i guess not all the ducks made it south

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

i guess not all the ducks made it south

Postby roscoesbuddy » Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:56 pm

I was a little puzzled today when I was coming back from class, which I attend at Duquesne University in downtown Pittsburgh, PA. I was driving across the bridge looked down on one of the three rivers right smack dab in the middle of the city I saw a HUGE raft of ducks. Which peeked my interest so I drove down and took a closer look. I saw at least 300 mallards, 200 geese, a some gadwall, black ducks, and a bunch of divers which were more in the middle of the river making it harder to ID them, I got within 25 yards of 2 sleeping canvasback though (first cans I’ve ever seen in person). The reason I’m telling this sorry is I’m curious if the weather has been mild enough to keep these amounts of birds north. Also is this true in other places or is this just one strange occasion. I’m starting to wonder why I drive home to hunt ducks in the country when I can sit right below the steel building in point state park looking a PNC park and Heinz Field and see that amount of ducks.
"a day can change in one wingbeat"
roscoesbuddy
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:12 am

I can promise you they all did not make it down here b/c we sure did not see them.
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gsphunter » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:01 am

I see ducks and geese all year round here in missouri. On my college campus they probably hold about 200 geese everyday! I also have a pond nearby that I see ducks at all year round. Just local birds that don't migrate.
Brian
"Because a duck is just a 3 pound critter"
Keith Allen
gsphunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:35 am

yeah probly alot of locals in there. hardly any migrators here this year.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole