Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...pics. added

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:45 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Why on earth did you go from Waco to Houston? Every direction from Houston would have taken you within 30-100 miles from Waco.

we did not actually go into waco. we passed close to it. not sure of the exact route we took as I was not the navigator-Indafire took control of that while I attempted to get some sleep for my shift driving....

Well if you were on 6 you were close, just curious why you went to/towards Houston. Need to have the navigator take a class on North, South, East, and West

dallas was iced. We were trying to get to I-10. Which direction do you suggest we go from ranger Texas? We took the route suggested by a seasoned professional trucker.

I re-read your post and realized you were coming from Lubbock and not to. Was so confused as to why you backtracked that way. Lots of different routes but all small roads through tiny towns.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 4:55 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Why on earth did you go from Waco to Houston? Every direction from Houston would have taken you within 30-100 miles from Waco.

we did not actually go into waco. we passed close to it. not sure of the exact route we took as I was not the navigator-Indafire took control of that while I attempted to get some sleep for my shift driving....

Well if you were on 6 you were close, just curious why you went to/towards Houston. Need to have the navigator take a class on North, South, East, and West

dallas was iced. We were trying to get to I-10. Which direction do you suggest we go from ranger Texas? We took the route suggested by a seasoned professional trucker.

I re-read your post and realized you were coming from Lubbock and not to. Was so confused as to why you backtracked that way. Lots of different routes but all small roads through tiny towns.

hwy 6 was not bad...not sure the exact route we took as I was not navigating... we took hwy 6 to 281, then hwy 84...I lost track after that and fell asleep.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...pics. added

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:24 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

hwy 6 was not bad...not sure the exact route we took as I was not navigating... we took hwy 6 to 281, then hwy 84...I lost track after that and fell asleep.

Quickest way south would have been to stay on 84 in Abilene instead of cutting East on 20. Could get further south, but would take a big detour. When WW and I came back from Lubbock we took 84 all the way down.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:25 pm

bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

Quickest way south would have been to stay on 84 in Abilene instead of cutting East on 20. Could get further south, but would take a big detour. When WW and I came back from Lubbock we took 84 all the way down.

I know....Both Indawoods and I wanted to go that route but were over ruled.
That is the way we will go next trip up. Is 84 as nice a road as other texas state hwys.?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:29 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:

That is the way we will go next trip up. Is 84 as nice a road as other texas state hwys.?

State highways will consistently be pretty good roads. FMs will be crapshoots. I forgot how nice our highways were until I drove to MO and back...

You could have gotten all the way to San Antonio and hit 10 by taking 84 to 87 through Brady, or stayed on 87 and visited scenic Victoria, TX.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:55 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Can't believe I only took one picture the whole trip. Indafire took a bunch though...I will have to get them from him.
this is the first morning. Geese started coming to the field about 745 and we were done about 8:30.

That's a lot of goose boob stew!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:59 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Can't believe I only took one picture the whole trip. Indafire took a bunch though...I will have to get them from him.
this is the first morning. Geese started coming to the field about 745 and we were done about 8:30.

we use the legs and thighs for that... makes awesome gumbo!
the breasts we will make some sausage with, use some for poppers. Might even make some Parmesan with some of them.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:19 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

we use the legs and thighs for that... makes awesome gumbo!
the breasts we will make some sausage with, use some for poppers. Might even make some Parmesan with some of them.

Then it's not boob stew, and like to say boob. :sad:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:22 pm

Good stuff, Swamp! Looks like a great trip! :thumbsup:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:25 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:Good stuff, Swamp! Looks like a great trip! :thumbsup:

the hunt was awesome...the traveling, well, that part really sucked! But we rose to the challenge and got out of a jam.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby whistlin_wings » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:31 pm

bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
bighop wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:[quote="whistlin_wings"]Why on earth did you go from Waco to Houston? Every direction from Houston would have taken you within 30-100 miles from Waco.

State highways will consistently be pretty good roads. FMs will be crapshoots. I forgot how nice our highways were until I drove to MO and back...

You could have gotten all the way to San Antonio and hit 10 by taking 84 to 87 through Brady, or stayed on 87 and visited scenic Victoria, TX.[/quote]
Or stopped by the dr pepper museum in dublin
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:33 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Or stopped by the dr pepper museum in dublin

...are they open at 2:30am? If not, we'll more than likely not stop.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 pm

found a pic. of I-20 just outside of Ft. Worth....4-6 inches of ice.

this is I-35 north out of Dallas...

I-20 at ranger looked just as bad.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Lubbock Goose hunt 2013-Icemageddon...pics. added

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:39 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Or stopped by the dr pepper museum in dublin

...are they open at 2:30am? If not, we'll more than likely not stop.

That all depends on how hard you push on the door...

But Dublin is on 6, not 84
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 pm

Ranger Hill is a notoriously steep grade with good crosswinds. No fun in the ice.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:45 pm

bighop wrote:Ranger Hill is a notoriously steep grade with good crosswinds. No fun in the ice.

I know this now... schit was ridiculous. Lots of idiots driving way too damn fast once they got on the service roads....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:40 pm

Finally have a chance to post a little about this trip. I can sum the entire thing up in one word…UNFORGETTABLE! The trip up was a roller coaster after having been told to turn around 4 hours in, then making the decision to grind on was a boost, then hitting ice on I-20 and not knowing if we would be able to get up 84…all the while watching the weather and traffic reports constantly. Finally ending on the ultimate high as we pulled into the Days Inn South Lubbock where we were able to relax and prepare for the Friday hunt. Friday was all about the Geese. The hunt was once in a lifetime kind of stuff. Swamp does not exaggerate one bit about the huge flight that descended on us which nearly allowed us to get half of a 35 man limit. Easily 200 birds in range and easily 1000 birds in the air over our spread. It was breathtaking!! The crane hunt was a bit of a miss, but I downed two of the prehistoric looking birds so I can say that I have taken a few cranes. Saturday, however was a day of one "Charlie Foxtrot" after another. The hunt wasn't what we thought it would be, we were in the field way later than we had planned and we didn't even leave Lubbock until after 3 when we originally planned to be on the road for around noon. Little did we know that the problems hadn't even begun to start.

What I must tell all you guys is that having to live through this event, I could not have chosen better company to be with. 20+ hours on the road with 4 guys (two whom are brothers who are normally volatile when discussing even the most mundane topics) and highly stressful conditions provided the perfect environment for frustration, fighting and yelling. Instead what we did was focus, stayed patient and determined and we persevered. The trip was one I would not wish on my worst enemy, and one I will never forget. That said, it will not deter me from returning to Lubbock and laying the smack down on Canadas. If any of you ever have an opportunity to go visit Brian and his outfit, TAKE ADVANTAGE! Blackfoot guide service knows how to do it!
I refuse to engage the unarmed in a battle of wits.
Indafire
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm

We. Need. Pics.

And we were told you're the man to post em.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:39 pm

Swamp Friday night with a mature Sandhill Crane.
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:42 pm

Our haul of cranes from Friday evening. You can shoot lead at these big boys…thank goodness. Don't send your dog after one either, one cripple damn near pecked Woods's eye out. We agreed after that to send someone taller after cripples.
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:43 pm

Literally the first thing Swamp did when we made it to the hotel in Lubbock.
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:53 pm

Our geese from Saturday. Lots of variables contributed to the lack of cooperation on the part of the geese. There was definitely no shortage, as we saw AT LEAST 10,000 birds. Charlie, one of the other hunter's retrievers, got a little mouthy with one goose. He did fantastic considering it was his first goose hunt, and he was competing with another dog owned by the guide. What isn't pictured is a MAN of a mallard drake killed by Woods. Charlie and his owner walked around 3/4 mile or so to find the beast where he finally went down after setting his wings and coasting. I know Woods is grateful.
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:57 pm

Our spread Saturday morning. I don't want to know how much money Blackfoot has tied up in decoys!
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:59 pm

Swamp with a smile. Probably happy to be up and moving around. Laying down for long periods in that kind of cold is a little rough.
Indafire
hunter

Postby Indafire » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm

The now infamous "overboots".
Indafire
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole