Need Advice. Legal advice of sorts!

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Need Advice. Legal advice of sorts!

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:08 am

Got a letter for jury duty in the mail Tuesday to show up Friday... 3 days notice? Ok here is my dilemma we had a small out of town trip planned, my wife is receiving a state achievement award from work and we have Christmas sat. . Its 4 hours away so we were staying up there Now what?

I have got to call when the courthouse opens. Im pissed they give me 3 days actually 2 days notice but we leave tomorrow? will they except the excuse or am I going to have a warrant issued? lol

what would u do, serious replies please I don't want to drive back up sat for family Christmas after being there Thursday into the night....

Paging lawyers.....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Re: Need Advice. Legal advice of sorts!

Postby charlie beard » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:42 am

It's up to the judge.
Been in your shoes'
Most will excuse you only for medical reasons then you have to have a slip from the doctor.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:21 am

You're screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby jaysweet3 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:46 am

They can really do that? Two days notice, you must report?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 am

Commit a crime real quick today. I promise you you won't have to report to jury duty.
A year from now, you'll wish you had started today.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:23 am

jaysweet3 wrote:They can really do that? Two days notice, you must report?

I have to call to find out I guess, its BS if they would have notified me last week we could have changed plans. but 2 days before I have to show is crap...
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:07 am

I would be pissed!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby LadyK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:14 am

Google is your buddy

RULE 4. NOTICE OF SELECTION FOR JURY POOL AND SUMMONS FOR JURY SERVICE

Not later than seven (7) days after the date of the drawing of names from the jury pool, the jury administrator shall mail to each person whose name is drawn a juror qualification form, and notice of the period during which any service may be performed. The judges of the courts of record in the county shall select, by local rule, one of the following procedures for summoning jurors:

(a)   Single tier notice and summons. The jury administrator may send a summons at the same time the jury qualification form and notice is mailed. If so, the jury administrator shall send the jury qualification form and summons to prospective jurors at least six (6) weeks before jury service.

(b)   Two tier notice and summons. The jury administrator may send summons at a later time. If the jury administrator sends the jury qualification form and notice first, the jury administrator shall summon prospective jurors at least one (1) week before service.
.....A judge may order prospective jurors to appear upon less notice when, in the course of jury selection, it becomes apparent that additional prospective jurors are required in order to complete jury selection.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/rules/jury/#_Toc243295734
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:24 am

LadyK wrote:Google is your buddy

RULE 4. NOTICE OF SELECTION FOR JURY POOL AND SUMMONS FOR JURY SERVICE

Not later than seven (7) days after the date of the drawing of names from the jury pool, the jury administrator shall mail to each person whose name is drawn a juror qualification form, and notice of the period during which any service may be performed. The judges of the courts of record in the county shall select, by local rule, one of the following procedures for summoning jurors:

(a)   Single tier notice and summons. The jury administrator may send a summons at the same time the jury qualification form and notice is mailed. If so, the jury administrator shall send the jury qualification form and summons to prospective jurors at least six (6) weeks before jury service.

(b)   Two tier notice and summons. The jury administrator may send summons at a later time. If the jury administrator sends the jury qualification form and notice first, the jury administrator shall summon prospective jurors at least one (1) week before service.
.....A judge may order prospective jurors to appear upon less notice when, in the course of jury selection, it becomes apparent that additional prospective jurors are required in order to complete jury selection.

http://www.in.gov/judiciary/rules/jury/#_Toc243295734

Ok that confused me a bit it says "shall" send 6 weeks prior not they are "required" to send 6 weeks prior? ... I noticed the post mark date is Nov 26th on envelope. But received on Dec. 10th..... I believe I may fall in the B category they notified me I was on a 3 year list a few years back I think? So a week before?

Talked to judge he threw it out so im FREEEEEE!
18javelin
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 am

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I would be pissed!

Actually I was so happy I was pissing rainbows and crapping lolypops.... Thankfully the judge exempted me for Friday... Now I am good thanks yall...
18javelin
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:26 am

Wow good for you Jav. I figured this was the albino curse coming back to bite you
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:32 am

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Wow good for you Jav. I figured this was the albino curse coming back to bite you

It is the curse ! Its gonna start out slow like this with Stress
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:38 am

OGblackcloud wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Wow good for you Jav. I figured this was the albino curse coming back to bite you

It is the curse ! Its gonna start out slow like this with Stress

I think you're right OG. Poor jav. :violin:
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:55 am

You need to lose the letter quick. They can only prove that you know about it if you sign for it through certified mail. Take your trip and when you get back you will have a certified letter of jury duty waiting for you at the post office. Then you can reschedule.

They never piss away money by issuing warrants for people not showing up for jury duty either. That is just an idle threat. Worst they do is fine you.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:13 am

BurnettGunner wrote:You need to lose the letter quick. They can only prove that you know about it if you sign for it through certified mail. Take your trip and when you get back you will have a certified letter of jury duty waiting for you at the post office. Then you can reschedule.

They never piss away money by issuing warrants for people not showing up for jury duty either. That is just an idle threat. Worst they do is fine you.

I don't do idle threats from judges. I don't want to pay any fine either, small community here they not only can find me... They Know me my wife is related to several people in the courthouse.... Easier to call and if not exempted than drive 8 hours round trip and be there...
18javelin
hunter

Postby Underradar » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:43 pm

People like you are ruining this country. It is your civic duty to serve on a jury. What if everyone was selfish like you? There would be no juries and criminals would run free. You need to volunteer for community service to make up for your shameful lack of Americanism.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:51 pm

Underradar wrote:People like you are ruining this country. It is your civic duty to serve on a jury. What if everyone was selfish like you? There would be no juries and criminals would run free. You need to volunteer for community service to make up for your shameful lack of Americanism.

No
18javelin
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 6:00 pm

Blow it off. He's guilty anyway. If he weren't, why would they arrest him?
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby Swamp Gas » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:31 am

Show up wearing something Nazi or KKK related.
Swamp Gas
hunter

Postby MinnesotaDan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 12:39 am

Just tell them you live somewhere else now.
Nobody cares about your season totals.
MinnesotaDan
hunter

Postby hillbilly.. » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:58 am

just go and don't show up tell em you were outa town went it showd up ive gotten 4 that ive completely for got to show up and never heard a word.
hillbilly..
hunter

Postby steelshotslayer » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:44 pm

I walked in during the questioning told them I flat out thought he was guilty I was excused :D :hammer:
Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed. Help stem the violence. Eat ducks
steelshotslayer
hunter

Postby macdaddy » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:21 pm

18javelin wrote:
Underradar wrote:People like you are ruining this country. It is your civic duty to serve on a jury. What if everyone was selfish like you? There would be no juries and criminals would run free. You need to volunteer for community service to make up for your shameful lack of Americanism.

No

"No"? Is that your best & only response? I teach civic duty to my students daily. Jury duty is an awesome responsibility. What would happen if a sheriff or constable stopped you on the way to hunt and deputized you? Your response - "Can't sheriff - chasin' 'nuther albino deer." Escaped prisoner gets away; but you got to hunt. Civic duty, jav - civic duty.

What has this nation come to? :crying: :crying: :crying:
I'm the guy your Mother Goose warned you about.
macdaddy
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:13 pm

macdaddy wrote:"No"? Is that your best & only response? I teach civic duty to my students daily. Jury duty is an awesome responsibility. What would happen if a sheriff or constable stopped you on the way to hunt and deputized you? Your response - "Can't sheriff - chasin' 'nuther albino deer." Escaped prisoner gets away; but you got to hunt. Civic duty, jav - civic duty.

Yes officer, of course I'll do your job for you.
Bill Herian
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:36 am

macdaddy wrote:
18javelin wrote:

No

"No"? Is that your best & only response? I teach civic duty to my students daily. Jury duty is an awesome responsibility. What would happen if a sheriff or constable stopped you on the way to hunt and deputized you? Your response - "Can't sheriff - chasin' 'nuther albino deer." Escaped prisoner gets away; but you got to hunt. Civic duty, jav - civic duty.

What has this nation come to? :crying: :crying: :crying:

Jury members are stupid. They were the only ones who couldn't come up with an excuse to get out of it. I always say Im a racist who believes in the death penalty and If the guy/ girl made it this far they are guilty.

And I would rather deer hunt than chase a escaped convict. If you let him run away it's not my fault. If he ran by my tree stand I would call 911. If he spooked a big deer away from me , I'd shoot him.

-Gene Hill

OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole