Hunting with lead

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Hunting with lead

Postby Underradar » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:57 am

3" Nitro-mags, 1 7/8 #4. None of that sissy Pheasant stuff.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby Jake88 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:39 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Jake88 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:should be plenty of pheasant loads that would do just fine.

this'll work....
but get 'em in 3" if you can find them...

I've been using these for squirrels, when they're in the top of the big white oaks. Man I'd love to duck hunt with these shells!!

try those with a turkey choke for squirrels at the top of white oaks.... :yes: :yes:

Oh I do!! A kicks .655 as a matter of fact!!
Jake88
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:44 am

D Comeaux wrote:Memories.

m5Scsz5ygMvoTmzl2aQMHUg[1].jpg

My buddy got checked by a conservation officer using those. We were way younger at the time and just assumed they were steel shells since they said duck load on them on until the CO told us otherwise. He was a cool cat tho, just told him not to use it.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:53 am

I dont remember being able to use lead. Did it make much of a difference? We shoot kent steel and it seems to do a decent job of killing ducks, especially in the right hands (not particularly me but my brother who is a pretty good shot). Would be fun to get a couple good hunts with lead just to see the difference.
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

Its always duck season, there is just a long break from february to september.
KAhunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 11:59 am

Yes, IMO it made a difference...particularly because the new steel loads at the time were crap and steel shop pellet sizes were inconsistent and not uniformly round unless you used BB shot. Took a while for them to figure things out. They also had to develop new faster burning powder for higher muzzle velocities.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby KAhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:02 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Yes, IMO it made a difference...particularly because the new steel loads at the time were crap and steel shop pellet sizes were inconsistent and not uniformly round unless you used BB shot. Took a while for them to figure things out. They also had to develop new faster burning powder for higher muzzle velocities.

Do you think it makes much of a difference to the steel they have now??
"If you have to be crazy to be a duck hunter, i dont wish to be sane" Robert Ruark

KAhunter
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:37 pm

KAhunter wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Yes, IMO it made a difference...particularly because the new steel loads at the time were crap and steel shop pellet sizes were inconsistent and not uniformly round unless you used BB shot. Took a while for them to figure things out. They also had to develop new faster burning powder for higher muzzle velocities.

Do you think it makes much of a difference to the steel they have now??

yes notice how everyone said they would shoot #6 lead... Lead has more knock down it transfers energy to the bird better for more knockdown power. A well placed shot will kill with either however with lead your shot size is smaller so denser patterns and tighter chokes....

Steel is lighter and don't choke as well and loses momentum faster....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:47 pm

We can use Lead shot on cranes in lubbock texas. Cranes are migratory birds-like doves, but not considered waterfowl. I will be shooting 3 1/2" lead #2's with 2 oz of shot through an Improved modified. shots should be 35~45 yards.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:33 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I will be shooting 3 1/2" lead #2's with 2 oz of shot through an Improved modified.

That ought to wallop 'em.
Do a barrel roll.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:44 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:I will be shooting 3 1/2" lead #2's with 2 oz of shot through an Improved modified.

Ought to wallop swamp to... I think I would rather be on the receiving end of that load than the giving end. When we were in Canada and shot 9 boxes of 3-1/2 inch bb in the first 6 days my rotator cuff hurt for a month.... :eek:
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:46 pm

18javelin wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Ought to wallop swamp to... I think I would rather be on the receiving end of that load than the giving end. When we were in Canada and shot 9 boxes of 3-1/2 inch bb in the first 6 days my rotator cuff hurt for a month.... :eek:

limit on cranes is only 3...I don't plan on shooting a lot of those loads.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby LiquidA45 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 1:50 pm

quailhunter123 wrote:
:-) wrote:
jcz wrote:
Jake88 wrote:Man I'd love to duck hunt with these shells!!

Go ahead. I ain't illegal til ya get caught. :biggrin:

And if you do get caught it's only $50.00 per round...just don't carry more than a box, and you'll be fine.

What would happen if you reloaded shells that hulls "fast steel" with leads, would they cut the open to check?

they don't read what it says, they use a magnet on the end of their plug checker
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:02 pm

KAhunter wrote:I dont remember being able to use lead. Did it make much of a difference?

I lived in Ohio when it was one of the first states to require steel, but only in what was then it's north zone, and I alternated back and forth between south zone lead and early steel a fair bit without getting mad at steel - even though most of my north zone hunting was for geese.

Popular opinion also took a hickey in blind steel vs lead shot studies, where only one such showed steel to cripple significantly more birds at ranges under 35 meters (or yards?). At ranges over that, where lead should have shown its ballistic superiority, it actually did a bit worse than steel, though not by a statistically significant margin. Interestingly, the great majority of hunters in the study were shooting full chokes no one would suggest shooting steel at short range with, and it seems plain the majority also couldn't shoot well enough to take advantage of lead's long range superiority.

On another personal note, I bought my first 12ga in the 1970s because I didn't feel even my hottest 20ga high antimony lead #4 or 5 handloads were sufficient for ducks. Yet, I've done most of my duck hunting the past however-many seasons with Kent's 2 3/4" 20ga Upland Steel 5s.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby KAhunter » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:30 pm

What did it do to choke difference?? I shoot modificied now at everything. Was it different with lead?

KAhunter
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:35 pm

KAhunter wrote:What did it do to choke difference?? I shoot modificied now at everything. Was it different with lead?

the lead pellets were softer than steel and prone to deform upon passing through the choke. this produced more flier pellets and a more open pattern than with steel shot. steel through a modified/improved modified choke is about like lead through full choke.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:37 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
KAhunter wrote:What did it do to choke difference?? I shoot modificied now at everything. Was it different with lead?

the lead pellets were softer than steel and prone to deform upon passing through the choke. this produced more flier pellets and a more open pattern than with steel shot. steel through a modified/improved modified choke is about like lead through full choke.

^This
The lead deformation isn't as bad with modern shot cups though.
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 03, 2013 2:41 pm

Full chokes were de rigueur in South Louisiana at the time that study was done and tended to blow steel patterns.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby greenster » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Been saving a box of these for a while:

"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut, KM Cut Black Monster, LC cut BSOD, RNT Timber hog, 6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby quailhunter123 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 pm

LiquidA45 wrote:
quailhunter123 wrote:
jcz wrote:
Jake88 wrote:Man I'd love to duck hunt with these shells!!

Go ahead. I ain't illegal til ya get caught. :biggrin:

And if you do get caught it's only $50.00 per round...just don't carry more than a box, and you'll be fine.

What would happen if you reloaded shells that hulls "fast steel" with leads, would they cut the open to check?

they don't read what it says, they use a magnet on the end of their plug checker

That sucks. You could put something magnetic in it but by then you are trying way to hard and might as well buy tungsten/heavy shot.
"Remember don't tell your mother what went on in the duck blind"
Remington 11-87
Browning Magnum Auto 5 20
Remington Versa Max
Winchester Model 50 20 gauge
quailhunter123
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:46 pm

greenster wrote:Been saving a box of these for a while:

I've got 8+ boxes of those high brass westerns, a box of cil canuks, and a box of peters paper hulls. all lead #6 duck/pheasant loads.
Hoarding ammo before it was cool.
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 03, 2013 6:55 pm

found (14 shells) heavy shot 3 1/2" B's 2oz. of shot in a bag in the bottom of my shell stash.... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Dec 03, 2013 7:42 pm

I love leaving cripples with lead shot :beer:
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby :-) » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:35 pm

TexasPuddleJumper wrote:

I've got 8+ boxes of those high brass westerns, a box of cil canuks, and a box of peters paper hulls. all lead #6 duck/pheasant loads.

Would you be interested in selling a box or two? I have a duck call collection, and want to start collecting old ammo.
:-)
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm

TexasPuddleJumper wrote:

Would you be interested in selling a box or two? I have a duck call collection, and want to start collecting old ammo.

Let me mull it over for a while...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole