Your personal worst

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Re: Your personal worst

Postby Frylock » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:13 am

Worst (dumbest) this year...while taking it out of the package. Severed my extensor tendon which required surgery to repair.
ImageImageImageImageImage
Frylock
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Sun Dec 08, 2013 9:18 am

The other major sickness I have besides duck hunting is motor cross, so can't remember the number of broken bones/surgeries. The last injury was somewhat humorous after I shook it off. Launched the bike off a small jump in the woods, but didn't see the branch hanging across the trail about 8 foot up. Well, I should say I didn't see it until I was in the air. Had a split second decision to make- protect head with hands or hold onto bike and try somehow to duck under. Well, the split second goes by and I'm still thinking, so face meets branch. My head hurt and I broke 2 teeth, but my bike was ok, so went ahead and finished that enduro. Didn't do too well bc I kept having to stop and spit the blood/tooth remnants out of my mouth.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:40 pm

Jumped off a cliff skiing two years ago and caught my back tips on the rock and fell 20ft on my head/neck. Literally had my life flash before my eyes as I was falling. Luckily it had just snowed a foot so it broke my fall fairly well. All I ended up doing was messing up my ribs, none broken though, and twisting my back all out of whack.
duckman27
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:49 pm

Glimmerjim wrote:Well, I'm 59 so I've had ample time for the stupidity in me to surface. A short list would be put down several bikes, tried to get cocky at a biker bar (and I'm not even a skilled fighter), shot myself in hand, bitten by rattlesnake, drove a hot-rod truck into the side of a house, rolled another pickup down a canyon, got (accidentally) stabbed, headed for the bottom of a deep river pool in old canvas waders several times, swamped an aluminum boat in the wake of a large river cargo boat, broken more knuckles on my hands than I have knuckles, attempted to retrieve stolen items twice with handgun in tow (one was cooperative, the other not at home. However, the group not at home were later arrested for the murder of a girl), fallen off an icy two-story roof onto a glass patio table, decided I was going to settle the score for perceived transgressions against a college track team with a softball bat, had guns pointed at me several times, but never in a situation in which I felt I was going to be shot, considered the full-length side-zipper on a waitesses leather outfit a "pull cord",....and worst of all, asked "jokingly" if the pilot of a commercial flight had been drinking. Seemed funny to me at the time. This is the condensed version of my life, not taking into account the repurcussions of just having a problem at times with police that I consider to have cocky attitudes, treating my body as a laboratory for a few years, and considering married women much easier than single ones as they are so vulnerable to attention and appreciation.
Would have myself a lot of time and anguish, plus a few scars, if I'd realized the truth in an old Faces song....."I wish that I knew all I know now, when I was younger...." :no:
Forgot a kind of funny one...a friend and I were out frog-gigging. Everyone that has ever done it knows the state of mind you are in while frog-gigging. We decided in the middle of the night to try a different spot, so we threw the little cartop boat into the bed of my pickup and took off. We were driving through waist high weeds on flat ground so the speed crept up in the 40-50 mph range just for fun. We gigged until near sun up, loaded the boat and started heading back. That's when I realized that at 50 mph I had crossed a slough on two 4 x 12's. 6" either way would have left a mark! :lol3:

I like your style Jim.... And your sense of humor... :clapping:

:fingerhead:
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Dec 08, 2013 11:23 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Frylock wrote:Got separated from my buddies boat while freedive spearfishing several miles south of Block Island last summer. Coast Guard was called and a 300' NOAA research vessel was diverted to aid in the search.......let me tell you, being lost in six to eight foot seas forces you come to terms with the likely end of your life.

Absolutely horrifying. They'd have found a dead body because I would have killed myself.

When I was in high school I nearly drowned. Some friends decided to swim across this lake at the state park we were at, must have been a few hundred yards. It was really stupid of me and I totally overestimated my swimming ability and underestimated the distance. About halfway across one calf cramped, then the other. No one was watching or was aware I was out there. I was starting to go under, then I started thinking "you know, I'm only 17, that'd kinda suck if I died right now". Somehow despite having both legs cramped, I had enough determination to force them to work and had enough arm strength to make it.
Learned 2 things from that: Don't do anything that stupid again, and learn to swim better.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ArkansasRobertson » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:27 am

Botiz630 wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:
ArkansasRobertson wrote:I got drunk one night and circumsized myself when I was a junior in college.

Alrighty then......that's the end of this thread

Botiz630 wrote:Normally I think Arkansasrobertson is a total moron.

I stand by my statement.

quit stalking me
ArkansasRobertson
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 am

Got knocked out cold in football twice. Got in a fight with a guy who had a gun in his waistband(didn't know he had it). Fell out of a deerstand and cracked ribs.

The worst and I can post pictures for confirmation is I ripped my nutsack open when I was 4 years old climbing a tree, got 6 stitches, a sweet scar, and a great conversation piece for the ladies.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:38 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:Got knocked out cold in football twice. Got in a fight with a guy who had a gun in his waistband(didn't know he had it). Fell out of a deerstand and cracked ribs.

The worst and I can post pictures for confirmation is I ripped my nutsack open when I was 4 years old climbing a tree, got 6 stitches, a sweet scar, and a great conversation piece for the ladies.

hahahaha NO NO NONO NONONONO thats ok, i think well pass on that. :lol:
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 8:00 am

Had a lady T-bone my truck at 75-80 MPH when I was 17. She hit right behind my driver side door. her Grandprix was short enough she wedged right under my truck. In a state of semi shock I slammed the gas peddle down and drove right over top of her.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:15 am

man she had to be about 230, tall as andre the giant, and three different colors of hair... like fraggle rock status. could have mistaken her for a yeti in the dark.... oh sorry only read the title :lol3: :hammer:
lbhansford
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:21 am

Dirt Bike........first and only time I've ever been one one...I was 16-17 yrs old

road around for about 15-20 minutes just to "get the hang of it". some friends were riding down into a dried up creek bed and jumping up and out of the other side of it. so I got brave and did it 2 or 3 times kinda slowly, only getting maybe 10-12" off the ground. decided it wasn't too hard and I wanted to show off a little.

so I hit it full speed like my buddies who'd been riding since they were 6 or 7yrs old. got 4 or 5 ft off the ground but didn't get the nose down at all. landed on back wheel and rode a wheelie a few feet. felt like I was going to fall of the back and I guess in an effort to hang on tighter, I twisted the throttle. it flipped the bike the rest of the way over backwards and slammed me down on the ground, butt-first in a sitting position. I was 100% sure I had broken my back. knocked the wind out of me and couldn't breathe or move at all. luckily I'd only "jammed" my back and not broken anything, but could barely get out of bed for a week.
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Greenheadindy » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:45 am

GomerPyle wrote:Dirt Bike........first and only time I've ever been one one...I was 16-17 yrs old

road around for about 15-20 minutes just to "get the hang of it". some friends were riding down into a dried up creek bed and jumping up and out of the other side of it. so I got brave and did it 2 or 3 times kinda slowly, only getting maybe 10-12" off the ground. decided it wasn't too hard and I wanted to show off a little.

so I hit it full speed like my buddies who'd been riding since they were 6 or 7yrs old. got 4 or 5 ft off the ground but didn't get the nose down at all. landed on back wheel and rode a wheelie a few feet. felt like I was going to fall of the back and I guess in an effort to hang on tighter, I twisted the throttle. it flipped the bike the rest of the way over backwards and slammed me down on the ground, butt-first in a sitting position. I was 100% sure I had broken my back. knocked the wind out of me and couldn't breathe or move at all. luckily I'd only "jammed" my back and not broken anything, but could barely get out of bed for a week.

Whiskey throttle- hilarious to watch, terrifying to experience.
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Had a lady T-bone my truck at 75-80 MPH when I was 17. She hit right behind my driver side door. her Grandprix was short enough she wedged right under my truck. In a state of semi shock I slammed the gas peddle down and drove right over top of her.

I see where your defensive driving comes from :lol3:
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:55 am

Bill Herian wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Had a lady T-bone my truck at 75-80 MPH when I was 17. She hit right behind my driver side door. her Grandprix was short enough she wedged right under my truck. In a state of semi shock I slammed the gas peddle down and drove right over top of her.

I see where your defensive driving comes from :lol3:

:lol3:
It was a traumatic experience for a young boy...
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:56 am

And my truck is still new(ish)... dammit!
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:22 pm

I've never really had too many bad things happen to me. I've done a good job avoiding damage throughout my life. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm just a puss.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm

Or luck, I got another story, only I wasn't the one who got hurt.
A couple years back I had a little 4weeler and me and 2 other friends wanted to pull each other in something. Just the day before my dad welded me up a old bike frame to a back axle w/ two random wheels, and a steel bar that ran the length and had a U shaped toung for a pin. I'm at 5 th gear ( maybe 25mph ) and the pin popped out, the U shaped pin hooked ground after about 3 ft. And POOOOM there goes my buddy. Grass over tea kettle, probably close to 8 ft. Strait up in the air, comes down on his back. I immediately turn around to see if he's ok, when I got to him, he had the wind knocked out of him. Luckily he had a helmet on. Once he got some air he flipped the mask open and goes " why am I always the test monkey " . Itl be one ill remember for a long time.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby rrkyle » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:36 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
Frylock wrote:Got separated from my buddies boat while freedive spearfishing several miles south of Block Island last summer. Coast Guard was called and a 300' NOAA research vessel was diverted to aid in the search.......let me tell you, being lost in six to eight foot seas forces you come to terms with the likely end of your life.

Absolutely horrifying. They'd have found a dead body because I would have killed myself.

When I was in high school I nearly drowned. Some friends decided to swim across this lake at the state park we were at, must have been a few hundred yards. It was really stupid of me and I totally overestimated my swimming ability and underestimated the distance. About halfway across one calf cramped, then the other. No one was watching or was aware I was out there. I was starting to go under, then I started thinking "you know, I'm only 17, that'd kinda suck if I died right now". Somehow despite having both legs cramped, I had enough determination to force them to work and had enough arm strength to make it.
Learned 2 things from that: Don't do anything that stupid again, and learn to swim better.

This has happened to a few kids swimming across the pool below the dam a ways at Garner State Park in TX. Wasn't where you were is it? I have swam across it and it was tough, same thing, I got about half way and realized it was way further than I thought, that was a tough swim back.
rrkyle
hunter

Postby micneador » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:48 pm

Mine has to be almost drowning in the arkansas river wade fishing.

I was fishing the low water dam in tulsa for striper with a friend from school. Keystone dam had ran water a few hours ago so we felt were were fine for at least 3 hours till it was time to go. (6-8 hours till the surge starts to show up at the low water) we were catching big stripes like crazy, a bunch of 10lb fish, a few 12-15lb, and broke off a 20lb+. I noticed the water was starting to get high, and said one more cast. (STUPIDEST QUOTE EVER) hooked wat I thought was a 25lb+ an knew I had my wall hanger. Ended up breaking him off a few feet from me. I didnt realize I had spent about 25 minutes playing him out. I looked up and it was nothing but water around me.

Now my comfortable flow is about 7000cfs in the summer, this was pushing 9000-10000cfs. My buddy was already on the bank as I had one more swift spot to cross. As I got about halfway across a damn spoonbill rolled right by me, scared me half to death. I spun quick and the water just knocked me off my feet. I could not swim across because of the swift water, nor get me footing. By the time I I hit a sand bar and got to the bank I was 50 yards from the I-44 bridge(about a mile from the parking lot at 31st street) I grabbed my phone from the waterproof case and called my buddy. (Who thankfully had a spare to my truck) he came and picked me up, said he was just about to call 911 for a water rescue.

2 weeks later three guys from tulsa welding school drowned on that same stretch of river, what momma doesn't know won't hurt her
Never hire a plumber to do a pipe layers job.
micneador
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:51 pm

rrkyle wrote:This has happened to a few kids swimming across the pool below the dam a ways at Garner State Park in TX. Wasn't where you were is it? I have swam across it and it was tough, same thing, I got about half way and realized it was way further than I thought, that was a tough swim back.

It was at Robber's Cave State Park in OK. I have had some close calls, but that was probably the closest I've ever come to dying so far.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:12 pm

A lot of you seem to have this knack for nearly drowning. I prefer to do safer things like riding bulls.(and with that crappy segway I'll tell you mine.)

Just over two years ago when I was still in college, I was on the rodeo team and rode a number of events. One of which was bulls. There was an event down in Ardmore that me and some friends decided to go to. I had invited my parents to come up and my girlfriend at the time to watch me ride.

The accident: honestly I don't remember a goshdarn thing that happened between breakfast that saturday and waking up in the hospital sunday afternoon. But supposedly I stayed on 7.4 seconds before he flipped me. My left foot got hung up in the flank rope by the rowel and I got pounded on square in the vest. Broke three ribs, hairlined two vertabrae, snapped my left ankle, dislocated my left hip, got a helluva concussion, and did some serious tendon damage to my right knee.

Since then, I can walk and run normally again, I've started weightlifting with a vengance, and I can't wait to get back at it. I love to ride. If that makes me stupid, so be it.

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby UofA_Hunter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm

Mine would have to be the time I flipped a Honda 400ex. We built a small track with a bobcat in an empty field. We had two decent sized jumps that we had pushed together. The first you had to hit in third gear to hit the landing. The second was real sketchy, if you hit it in low second you would case it, if you hit in high second you would overshoot it. Well after several hours of riding (with no helmet of course) we got pretty comfortable making the rounds. After hitting the first jump with no problem I rode around to the second, low and behold I hit it in low second. While I am in the air I can see I'm going to case it, next thing I know I am on my back and can see the quad heading right for me. Somehow I managed to kick most of it away, only my left hamstring took a blow. As soon as I shed it off I jumped up and took off running, before I knew it my cousin tackles me to the ground. It seems like my adrenaline kind of kicked it. We then walked to his house and I got an icepack and started icing. After sitting around for a little while I try to get up and realized I can barely walk, I took a look at my leg and my whole left quad is purple and blue. This was going to be a problem because I was playing college baseball at the time and I needed my leg. It took about two months before I could run normally again and somehow I managed to hide it from everybody. To this day only my cousin knows that I flipped that 4-wheeler onto myself. Looking back that was really dumb because it could've been something serious.
UofA_Hunter
hunter

Postby Minneguy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:06 pm

Triple lindeed a dirt bike across a county road. First time I ever wore a helmet riding , got lucky.

The first two jumps looked awesome, the third time, there was some sand that have way right on the edge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Minneguy
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole