Flu Shots for Kids..yes or no?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Flu Shots for Kids..yes or no?

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:23 am

I am a teacher who comes in contact with 1500 kids (before counting colleagues etc) every day. My wife is a teacher in 2 buildings and that means that she comes in contact with about 3500 kids a day..my 3 year old is in a pre-school program with his own exposure and we have a one-year-old at home..
I am not thrilled with giving my kids shots of any kind..but I think with the amount of exposure that my wife and I have...it's a good thing to do.
Anyone have some hard evidence on why or why not?
You can dredge up a million articles on the net about how important it is, and another million on what a hazard it is...leaving you right back where you started..
You guys?
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Re: Flu Shots for Kids..yes or no?

Postby Boatman » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:34 am

I think you would be crazy not to get them for all of you. Kids will not get shots they will spits them up the nose, no pain. We get ours for free at the local farm show every year.
There are still things worth dying for and 1 of those things is freedom.

I love Geese

Genesis 27:3 Now then, get your weapons, quiver and bow, go out in the fields and hunt some wild game for me.
Boatman
hunter

Postby LadyK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:38 am

The problem is, there is no hard evidence either way. It comes down to personal choice and parental instincts. Personally, I understand either choice. I don't judge one way or the other. I know I've never gotten a flu shot. I know I had a weird strain the shot didn't cover anyway a few years back. I had aches, fever and fatigue for about 4 days. I've had epically worse stomach bugs. I also, know other people that get the shot every year and have also never had it. Isn't amazing how simple decisions get so complex when you add the ever looming "parental guilt" to it? :lol3:
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Slack Tide » Wed Dec 11, 2013 11:51 am

Boatman wrote:I think you would be crazy not to get them for all of you. Kids will not get shots they will spits them up the nose, no pain. We get ours for free at the local farm show every year.

It's a real shot...
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:00 pm

Do it. There's plenty of hard evidence it saves lives, especially in the very young, very old, and otherwise sick. You owe it not only to your one year old, but any elderly family you're around, as flu can be life threatening for them.

The "doctor" that started the anti-vaccine craze admitted he fabricated his data and made it all up. Unfortunately, that story didn't get as much publicity as his original story...
Rick Hall 2016
He'll turn it all around. Unless he doesn't.
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby 18javelin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:58 pm

bighop wrote:Do it. There's plenty of hard evidence it saves lives, especially in the very young, very old, and otherwise sick. You owe it not only to your one year old, but any elderly family you're around, as flu can be life threatening for them.

The "doctor" that started the anti-vaccine craze admitted he fabricated his data and made it all up. Unfortunately, that story didn't get as much publicity as his original story...

Typical brain washed Dr response..... :sarcmark:

I don't get one I did get my kids one and like ladyk said they both got a strain the shot didn't cover and had to put the son in hospital for 2 days anyways. he was 13-14 months old... I figured no since in giving them a unknown shot for curing a unknown virus....

To each their own we weighed on it over and over and decided not to. To many vaccines have been found years down the road to cause ailments. So here you will get the typical 50/50 response.... LOL
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:59 pm

Sure, get the shot. That way the government can keep track of you easier through the microchip.
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby JuniorPre 360 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:19 pm

assateague wrote:Sure, get the shot. That way the government can keep track of you easier through the microchip.

X2 Just wait and the government will make it a requirement for our future children or grandkids. This and some flu shots contain Thimerosal, a mercury-based preservative.

http://fox13now.com/2013/11/22/utah-mother-says-her-son-died-due-to-flu-shot/
This also happened about 45 miles from my home.
A BAD DAY AT THE MARSH BEATS A GOOD DAY AT WORK.
killwoodies101 wrote:your a dudshe bag! You dont own the river your dont own any property around it.. Its just as mush mine and any other tom **** and harry's as it is yours !! get a life share what is yours or stop hunting
JuniorPre 360
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:20 pm

bighop wrote:Do it. There's plenty of hard evidence it saves lives, especially in the very young, very old, and otherwise sick. You owe it not only to your one year old, but any elderly family you're around, as flu can be life threatening for them.

What? So vaccinations really don't cause autism??
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:21 pm

assateague wrote:Sure, get the shot. That way the government can keep track of you easier through the microchip.

:lol3: :lol3: :lol3:
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby OGblackcloud » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:27 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

Why the nervous laugh ?
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 1:58 pm

Most people that get sick say it's the flu and don't realize that is usually just a mild case of food poisoning.

Every year about half a million people around the world die of the flu and last century there were 3 outbreaks that killed millions. The facts back up getting a flu shot. Anyone that doesn't take advantage of them for their children is rolling the dice and betting their kid's lives.

Personally I think it might be a great way to clean out the gene pool... And will provide a few great lessons to parents - provided they don't die first.

Lesson 1: It teaches thoughtless parents that some decisions have real life and death consequences---
It's no fun to watch your own child die when a cytokine storm hit his/her lungs and they drown in fluid manufactured by their own immune system.

Lesson 2: It teaches stubborn parents that they can't do a simple risk assessment---
More to the point, the flu has killed. There is no denying that fact... "But, hey, my child might get sick from the vaccination so why bother saving his life?"

Lesson 3: It teaches dumb parents a quick lesson in distinguishing certainty from probability---
As I pointed out, the flu has killed and there is a 100% certainty that it will kill again. "My kid got sick last time anyway so no need to get another shot - until they actually die. Then I'll make sure they get a shot the next flu season even though it will probably make him/her sick again..."

That is all.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:56 pm

18javelin wrote:To each their own we weighed on it over and over and decided not to. To many vaccines have been found years down the road to cause ailments. So here you will get the typical 50/50 response.... LOL

Having weighed the evidence thoroughly, can you tell me the vaccines that were found later to have caused ailments?
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 2:56 pm

slowshooter wrote:Most people that get sick say it's the flu and don't realize that is usually just a mild case of food poisoning.

Every year about half a million people around the world die of the flu and last century there were 3 outbreaks that killed millions. The facts back up getting a flu shot. Anyone that doesn't take advantage of them for their children is rolling the dice and betting their kid's lives.

Personally I think it might be a great way to clean out the gene pool... And will provide a few great lessons to parents - provided they don't die first.

Lesson 1: It teaches thoughtless parents that some decisions have real life and death consequences---
It's no fun to watch your own child die when a cytokine storm hit his/her lungs and they drown in fluid manufactured by their own immune system.

Lesson 2: It teaches stubborn parents that they can't do a simple risk assessment---
More to the point, the flu has killed. There is no denying that fact... "But, hey, my child might get sick from the vaccination so why bother saving his life?"

Lesson 3: It teaches dumb parents a quick lesson in distinguishing certainty from probability---
As I pointed out, the flu has killed and there is a 100% certainty that it will kill again. "My kid got sick last time anyway so no need to get another shot - until they actually die. Then I'll make sure they get a shot the next flu season even though it will probably make him/her sick again..."

That is all.

Can't say any of that isn't true...
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby sampsonhuntin » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:13 pm

I've gotten one in the past but haven't in the past 6 years or so and have not caught the flu.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:18 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:
Locked&Loaded wrote:

Why the nervous laugh ?

The government gives us docs 'kick-backs' for every microchip, ahem, I mean vaccinations we implant, I mean administer.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby whistlin_wings » Wed Dec 11, 2013 3:47 pm

Bet that church in Dallas feels dumb for not getting a measels vaccine when one of their members brought it back from Indonesia. You have to feel special when it was declared eliminated within the past 10 years and you manage to infect 20+ people.

My flu shot is free and "required" but I have asthma and considered high risk and have gotten one since I can remember and never had the flu.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:18 pm

I don't care if I get the flu.

It would suck if I killed a little kid or grammy when I gave it to them, so I get vaccinated.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby LadyK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:28 pm

It's easy to judge when you've never seen or reacted to normal routine vaccines. I get my kids vaccinated. But it isn't without great concern. I see the flu shot a little differently. It's always changing. If my doctor cant tell me with great confidence what's going into my child, I'm a little more nervous. Amazingly, everyone has a different make up. Not everyone fits in the box of medical normal. Being that myself and several other of my family members fall out of that box. I'm a little more cautious. And I don't consider myself a bad parent being that way. With the flu shot, I typically wait until they are a little older just in case there is a reaction.
"Indeed, this seems actually to be a psychological and sociological law: the power of some needs the folly of others." -Bonhoeffer
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby assateague » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:45 pm

bighop wrote:I don't care if I get the flu.

It would suck if I killed a little kid or grammy when I gave it to them, so I get vaccinated.

You do realize that you can still give them the flu without actually having it, right?
WOLVERINES

Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Let a man vote to give himself a fish and he eats until society collapses.
assateague
Emu hunter extraordinaire

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:46 pm

LadyK wrote:It's easy to judge when you've never seen or reacted to normal routine vaccines. I get my kids vaccinated. But it isn't without great concern. I see the flu shot a little differently. It's always changing. If my doctor cant tell me with great confidence what's going into my child, I'm a little more nervous. Amazingly, everyone has a different make up. Not everyone fits in the box of medical normal. Being that myself and several other of my family members fall out of that box. I'm a little more cautious. And I don't consider myself a bad parent being that way. With the flu shot, I typically wait until they are a little older just in case there is a reaction.

The strains included change, nothing else changes.

Sure people have reactions. Most are local, some are mild systemic reactions to the introduction of a weak pathogen, none are worth the risk to avoid, unless you have a known anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine component, which is pretty uncommon.

If your doctor answered and told you this year, we have H5N23, H6N8, and H2N7 included, how would that influence your decision?

And I hope you don't give your kids vitamins. No one with any sort of confidence can tell you what's in those things...
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby bighop » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:50 pm

assateague wrote:
bighop wrote:I don't care if I get the flu.

You do realize that you can still give them the flu without actually having it, right?

If you mean dirty hands, then sure. That's why I use that hand sanitizer mounted everywhere before and after every patient. Hopefully even nonvaccinators wash their hands....

If you mean it's in my body systemically, but I have a sub-clinical case, the vaccine will reduce this risk as well.
Rick Hall 2016
bighop
Sugar Daddy

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:58 pm

I havent gotten the flu in a long time, going on 5 years without a vaccine according to my mother. Even in contact with people at a public school. If you're kids are the type to get sick alot, id do it just to be safe. The only thing i dont like the idea of, is having a " dorment " or " killed virus " being shot up into my body. I just do my best to wash my hands, real basic stuff.
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby LadyK » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:20 pm

bighop wrote:
LadyK wrote:It's easy to judge when you've never seen or reacted to normal routine vaccines. I get my kids vaccinated. But it isn't without great concern. I see the flu shot a little differently. It's always changing. If my doctor cant tell me with great confidence what's going into my child, I'm a little more nervous. Amazingly, everyone has a different make up. Not everyone fits in the box of medical normal. Being that myself and several other of my family members fall out of that box. I'm a little more cautious. And I don't consider myself a bad parent being that way. With the flu shot, I typically wait until they are a little older just in case there is a reaction.

The strains included change, nothing else changes.

Sure people have reactions. Most are local, some are mild systemic reactions to the introduction of a weak pathogen, none are worth the risk to avoid, unless you have a known anaphylactic reaction to a vaccine component, which is pretty uncommon.

If your doctor answered and told you this year, we have H5N23, H6N8, and H2N7 included, how would that influence your decision?

And I hope you don't give your kids vitamins. No one with any sort of confidence can tell you what's in those things...

Most pediatricians I have come in contact with are generally caught off guard by any questions I have regarding vaccines. And if your wondering, I personally am one of those anaphylactic reacting rare people with routine vaccines and an entire bizzare list of medications. And before we start getting into how allergies are not inherited, I already know that. However, my sons reactions are proving to be just like mine. It may not be inherited but they are just as scary for me, as I'm sure it was for my mom. Just cause I don't blindly follow a doctors advice isn't a bad thing. Do you know how many doctors I've given my list of "can't takes" to and still gotten meds I can't take? Trust me, parental guilt looms in all forms. Its a personal choice though and at times it becomes risk assement.
LadyK
Forum Moderator

Postby TXducksanddeer » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:21 pm

DuckManClyde wrote:I havent gotten the flu in a long time, going on 5 years without a vaccine according to my mother. Even in contact with people at a public school. If you're kids are the type to get sick alot, id do it just to be safe. The only thing i dont like the idea of, is having a " dorment " or " killed virus " being shot up into my body. I just do my best to wash my hands, real basic stuff.

Yep. I think kids should get it but when they become a teenager you can stop. Teenagers are more responsible about hygiene and don't get sick as often.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole