Diet/workout advice

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Diet/workout advice

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:52 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Blackcloud870 wrote:La. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% your workout routine.

Absolutely true!
"Train like an olympian and eat like a regular guy = regular guy results"
"Eat like an olympian and train like a regular guy = olympian results"

LA- I know this will sound contrary to what you might think regarding weight loss, but you need to eat more often than what you're probably used to. Not more calories, but more often. Instead of eating 3 large meals per day, start doing 5-6 small meals instead. Eat something every 2-3 hours. This approach combined with the right types of foods and a consistent exercise routine will get you results. If you want, you can instant message me and I can help you develop a nutrition plan and exercise routine to fit your needs.

That has been a big part of my problem. I'm not a morning person and never eat breakfast. Occasionally I'll eat lunch, but most of the time I only eat supper and then whatever I eat while I'm asleep. Of course I eat more than I should when I only eat once a day and I realize that's the worst meal to eat like that. It was all fine though when I was able to get out and walk every night, but since I was laid up for a while the weight packed on. I just wish I could have gained this much weight this quick when I was trying to gain weight while powerlifting in my younger days. Back then I was drinking 3 2000 calorie shakes a day and eating a large lunch and supper and couldn't gain weight. I guess the old metabolism isn't what it used to be.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Re: Diet/workout advice

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:09 pm

I did not know that sleep eating was a real thing. That's wild.
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:41 pm

Botiz630 wrote:I did not know that sleep eating was a real thing. That's wild.

It is very real, at least for me. I've only done it for the last several years though, that I know of. Food (mainly cakes and other sweets) was constantly coming up missing and no one would admit to eating it. We just figured it was one of the kids and they wouldn't own up to it. Peanut butter was only lasting 3 or 4 days around here. That should have been a clue because that's always been a weakness for me. I don't know what changed, but one night I woke up and I was standing at the kitchen counter eating a big bowl of straight peanut butter. I was very confused about how I got there because I didn't remember a thing up to that point. The same thing happened several other times with different foods and it dawned on me that I was the one eating everything we were blaming the kids on. I've actually thought about setting a camera up in the kitchen at night to see what all I'm eating that I don't know about. Perhaps I should set up a trip wire alarm instead.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby beretta24 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 6:48 pm

Your lady should buy you a collar and invisible kitchen fence for Xmas.
beretta24
State Moderator

Postby Blackcloud870 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:04 pm

La. Hunter wrote:I've actually thought about setting a camera up in the kitchen at night to see what all I'm eating that I don't know about. Perhaps I should set up a trip wire alarm instead.

^^^This^^^
Does this mean you are packing a trail cam to record the "action" while on the DHC hunt?? :sarcmark: :hi: :sarcmark:
threedogs wrote: wrote:One word, Inflatable decoys......

DanJeffandJack wrote:I just drink beer and crush box.

That's how I remain the physical specimen that I am.
Blackcloud870
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:39 pm

Says the guy who will start and carry on a conversation in his sleep... Hell you might have been asleep when you wrote that.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

Says the guy who will start and carry on a conversation in his sleep... Hell you might have been asleep when you wrote that.

"WE GOTTA GET THE HORSES!"
B Squad Captain
If do right, no can defense
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:53 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:

"WE GOTTA GET THE HORSES!"

:lol3: :lol3:
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:16 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Blackcloud870 wrote:La. Weight loss is 90% diet and 10% your workout routine.

Absolutely true!
"Train like an olympian and eat like a regular guy = regular guy results"
"Eat like an olympian and train like a regular guy = olympian results"

"Train like an olympian, eat like a 300lb offensive lineman and still have a 6 pack" is the formula for this guy. :yes:
However I barely eat any junk food and do plenty of manual labor. The midsection did change for the better even more when I started having sandwiches on whole wheat bread for lunch instead of fried food.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:32 pm

Put ghost peppers in the peanut butter.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby MossRem » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:59 pm

I second Aunt Betty. Swimming is a great no impact, calorie burning exercise. It helped me drop 20 pounds. Also, eat lots of fiber. You'll be amazed at how much you lose that was packed in your colon..........
MossRem
hunter

Postby Kidney » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 pm

MOSSBERG935 wrote:Crossfit and Paleo diet...

I dunno about the Crossfit, but Paleo is a great way to eat and pretty easy to stick to.

Actually I'd try the Paleo first and while you're eating look up pictures of women doing Crossfit.
Kidney
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:55 pm

MOSSBERG935 wrote:Crossfit and Paleo diet

Shutup
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:42 pm

Kidney wrote:
MOSSBERG935 wrote:Crossfit and Paleo diet...

I dunno about the Crossfit, but Paleo is a great way to eat and pretty easy to stick to.

Actually I'd try the Paleo first and while you're eating look up pictures of women doing Crossfit.

I have done crossfit 2 seperate times. The first time I had been lifting pretty hard for 3 months and had pretty good strength. I saw great results from crossfit and the fat melted off of me. The second time I did crossfit I had not done anything in about 2 months and the results I saw were no where near the first time. In my opinion crossfit is great if you are going in decently strong and fit but itsn't worth it if starting from scratch. Whoever said diet is key and to spread meals out during the day (about 6 meals) was dead on. Add that with the swimming advice for the reduced stress on joints and you will meet your goals. The key to swimming is doing it with as much continuation as possible. You might get one of the small flotation devices you hold against your chest that way you can build your stamina by doing laps continuously.

Another thing on diet, someone mentioned the grocery shopping on the outside isles. That is great advice as well.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:34 pm

Crossfit is good for fat loss and getting moderately strong. But from what I've seen/heard, they go a little too rapidly on some of the heavier lifts, form is neglected which can result in injury. I think some of the lifts are dumb too, you should be in control of the weight through the entire process instead of slinging it around and dropping it.
Like Liquid said it's best for people that have experience lifting.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:46 pm

Cut the saturated fats, sweets and carbs. Then either swim or power walk.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby ChasinTail » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:51 am

It's all about Calories In vs Calories Out, if you burn more calories than you take in you'll lose weight.

You burn just as many calories lifting weights as you do doing cardio. And there's no better workouts for that than straight Compound lifts like that of a powerlifting routine. No point in spending a lot of time on isolation lifts. Sit ups won't get you "abs", you already have those, there's just fat on them lol. Burn calories and that fat will come off them. The only way you'll gain weight from lifting is if you're eating more calories than you're burning.

Get your diet in check and you'll lose weight. Cut out the sweets and limit yourself to how much you eat. Since your wife is such a good cook I'm sure she wouldn't have a problem making healthier meals that still taste good. And hit the gym HARD. 5 nights a week if you can and hit a different muscle group every night and then throw in a little high intensity cardio. You will lose weight. I could write you up a workout routine if you want me to. I've been lifting and studying it for years.
ChasinTail
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole