L.E.D.Light bar set up

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

L.E.D.Light bar set up

Postby Austinm77 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:36 pm

I am looking to put a led light bar on my duck boat. The only problem is I don't want to go drilling holes to mount it in my new boat. Any ideas so I have a solid mount but don't put any holes in the boat? Appreciate all advice
Austinm77
Newb

Re: L.E.D.Light bar set up

Postby t_baker » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:43 pm

Its just a boat. Drill the holes.
t_baker
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:46 pm

t_baker wrote:Its just a boat. Drill the holes.

Listen to baker.

Are they panty dropper lights?
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby steve-o » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:05 pm

super glue.
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Professor_Leakey » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:25 pm

when i first read your post i thought your name was Autism...maybe because i am neck deep in M.Ed work at the moment. I agree with steve-o, super glue it. either that or duct tape it. either that or listen to baker.
DuckPharm wrote:I'm talking about the pie billed goldeneye.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby TrapperRob » Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:31 pm

Professor_Leakey wrote:when i first read your post i thought your name was Autism...maybe because i am neck deep in M.Ed work at the moment. I agree with steve-o, super glue it. either that or duct tape it. either that or listen to baker.

It's not just you, I thought his name was autism at first, as well.
I went into the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived.
-Henry David Thoreau
TrapperRob
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:04 pm

Austinm77 wrote:I am looking to put a led light bar on my duck boat. The only problem is I don't want to go drilling holes to mount it in my new boat. Any ideas so I have a solid mount but don't put any holes in the boat? Appreciate all advice

My 24" light bar just came in today, bought the mounting materials today also. I'm using 1 1/2" wide angle aluminum for the base, drilling 5 holes in the boat on the high deck for that piece. 2 aluminum triangular shaped shelf brackets will be screwed to the vertical part of the angle aluminum base, so that everything can be removed except for the angle aluminum base. Technically that could be removed too though. The light bar hinges/bases are 24.5" apart which fits the shelf frames perfectly. Also adding another piece of angle aluminum towards the top for added bracing.
Everything I just said probably doesn't make any sense, but I will try to get a picture tomorrow or Thursday when it's finished.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:12 am

Velcro
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much

Annoy a Liberal,work hard and be happy
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:16 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:when i first read your post i thought your name was Autism...maybe because i am neck deep in M.Ed work at the moment. I agree with steve-o, super glue it. either that or duct tape it. either that or listen to baker.

X3 my wife is a social worker and she works with this a lot, I read it 3 times quick then read your comment and was ohh that wasn't what it said... LOL

Lets call him Timmy!
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:17 am

Timmy, as baker said its a Boat drill those holes, as long as they are above the water line, measure once drill 4 times...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:19 am

TIMMMMYYYYYYYY.

Baker is a grade A certified perfectionist drill the damn holes and use lots of silicone

better
Last edited by OHIODUCKA5 on Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:25 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:TIMMMMYYYYYYYY.

Baker is a grade A certified redneck drill the damn holes and use lots of silicone

Rednecks cobble. I dont. I strive for perfection.
t_baker
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:49 am

Made the cuts a little while ago, frame is warming up in the house so I can do the painting. Then all that's left is drilling a few holes in the boat and screwing the thing together.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:55 am

I mounted mine on a Scotty mount and put a Scotty base on the front of the boat. It removable, adjustable, and I can put a rod holder up there in the summer.
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:06 pm

Very satisfied with how it turned out, solid as a rock. Ended up having to add 2 conduit supports since it's so top heavy, but it ain't going anywhere now.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby go get the bird » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:03 am

TrapperRob wrote:

It's not just you, I thought his name was autism at first, as well.

Me too. I hear big league chew holds lights on pretty well.
MackieKnife wrote:The moral of the story is...I'm retarded.
go get the bird
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:10 pm

Timmy I would do what Shoveler did. I would trust the workmanship of anyone that builds his own squat rack
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:32 pm

bighop wrote:I mounted mine on a Scotty mount and put a Scotty base on the front of the boat. It removable, adjustable, and I can put a rod holder up there in the summer.

BRILLIANT!

I was going to say make a single post with a swivel bracket at the top to mount LED fixture and at the bottom, mount it using a flat bracket under the trolling motor using the same holes.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

lbhansford wrote:
bighop wrote:I mounted mine on a Scotty mount and put a Scotty base on the front of the boat. It removable, adjustable, and I can put a rod holder up there in the summer.

BRILLIANT!

I was going to say make a single post with a swivel bracket at the top to mount LED fixture and at the bottom, mount it using a flat bracket under the trolling motor using the same holes.

I would have to question the stability of that, especially if a 24" light bar such as mine is being mounted. If you're driving over any kind of wave action in the dark, you don't want the light wobbling/moving around. Not saying it wouldn't work but the one I have is pretty damn heavy which is why I ended up making a mount like that.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:30 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:
lbhansford wrote:

BRILLIANT!

I would have to question the stability of that, especially if a 24" light bar such as mine is being mounted. If you're driving over any kind of wave action in the dark, you don't want the light wobbling/moving around. Not saying it wouldn't work but the one I have is pretty damn heavy which is why I ended up making a mount like that.

I get where you are coming from. what about welding a 2x2 angle on the bow and mounting them on there? add an additional power plug and make them removable ? no way they would go anywhere? this is the baracket i added to the from of mine, cost like 4 bucks. This one was added for my trolling motor but same deal.
Attachments
trollingbracketparts.jpg
trollingassembled.jpg
lbhansford
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:49 am

That would be solid...but it's facing 45 degrees out? Or did you just set it there to take a pic?
I was wanting to do something different but wanted to leave the trolling motor on.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:52 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:That would be solid...but it's facing 45 degrees out? Or did you just set it there to take a pic?
I was wanting to do something different but wanted to leave the trolling motor on.

ideally id like to move the front anchor cleat and center it. you know duck boats , never happy and always changing something. that one is actually on the other side in the same location for my hand tiller trolling motor for flats fishing in the summer.
lbhansford
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole