Also recommend the book we were one by Patrick o'donnell great book and also some more great dudes that I have served with
Duck Nasty
hunter

Postby DeadEye_Dan » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:03 pm

Whiskey, Cigars, & Winning: Lessons on Leadership from Ulysses S. Grant
assateague wrote:Wives are all against super cool, awesome ideas. If Columbus had been married, we'd all still be European.

WisconsinWaterfowler wrote: You just have to use the back of your throat and hum. That's how I would describe it anyways.
DeadEye_Dan
hunter

Postby send the dog » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:55 pm

Lone survivor was a great book, and i'm in the middle of a pretty good one now: Mission Comprimised by Oliver North.
send the dog
hunter

Postby assateague » Sat Jan 18, 2014 6:23 am

Bill Herian wrote:I'm reading Oil! by Upton Sinclair.

It's alright so far.

No, I have not read Jungle.

My lady got me the new Game of Thrones book for my birthday. Looking forward to dweebing out with that soon.

You really should read The Jungle. Awesome book, and should be required reading for every fast food worker bucking for $15 an hour.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby talltimber » Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:37 am

Indaswamp wrote:

Lone Survivor

Just finished it. Powerful story.
talltimber
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:35 am

Trout bum was good
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:42 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Trout bum was good

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:45 am

quacknstack6 wrote:

I call bullchit, unless it was a coloring book then you didnt read it big words like "the, fish, caught" confuse you. Did your daughter read them to you as a bedtime story....

I used Hooked on muthaeffn phonics. I be good reader now.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:47 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

reading is our futre
assateague wrote:When. I. Kill. One. You. Bastards. Are. Never. Gonna. Hear. The. End. Of. It.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:51 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

reading is our futre

You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:55 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

reading is our futre

You must have learned to read in Africa. I know for a fact no one in Kentucky reads over a 2nd grade level. Did the missionary's teach you

Actually my mother is from ohio and she told me she wanted me to have a better education than she had.... That must be saying something about yall. To answer your question yes the missionary's did help me read, I can now talk in clicks and ebonics.
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 7:58 am

quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

reading is our futre

Actually my mother is from ohio and she told me she wanted me to have a better education than she had.... That must be saying something about yall. To answer your question yes the missionary's did help me read, I can now talk in clicks and ebonics.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby quacknstack6 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:02 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
quacknstack6 wrote:

reading is our futre

will the fluent speach of ebonics get me a job?
quacknstack6
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:06 am

Only in certain parts of Cleveland or St Louis.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole