Diet/workout advice

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Diet/workout advice

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:05 am

I've gained around 30 pounds since my diverticulitis flair up this past summer. When I finally recovered from that and started trying to walk again every night, I tore the plantaris muscle in my calf the night after Halloween. I've finally got to the point that I'm ready to start exercising again, but I have no energy since I put on this much weight that quick. Does anyone have any diet tips or exercise programs they'd recommend? I have access to a top notch gym at the Sheriffs department, but I always end up reverting back to my old powerlifting routine when I hit the gym and gain weight instead of losing. I know it's muscle weight that I'm gaining, but I need to be able to drop pounds pretty quick before I have to upgrade my clothes. As cold and wet as it's been, it doesn't look like I'll be able to restart my nightly walks anytime soon either.

By the way, I rarely drink any carbonated drinks (1 every couple of months), so I can't really cut back there. I know some may think I'm a drunk, but I only have a glass or two of whiskey about once a week, if not longer. Also, I've cut out my occasional beer with supper and strictly drink water. I may have a cup or two of straight black coffee when I get to the office, but there's times that I'll go weeks without that. My biggest problem is that my wife is a damned good cook and she likes to keep sweets around the house. I can pass the sweets up during the day, but I'll wake up in the middle of the night standing in the kitchen eating whatever sweets I can find.

Any suggestions?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Re: Diet/workout advice

Postby TexasPuddleJumper » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:17 am

For one, kill the sweets. Secondly, I have a decent routine that does incorperate a lot of cardio and core work that I use for cutting cycles. I'll post it up come morning.

Sent via smoke signal
I'm not saying that it shouldn't be done, I'm just saying it is ill advised...
TexasPuddleJumper
hunter

Postby Boatman » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:11 am

but I'll wake up in the middle of the night standing in the kitchen eating whatever sweets I can find

Yea stop sleeping in the kitchen!
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 am

LA, you need to swim and swim hard a couple hours every day. Swim til it feels like your heart is going to burst, then stop and recover. Chart your progress and you'll see your stamina increase daily. You'll lose weight too. Less risk of injury. Its the answer for you until you lose some weight and can do other exercise without injuring yourself.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:19 am

Replace either lunch or dinner with a protein shake.
This will help you loose weight without sacrificing energy.
Try to drink it right after working out, this is when your body is most receptive to digesting protein.

Eat fruit as healthy replacement for your sweet midnight treats.

Try to balance your meals out to be 40% protein, 35% carbs, 25% fat.
Most importantly you will have to eat fewer calories than you burn.

Before duck season I was doing P90X 3-4 days a week and my own weight lifting routine 2 days a week (chest/shoulders and arms/abs). If you are low on energy this may not be possible.

doing this last year helped me lose 35lb in 6 months.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:30 am

La. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% your workout routine. Try this to start, cut out the sweets (especially at night), then cut your processed carb intake in 1/2 less bread, rice, pasta, chips ect, and replace those lost calories with leafy green vegetables and lean protein. Last, make an attempt to drink 32 oz of water before each meal, and you will be surprised how full you will feel and remain.
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:31 am

I lost 28 lbs in 11 weeks last winter. I still drank about as much you describe and only worked out 3 times a week for about 30 min but I was STRICT about my diet. When I grocery shopped I forced myself to stay out of the aisles and work the outside of the store. Fresh produce, fresh meats, nothing preserved or boxed. I didn't cut carbs out completely but I did read the labels and any bread or pasta that contained ENRICHED flour was out, whole non-enriched flour only. I'm sure someone here knows the actual science behind the flour thing, I was just told by a trainer friend that your body doesn't burn enriched flour as quickly. The other thing I did with my diet was instead of a cheat day, I'd allow myself 2-3 cheat meals a week. I figured its the same net result but that way I didn't have cravings all week and then go ape on Sunday. For the workout I used an apartment gym that I could basically get to myself in the afternoon, did a 10 min cardio warmup and I had a weight circuit using 6 machines/benches that would take me about 20 min to complete with very short break between sets. I used a modified push/pull workout and would do both upper and lower body the same day on M-W-F
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:42 am

Try salad once everyday, core work and cardio. Drop the weights if you would like. Pushups, lunges, weightless squats(lots of them), pullups, flutter kicks and situps got my 30 pounds from football of me. Good luck and stick to it. :thumbsup:
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:45 am

LA forget all this science fiction advice. Weight loss is no more complicated than burning more energy than you take in. Just pay my fuel and expenses and I'll follow you around slapping fat boy food out of your hand before you can eat it.

Easy peasy, you'll be in bikini shape in no time, and I'll enjoy it too. Win-win.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Underradar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:29 am

Skinny people die hungry. Enjoy life. Buy bigger pants.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:33 am

I lost 15 pounds between November 19 and December 1.
I call it the "camping at Rainey Brake" diet and exercise plan.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:20 am

aunt betty wrote:LA, you need to swim and swim hard a couple hours every day. Swim til it feels like your heart is going to burst, then stop and recover. Chart your progress and you'll see your stamina increase daily. You'll lose weight too. Less risk of injury. Its the answer for you until you lose some weight and can do other exercise without injuring yourself.

Betty is the winner.

If you approaching or over 40, swimming is your best bet. If you swim 1000 yards (that's down and back 20 times), which isn't that hard (this fat boy can do it), 4 times a week, you can eat whatever and whenever you want. Zero wear on the joints, and its very easy to see yourself progress.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:23 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:La. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% your workout routine. Try this to start, cut out the sweets (especially at night), then cut your processed carb intake in 1/2 less bread, rice, pasta, chips ect, and replace those lost calories with leafy green vegetables and lean protein. Last, make an attempt to drink 32 oz of water before each meal, and you will be surprised how full you will feel and remain.

Weight loss can be 90% workout if you want. Not saying that's best, but your claim is short sighted. You can workout and lose weight without changing your diet, and you will burn through fat faster with added muscle. The rest of what you said is fine, but I think working out just as important to staying healthy as you try to lose weight.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:29 am

Botiz630 wrote:LA forget all this science fiction advice. Weight loss is no more complicated than burning more energy than you take in. Just pay my fuel and expenses and I'll follow you around slapping fat boy food out of your hand before you can eat it.

Easy peasy, you'll be in bikini shape in no time, and I'll enjoy it too. Win-win.

Count calories for a week.

There are plenty of body weight calculators out there that will let you know about what you need to eat a day to maintain your weight. Add 500 cal's to gain weight, subtract 500 to lose. Fine tune from there.

Most of the time, not being able to lose weight is attributed to lack of self control. To combat this, premake meals that are measured. Put them in tubberware. Eat them at prescribed times (smaller, more frequent meals are better, but not possible for everyone - optimum are 5 or 6 small meals a day). You will lose weight and it's easy peasy. Excercise is a nice plus, but not needed to lose weight.
quacknstack6 wrote:
I'm as good once as I ever was isn't your theme song OG. I hate to burst your bubble.
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:34 am

Like Betty said, swimming is a great calorie burner, one of the best. To top it off, sweat it out in a sauna or hottub and drink plenty of water or poweraid after. The other best excercise can be down with your spouse. If I remember correctly, a session with the spouse is the equivalent of running a 2 miler. That's probably the best cardio you will get in, with your current leg situation. Start cooking skinless chicken on the broiler and eating spinach with vinegarette or olive oil based dressing. Limit the red meat to a once a week thing right now. Drink lots of water and whole juices that aren't made from concentrate and artificial sweetners. If your gonna drink, 24 oz'r will do it. Light beer hops promote fat burning but only in moderate doses. Good luck keep us posted on your progress!
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:59 am

Boatman wrote:but I'll wake up in the middle of the night standing in the kitchen eating whatever sweets I can find

I will literally wake up eating candy, peanut butter, cakes, pies, etc. There have been times that I didn't wake up, but knew I had been in the kitchen that night because I would still taste the peanut butter when I woke up or my wife would find the dishes that I used in the sink. Apparently last night was a chocolate night because the bag of chocolate covered pomegranate was about gone this morning. I've asked her to quit bringing that kind of food into the house or at least hide it, but apparently I know all the hiding spots in my sleep.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby wanapasaki » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:23 am

La. Hunter wrote:
Boatman wrote:but I'll wake up in the middle of the night standing in the kitchen eating whatever sweets I can find

I will literally wake up eating candy, peanut butter, cakes, pies, etc. There have been times that I didn't wake up, but knew I had been in the kitchen that night because I would still taste the peanut butter when I woke up or my wife would find the dishes that I used in the sink. Apparently last night was a chocolate night because the bag of chocolate covered pomegranate was about gone this morning. I've asked her to quit bringing that kind of food into the house or at least hide it, but apparently I know all the hiding spots in my sleep.

LOL maybe you need a sweets lock box?
Give a man a duck... Feed him for a day... Teach him to fowl hunt... Feed him for a lifetime...Teach him in your spot... Learn to hunt a different spot....
wanapasaki
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:41 am

Botiz630 wrote:LA forget all this science fiction advice. Weight loss is no more complicated than burning more energy than you take in. Just pay my fuel and expenses and I'll follow you around slapping fat boy food out of your hand before you can eat it.

Do what titz says.....
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby beretta24 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:45 am

La. Hunter wrote:

Those pomegranate things are the devil. So good, and I will eat a bag in a sitting. My wife knows not to buy that stuff.

Sent from my ADR6410LVW using Tapatalk 2
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby sharris » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:10 am

Buy some Jillian Michaels DVD's, put on the spandex, and rock out in your basement. Post up videos -- I swear I won't laugh. :lol:

Really, the best thing to do is convince your wife to diet/exercise with you. It's nearly impossible for one person to stick to a diet/exercise routine in a household if the other is sabotaging them. When you plan your diet eat lots of vegetables and lean meats, but use a measuring cup/kitchen scale to keep track of your calories (estimating is almost always wrong and leads to overeating). My wife uses "myfitnesspal" and she has founds some pretty good low calorie recipes.
Last edited by sharris on Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sharris
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:11 am

Blackcloud870 wrote:La. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% your workout routine.

Absolutely true!
"Train like an olympian and eat like a regular guy = regular guy results"
"Eat like an olympian and train like a regular guy = olympian results"

LA- I know this will sound contrary to what you might think regarding weight loss, but you need to eat more often than what you're probably used to. Not more calories, but more often. Instead of eating 3 large meals per day, start doing 5-6 small meals instead. Eat something every 2-3 hours. This approach combined with the right types of foods and a consistent exercise routine will get you results. If you want, you can instant message me and I can help you develop a nutrition plan and exercise routine to fit your needs.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Underradar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:44 am

Statistically, fat people die 90 days sooner than skinny people. You have to ask yourself, "Is it worth it? Is it worth it, punk?"
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby huck18 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:33 pm

Start doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. It will take off the pounds in no time, you will also learn valuable skills while getting in shape.
huck18
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:33 pm

huck18 wrote:Start doing Brazillian Jiu Jitsu. It will take off the pounds in no time, you will also learn valuable skills while getting in shape.

I agree. Jiu-jitsu is the best thing ever.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 4:37 pm

Crossfit and Paleo diet...

I lost 40lbs over a year. It was the best thing I ever did for myself. I broke my leg at work and weighed 225lbs. I promised myself after surgery to lose weight. I dropped down to 185lbs. I had to stop Crossfit due to a new addition to the family, but plan on starting back soon.
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole