Your personal worst

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Your personal worst

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:20 pm

Oh man. Good stuff. Well I had a boating accident when I was 15/16. Was hunting with an older friend,temp was in the 20's. cold for us. He had a 14 fiberglass boat with a 35 hp. We were probably 10 miles from landing. We have some big rivers but between them are lots of smaller creeks. We were on the way back running creeks. We I say running I mean as hard as we could. The boat handled great but would slide in turns so you would go into turn hard then snatch tiller handle and boat would
grab on its edge and go through turn like a slalom ski! Well we went into this one turn a little to hot and about as quick as he snatched the handle the boat caught on edge and flipped opposite way. When I came up from under water my buddy in middle of creek hollering about chest and boat upside down floating. Apparently when boat flipped cowl came down on buddy's chest. Well I pulled him to the hill then went back to get the boat.Pulled boat up to hill and somehow got it flipped over. Found pliers/wrench in dry box and pulled plugs pulled started to clear cylinders. And from the grace of God we got engine started bailed water out of boat. Crept all the back to landing seemed like days. I have NEVER been so cold. I do remember when we got back to my buddy's house taking a shower and
not using any hot water straight cold and it was wonderful .Crawled in bed and didn't get up until the next day.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:27 pm

I rode my buddies Arabian horse. Two times trotting around the barn. The third time I saw the horse's eyes bulg and it took off running (towards the concrete horse trough).
I realized what was about to happen and slipped/jumped/fell off.
It took a good hour to catch it.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:39 pm

Rear ended a truck 19 years ago this week, while coming home from bowhunting. No seatbelt but I had so much clothes on and drive close to the steering wheel so I hit the door top rail instead of going through the windshield. Truck was stopped to make a turn on a dark road and had no lights. Still don't remember seeing it. Fortunately no serious injuries but if i had a passenger they would not have been so lucky. The guy that stopped and sat with me till the ambulance arrived said the whole time I was babbling on about a big buck I had seen. (I hadn't seen a buck that evening)..........
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sat Dec 07, 2013 5:55 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Man....I have lead a sheltered life....I surf, fish, hunt and played hockey in HS and Coll.....i broke one pinky finger and a toe....
other than that...the worst thing I ever did was light a piece of juicy fruit gum on fire and then panic because it got too close to my finger...so I threw it in my mouth.... :no:

I'm with you Slack. Couple stitches here and there, a fractured wrist from my first and last time on a skateboard, and a few rolled ankles and strawberries from baseball. I guess I was too occupied with other things to do stupid stuff.

Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.

Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
tmclaimerFL
hunter

Your personal worst

Postby Frylock » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Got separated from my buddies boat while freedive spearfishing several miles south of Block Island last summer. Coast Guard was called and a 300' NOAA research vessel was diverted to aid in the search.......let me tell you, being lost in six to eight foot seas forces you come to terms with the likely end of your life.
Frylock
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:40 pm

Motor cycle crash in a turn at about 50 front end slid out in some sand . Good case of road rash and broken collar bone.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:25 pm

Frylock wrote:Got separated from my buddies boat while freedive spearfishing several miles south of Block Island last summer. Coast Guard was called and a 300' NOAA research vessel was diverted to aid in the search.......let me tell you, being lost in six to eight foot seas forces you come to terms with the likely end of your life.

Jay?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:06 pm

Got hit head on by an F150 while driving a ninja 636 a few years back. Cracked my helmet in 3 places, ripped all the skin off the right side of my body, my ankle bone was sticking out, had a hole all the way to my right elbow. Took 3 months to heal up completely. Also, a year ago had a heating pack fresh out of the microwave melt into my right hand peeled about half a inch of flesh off my index finger and middle finger along with a quarter inch from my ring finger and palm 3rd and second degree burns.. 5 hour surgery, no finger prints, and some dead guys skin later I was out of the hospital and then a month recovery I went in to have a second graft put on and they said I was fine thank God.
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:14 pm

Frylock wrote:Got separated from my buddies boat while freedive spearfishing several miles south of Block Island last summer. Coast Guard was called and a 300' NOAA research vessel was diverted to aid in the search.......let me tell you, being lost in six to eight foot seas forces you come to terms with the likely end of your life.

Absolutely horrifying. They'd have found a dead body because I would have killed myself.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 07, 2013 8:36 pm

Botiz630 wrote:

Absolutely horrifying. They'd have found a dead body because I would have killed myself.

Are you insane.....?
You FLOAT....so FLOAT.....chill!...jeees..
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:00 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:Asked a really attractice girl to home coming in high school. She said somebody else had already asked her. Fractured my ego.

Build a cast out of your favorite liquor. Heals instantly! :thumbsup:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sat Dec 07, 2013 9:37 pm

Well, I'm 59 so I've had ample time for the stupidity in me to surface. A short list would be put down several bikes, tried to get cocky at a biker bar (and I'm not even a skilled fighter), shot myself in hand, bitten by rattlesnake, drove a hot-rod truck into the side of a house, rolled another pickup down a canyon, got (accidentally) stabbed, headed for the bottom of a deep river pool in old canvas waders several times, swamped an aluminum boat in the wake of a large river cargo boat, broken more knuckles on my hands than I have knuckles, attempted to retrieve stolen items twice with handgun in tow (one was cooperative, the other not at home. However, the group not at home were later arrested for the murder of a girl), fallen off an icy two-story roof onto a glass patio table, decided I was going to settle the score for perceived transgressions against a college track team with a softball bat, had guns pointed at me several times, but never in a situation in which I felt I was going to be shot, considered the full-length side-zipper on a waitesses leather outfit a "pull cord",....and worst of all, asked "jokingly" if the pilot of a commercial flight had been drinking. Seemed funny to me at the time. This is the condensed version of my life, not taking into account the repurcussions of just having a problem at times with police that I consider to have cocky attitudes, treating my body as a laboratory for a few years, and considering married women much easier than single ones as they are so vulnerable to attention and appreciation.
Would have myself a lot of time and anguish, plus a few scars, if I'd realized the truth in an old Faces song....."I wish that I knew all I know now, when I was younger...." :no:
Forgot a kind of funny one...a friend and I were out frog-gigging. Everyone that has ever done it knows the state of mind you are in while frog-gigging. We decided in the middle of the night to try a different spot, so we threw the little cartop boat into the bed of my pickup and took off. We were driving through waist high weeds on flat ground so the speed crept up in the 40-50 mph range just for fun. We gigged until near sun up, loaded the boat and started heading back. That's when I realized that at 50 mph I had crossed a slough on two 4 x 12's. 6" either way would have left a mark! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:00 pm

Slack Tide wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Are you insane.....?

Uh yeah, that plan works well until the white tips are ripping you to shreds.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Preacher1011 » Sat Dec 07, 2013 10:04 pm

High sided my motorcycle wearing shorts 3 weeks before the academy. Road rash on my legs was crazy and they thought I broke my left foot. The road rash was way worse than being on crutches...
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby copterdoc » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:14 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:

Are you insane.....?

Uh yeah, that plan works well until the white tips are ripping you to shreds.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby 2thepoint » Sat Dec 07, 2013 11:56 pm

02-02-02 racing snocross I was leading race and fell off on last lap on 80' table top jump. The guy behind me landed on me. Broke left tib/fib in 13 pieces. Broke right femur and cracked right pelvis in half. I have a rod from right pelvis to knee cap and rods/pins from left knee to ankle and bone still sticks out. I am lucky to be alive. Sled hit my chest initially right below my neck. Everyday I still think about that crash because I can feel it every step I take.
Attachments
image.jpg
May I be half the man my bird dog thinks I am.

Impulse Outdoors on Facebook
2thepoint
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:16 am

2thepoint wrote:02-02-02 racing snocross I was leading race and fell off on last lap on 80' table top jump. The guy behind me landed on me. Broke left tib/fib in 13 pieces. Broke right femur and cracked right pelvis in half. I have a rod from right pelvis to knee cap and rods/pins from left knee to ankle and bone still sticks out. I am lucky to be alive. Sled hit my chest initially right below my neck. Everyday I still think about that crash because I can feel it every step I take.

Wow! Sorry you have to live with that brother. I, personally, have a huge amount of optimism about the future of medical advancements. 5 years from now what is required to alleviate your pain and make you more mobile may be routine. Best of luck!
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:16 am

Back in September some buddies and I were boating, tubing, skiing out in a waterway. It was plenty wide so the bank being completely covered with cypress knees didn't bother me.
On the last tube of the day, my buddy and I were tubing in tandem, two separate tubes out at once. My rope was the rope that had a tad more slack in it, which was fine with me because the more slack you had, the faster you'd be whipped around on turns. After doing some back and forths my buddy hit the wake, tried to get some air and fell off. The driver seeing my buddy bail off whipped it around full speed and had me holding on for dear life accelerating around the boat as it did it's full-speed 180. After the boat had completed it's u turn I slowly realized that even though it's 180 had stopped, I was still barreling around full speed. Before I could fully grasp what was going on I turned my head to see the bank coming at me, quick.

I woke up face up in the waterway, my friends swimming to me (too shallow for the boat to come right to me). I heard one ask if I was dead and the other say he's not sure.

Once my tube caught the cypress knees, I ended up flying off full speed, dragging my legs across the cypress knees mid air, and bouncing off a cypress tree before landing about 5ft off the bank in some shallow water, unconscious. When they got me to the boat I was in and out of consciousness and apparently showing signs of shock, shaking violently with glazed over eyes and a cold body temp (buddy's dad is a doc, hearing him explain it all afterwards was like hearing a horror story).

I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that, beside bruising all over, I had permanent muscle damage to my right tibialis anterior (muscle above shin), a dislocated right hip, and very severe bruising to my whole right abdominal area. The doctor kept mentioning how surprised he was at how awful my right leg was, but how I didn't have any broken ribs, but instead the bruising on my abdomen seemed very uniform.

It wasn't until later when we were home unloading the boat that we took a look at the life jacket and saw the tattered, wore down, compacted right side of it, right where my abdominal bruising was. When I bounced off the tree I must have hit the floatations inside the life jacket perfectly square.

So not only did my life jacket save my life when I was unconscious in the water, I'm convinced it saved my life when I hit the tree. Had I not been wearing one at that speed my ribs would have punctured my lungs for sure. Had I hit anywhere near my neck or head I would have died, I'm sure of that as well.

Someone was definitely looking out for me that day, and they continued to because I made a full recovery and the only long lasting effects are that my right shin seems to get sore (shin splints) very easily and my right hip pops every now and again. (The doc putting that thing back into place SUCKED).

It was definitely a humbling experience, one I am sure I'll not ever forget.

PS-Sorry if this post isn't grammatically correct or doesn't flow well, it's late and study for finals has fried my mental capacity for the night.
Last edited by MODuckkiller on Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby MODuckkiller » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:21 am

PSS- I deleted all the pictures I had of it, the few I had. Following that day at the hospital I went through a weird, short, humbling bout of depression and I needed to get rid of it all. The girlfriend may still had a few pictures, but I asked her to get rid of them as well.
MIZ
-MODuckkiller
MODuckkiller
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:29 am

MODuckkiller wrote:Back in August some buddies and I were boating, tubing, skiing out in a waterway. It was plenty wide so the bank being completely covered with cypress knees didn't bother me.
On the last tube of the day, my buddy and I were tubing in tandem, two separate tubes out at once. My rope was the rope that had a tad more slack in it, which was fine with me because the more slack you had, the faster you'd be whipped around on turns. After doing some back and forths my buddy hit the wake, tried to get some air and fell off. The driver seeing my buddy bail off whipped it around full speed and had me holding on for dear life accelerating around the boat as it did it's full-speed 180. After the boat had completed it's u turn I slowly realized that even though it's 180 had stopped, I was still barreling around full speed. Before I could fully grasp what was going on I turned my head to see the bank coming at me, quick.

I woke up face up in the waterway, my friends swimming to me (too shallow for the boat to come right to me). I heard one ask if I was dead and the other say he's not sure.

Once my tube caught the cypress knees, I ended up flying off full speed, dragging my legs across the cypress knees mid air, and bouncing off a cypress tree before landing about 5ft off the bank in some shallow water, unconscious. When they got me to the boat I was in and out of consciousness and apparently showing signs of shock, shaking violently with glazed over eyes and a cold body temp (buddy's dad is a doc, hearing him explain it all afterwards was like hearing a horror story).

I went to the hospital and the doctor told me that, beside bruising all over, I had permanent muscle damage to my right tibialis anterior (muscle above shin), a dislocated right hip, and very severe bruising to my whole right abdominal area. The doctor kept mentioning how surprised he was at how awful my right leg was, but how I didn't have any broken ribs, but instead the bruising on my abdomen seemed very uniform.

It wasn't until later when we were home unloading the boat that we took a look at the life jacket and saw the tattered, wore down, compacted right side of it, right where my abdominal bruising was. When I bounced off the tree I must have hit the floatations inside the life jacket perfectly square.

So not only did my life jacket save my life when I was unconscious in the water, I'm convinced it saved my life when I hit the tree. Had I not been wearing one at that speed my ribs would have punctured my lungs for sure. Had I hit anywhere near my neck or head I would have died, I'm sure of that as well.

Someone was definitely looking out for me that day, and they continued to because I made a full recovery and the only long lasting effects are that my right shin seems to get sore (shin splints) very easily and my right hip pops every now and again. (The doc putting that thing back into place SUCKED).

It was definitely a humbling experience, one I am sure I'll not ever forget.

PS-Sorry if this post isn't grammatically correct or doesn't flow well, it's late and study for finals has fried my mental capacity for the night.

You did great grammatically. Most of us are functionally illiterate anyway! Jeez...it all boils down to how lucky we've been at one time or another. Imagine the odds they would have given you if they had staged it and run through the scenario. :eek: There have been a LOT of situations I should not have woken up from. But noooooo.....there's that damned rooster again! :lol3: :beer: Or siren in a few cases! :lol3:
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Glimmerjim » Sun Dec 08, 2013 3:43 am

MODuckkiller wrote:PSS- I deleted all the pictures I had of it, the few I had. Following that day at the hospital I went through a weird, short, humbling bout of depression and I needed to get rid of it all. The girlfriend may still had a few pictures, but I asked her to get rid of them as well.

I had some pictures of when I shot myself in the finger with a 38 +P at a distance of about....oh......half an inch! :lol3: My wife disposed of those, too! The surgeon was understandably proud of his work. Not very ugly and the bone regenerated into a fully funtional finger. Becoming a little twisted as I age, though, but after 36 years I can't complain too much! And never any pain! Kinda funny story....any gunshot wound a cop has to investigate, at least in CA. This guy comes into the surgery prep area of the ER, asks how I'm doing, what and where it happened, yada yada. He asks to take a look at it so I lift my hand out of the solution. His reaction is a grimace, and he says, "Jeez, I just got a whole lot more respect for my handgun!" :lol3: Really a nice guy,though.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby Frylock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:43 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Jay?

Ya got me, who dat?
Frylock
hunter

Postby Frylock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:49 am

Botiz630 wrote:

Keeping the panic in check was way harder than staying afloat, as Slack pointed out. But I wasn't worried about sharks at all......what terrified me was NOT being located, I learned that there really is nothing to fear but fear itself.
Frylock
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:13 am

Frylock wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
Jay?

Ya got me, who dat?

I'll give you one hint......
Attachments
photo-19.JPG
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby Frylock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:07 am

Slack Tide wrote:
Frylock wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
Jay?

Ya got me, who dat?

I'll give you one hint......

Awe....they look lonely.