Gloves

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Gloves

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:34 pm

I've been looking for a wrist length glove that's water PROOF, that is, will keep my hands dry in a cold rain with good insulating properties. There are just too many choices, and I don't want to get something that doesn't work. Any suggestions?
Last edited by D Comeaux on Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
D Comeaux
hunter

Re: Gloves

Postby t_baker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:35 pm

D Comeaux wrote:I've been looking for a wrist length glove that's water PROOF, that is, will keep my hands dry in a cold rain with good insulating properties. There are too just many choices, and I don't want to get something that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

PM Titz. He had a nice looking pair the other day. Not sure what they were but I remember him saying they were waterproof.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:38 pm

I wear rubber gloves out in the shop. Easier to pull them off and have clean hands to answer my phone, shake hands, ect. I buy the nice ones off the Snap-On truck and have always thought about pulling a pair over some wool military surplus gloves. Dont have a clue how well it would work but I have considered it.
t_baker
hunter

Postby T Man » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:47 pm

I have some bass pro decoy gloves that are awesome. They are goretex, not neoprene and proper winter gloves

Wait, that wasn't racist was it?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:50 pm

I think someone around here had a recipe that involved one or two pairs of the cheap knit gloves with a cheap gauntlet rubber glove over top and touted their warmth.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:51 pm

bighop wrote:I think someone around here had a recipe that involved one or two pairs of the cheap knit gloves with a cheap gauntlet rubber glove over top and touted their warmth.

Mr. Hall
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:52 pm

bighop wrote:I think someone around here had a recipe that involved one or two pairs of the cheap knit gloves with a cheap gauntlet rubber glove over top and touted their warmth.

Rick Hall.

I have some similar. Harbor Freight. Work great for picking up decoys, cant do much more though.

http://www.harborfreight.com/industrial ... 40533.html
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-pairs-kn ... 46992.html
t_baker
hunter

Postby bighop » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:05 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:

Mr. Hall

I thought so, but last time I thought that, I was wrong. I just attribute all the good ideas to him by default.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby Bill Herian » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:11 pm

Just move south and you won't need gloves.

Oh. Wait.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:18 pm

t_baker wrote:
D Comeaux wrote:I've been looking for a wrist length glove that's water PROOF, that is, will keep my hands dry in a cold rain with good insulating properties. There are too just many choices, and I don't want to get something that doesn't work. Any suggestions?

PM Titz. He had a nice looking pair the other day. Not sure what they were but I remember him saying they were waterproof.

Sealskinz.

Awesome gloves in that they are a knit glove that is totally waterproof. The ones I have are not insulated but it looks like that is an option on some of their other models.

http://www.sealskinz.com/US/gloves
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby beretta24 » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:19 pm

Bill Herian wrote:Just move south and you won't need gloves.

Oh. Wait.

There's always the Caribbean
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby D Comeaux » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:31 pm

Oh. Wait.

:lol3: :lol3: My hands just don't hold up like they used to. Especially when wet.

Sealskinz.

Awesome gloves in that they are a knit glove that is totally waterproof. The ones I have are not insulated but it looks like that is an option on some of their other models.

That's what I'm looking for. Ididn't see a camo pair, though? Not that It really matters.

I was looking at stuff like this. Pricing is the same. Just don't know of anyone that has tried a pair.

UND1239103%20L%20APX[1].jpg

Under Armour Primer Camo Gloves
This UA hunting glove is one of the best hunting gloves you will ever wear! Even feel the trigger with this Primer glove on. This Under Armour mechanic type glove offers ArmourStorm fabrication for waterproofing and wind resistance. Insulation with 6 Ounce PrimaLoft is enough to keep your hands warm through the harshest weather. The Under Armour mission is to provide you with technically advanced products, such as fishing and hunting clothes engineered with UA's superior fabric construction, exclusive moisture management and proven innovation. This camo hunting glove provides all this and more!
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:27 am

Dave. the only Seal Skinz I owned leaked, but that was maybe eight years ago.

As noted by others, I keep pairs of these:

and pairs of surplus wool liners that are remarkably warm even when wet handy all season and use them together or separately. Haven't had a cracked hand since I started the practice. And when I picked up three new pairs of those shown the other day, they were still under $3 a pair.

Biggest problem, other than seeping through, I've had with insulated gloves like you're looking at is getting them on when my hands are already cold and/or wet. Such a pain that I wouldn't use them for quick wet work like taking ducks from the dog, which left me with even colder and wetter hands to try to jam in them at hunt's end.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:57 am

These might be too warm for LA. 100% waterproof and warm. And yes you can put your hand underwater with these.
http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-G ... lt,pd.html
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:16 am

Ugg, regular gortex gloves, when they get wet, take as month to dry.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:25 am

Have used these for many years to pick up decoys and run boat. Very pleased.

Back Cabela's GORE-TEX[REGISTERED SIGN] Thinsulate[TRADE MARK SIGN] Deluxe II Shooting Gloves
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:43 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Ugg, regular gortex gloves, when they get wet, take as month to dry.

Jay these are not gortex it's outdry membrane.
http://www.columbia.com/Men%E2%80%99s-G ... lt,pd.html
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:55 am

Botiz630 wrote:
t_baker wrote:

Sealskinz.

I have the insulated pair, and they are fantastic!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:57 am

I have a thin pair of under armour gloves that are easy to shoot with and semi warm. When its cold ride with a pair of work gloves from True Value, they're lined with wool. They are super toasty. For waterproof... I go with the cheapos from harbor freight.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:30 am

I use six pairs of gloves. When I'm down to one dry pair...it's time to go back to camp.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:15 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Biggest problem, other than seeping through, I've had with insulated gloves like you're looking at is getting them on when my hands are already cold and/or wet. Such a pain that I wouldn't use them for quick wet work like taking ducks from the dog, which left me with even colder and wetter hands to try to jam in them at hunt's end.

That is it in a nut shell!!!, along with the glove soaking up every bit of moisture it comes in contact with.!!! I may just put on surgical gloves under my regular gloves, as I've done in the past, and continue using my crotch area as a hand warmer. :biggrin: This always sends the boys into hiding :lol3:
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby deliriousII » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:30 am

D comeaux, a guy at my camp has those UA primer gloves and really likes them....I would have them already but I'm waiting for my b-day gift cards to academy to arrive and then heading to get them
quack addict
deliriousII
hunter

Postby D Comeaux » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:35 am

deliriousII wrote:D comeaux, a guy at my camp has those UA primer gloves and really likes them....I would have them already but I'm waiting for my b-day gift cards to academy to arrive and then heading to get them

Thanks! I'm looking hard at those. I just don't want to spend the money and have another pair of gloves for the shelf.
D Comeaux
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:42 am

D Comeaux wrote:
Rick Hall wrote:

That is it in a nut shell!!!, along with the glove soaking up every bit of moisture it comes in contact with.!!! I may just put on surgical gloves under my regular gloves, as I've done in the past, and continue using my crotch area as a hand warmer. :biggrin: This always sends the boys into hiding :lol3:

Get thee a couple of Zippo hand warmers. You and the boys will both be happier.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby ryanoutloud » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:28 am

D Comeaux wrote:

Oh. Wait.

:lol3: :lol3: My hands just don't hold up like they used to. Especially when wet.

Sealskinz.

That's what I'm looking for. Ididn't see a camo pair, though? Not that It really matters.

I was looking at stuff like this. Pricing is the same. Just don't know of anyone that has tried a pair.

UND1239103%20L%20APX[1].jpg

Under Armour Primer Camo Gloves

D, I bought these gloves before this season and have been very happy with them. I had never tried on a pair of gloves and thought " I gotta have those" until I tried these on. Like other UA gear, and Sitka Gear, they have a great fit without the bulk. I've had to dip my hand in the water when it was 30, and used them to build a snowman for the kiddos. The snow was dry so I had to mix in some water and on both the hunt and the snowman building I've stayed dry and warm. The question now is, how long will they hold up? I'll find out.
ryanoutloud
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole