Flu Shots for Kids..yes or no?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Re: Flu Shots for Kids..yes or no?

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:33 pm

Who said allergies are not hereditary? Must be a complete idiot. No one in my family had them until a cousin married a woman with allergies. Must have been magic that all their kids had the exact same allergies. :fingerhead:

I don't get the shot and won't. Why? They often don't get the right flu strain for starters which makes the shot entirely irrelevant. There have been shot recalls for bad batches, long after injections occurred, and you are quite likely to have issues with negative responses to the shots. I haven't had the flu at any point in my life to date. When I get older I may decide to go that route and take one. Hopefully by then the folks who make the shots will have gotten their stuff together.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Wed Dec 11, 2013 5:57 pm

slowshooter wrote:Most people that get sick say it's the flu and don't realize that is usually just a mild case of food poisoning.

Every year about half a million people around the world die of the flu and last century there were 3 outbreaks that killed millions. The facts back up getting a flu shot. Anyone that doesn't take advantage of them for their children is rolling the dice and betting their kid's lives.

Personally I think it might be a great way to clean out the gene pool... And will provide a few great lessons to parents - provided they don't die first.

Lesson 1: It teaches thoughtless parents that some decisions have real life and death consequences---
It's no fun to watch your own child die when a cytokine storm hit his/her lungs and they drown in fluid manufactured by their own immune system.

Lesson 2: It teaches stubborn parents that they can't do a simple risk assessment---
More to the point, the flu has killed. There is no denying that fact... "But, hey, my child might get sick from the vaccination so why bother saving his life?"

Lesson 3: It teaches dumb parents a quick lesson in distinguishing certainty from probability---
As I pointed out, the flu has killed and there is a 100% certainty that it will kill again. "My kid got sick last time anyway so no need to get another shot - until they actually die. Then I'll make sure they get a shot the next flu season even though it will probably make him/her sick again..."

That is all.

Food poisoning? Stay away from those rotten tacos!

I always get a little sick from the flu shot, same with my wife and girls. Last year I got the shot and still caught a case of the flu. Yes it was the flu, but it was a mild case.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby DuckManClyde » Wed Dec 11, 2013 7:08 pm

X2 on the inherited allergies. I turn into pollens little b**** during the spring. Many symptoms, mainly the sinus headaches. Nothing a couple ibuprofen can't fix though.( I got it from mah momma)
If offended, and or irritated with the above post, please refer to my caring face :hi:
DuckManClyde
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:46 pm

I credit my not being sick to not getting the vaccines. Getting vaccines and taking medications for small infections and common colds is not a good long term solution. It's like welfare for your immune system. If your antibodies are getting free "Obama" phones why would they ever want to work on their own?

I had a GF that would always go to the doctor for meds no mater how sick. She would sniffle a little and be in the waiting room the next day. She always wondered why she got sick.
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Wed Dec 11, 2013 9:40 pm

Flu shot? Might as well put on your uniform, 'cause you're part of Obama's army now.
I need about tree fiddy.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Wed Dec 11, 2013 10:23 pm

we weren't designed to live in sterile environments, dirt and some general filth are good for you. we need microbes living on and around us to maintain our immune systems. The only thing i do is wash my hands regularly with anti bacterial soap. I usually don't take medicine and I will never, ever get a flu shot, ever, I just can't do needles.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:30 am

Get it. My guess is that a large fraction of the people that think they had influenza, did not. I got it when I was at the healthiest point in my life. It knocked me on my ass hard. Holy crap. And while on my ass from influenza, I caught pneumonia. I went into the doctor and he said, I haven't had a case of pneumonia this year, but I'll bet your my first before he even really did anything :lol3: I never felt so cold in my life, my "at rest" heart rate was over 120 even though I was running about 25-30 miles per week and a solid lifting routine 3 times per week.

Sure they might not have the right strain, but there is a 100% chance that they don't if you don't get vaccinated.

If I had not been so healthy, I'm sure I would have been in danger and if unhealthy, I now see how it kills such huge numbers of people. Get vaccinated and do what you can to not spread it around. It's definitely a life saver.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:43 am

I decided to NOT get the 2nd part of the shot for my 26lb, 1yr old...he had the first part, and it turns out that the 2nd shot was an "enhanced booster" for first time patients..the nurse said that "one is better than none, but we like to see them have both"...I asked her "is he covered with what he had?"
and she said yes...so I figured I'd leave it at that. My 3 year old, wife and I have all had it...so I think we are good.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby LiquidA45 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 8:05 am

If you have had any contact with the flu virus and then get the vaccine, it is almost guaranteed that you will come down sick with the flu. With as many kids as you come in contact with I am sure you have come in contact with the virus. I have had the flu twice in 24 years, both times I had the vaccine and then had the flu a week later.
LiquidA45
hunter

Postby slowshooter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:33 am

I appreciate the skepticism that folks have over things like vaccinations but honestly the flu doesn't care if you think you're (or actually are) a special snowflake. If it can kill you it will kill you.

For those that think they can move quick if a "bad one" happens. Look at a timeline.

The incubation period for the flu is on average 2 days. If it's a flu that's fast moving and potent it can kick off off a positive feed back loop in your immune system within 48 hours after that. When the first of three waves of the Spanish flu hit it was called the "three day fever".

When the second wave hit it moved so fast that folks could have dinner with friends one night, then the next day have their faces turn brown or purple, their feet would turn black, they would bleed from every orifice in the body and even through the skin (petechia), then their lungs would fill up and they would die within 24 hours after their dinner party... Those that were unlucky lived to get pneumonia and die slowly in an age where antibiotics didn't exist.

The most insidious thing about that flu was it operated contrary to normal expectations. Instead of killing children and the elderly. It killed the folks that had the most healthy immune systems... So folk from 18 to 40 were the people that were most likely to die. Many kids were left orphans - for those living in isolated areas the parents would die and their babies would starve in the crib or if toddlers they would just sit with their dead Mom and/or Dad until the they died as well.

Death could visit healthy parents in just 3 days.

How long until your vaccination works as promised? About 2 weeks.

The flu combined with the calendar isn't going coddle any ideas of superiority, or notion that there could be long term problems with some super secret government chemical. If the flu is virulent, and you are infected. See ya.

The government can't manufacture enough of vaccinations for everyone fast enough - so don't spare the horses when they become available in your area. If it ends up being a super flu, because the government wanted to avoid a panic and a financial meltdown, then demand will put you at the end of a very long line and that wait that could be months.

But you? You got three days.
All this for a bowl of borscht.
slowshooter
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:26 pm

This was the first year in a while that I haven't gotten the flu shot. They were offering it at work right before I went to Spain. I didn't want to get sick.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:42 pm

vincentpa wrote:This was the first year in a while that I haven't gotten the flu shot. They were offering it at work right before I went to Spain. I didn't want to get sick.
Have you got sick in the past. A number of people have said this. I've got the flu shot every year over a decade now and I've never gotten any ill effects from it. A number of people have said this, but neither I nor my wife has gotten sick from the shot. We don't have any kids and are rarely around any, so we are far less likely to have colds and all the other things that the little germ dispensers bring around. I wonder how much of it is just that you get it when the beginning of the cold season arrives and it's that and not the shot. Maybe I'm just lucky. It just struck me as weird since you were one of many to have said similar things.

Any of the docs, is this a real side effect?
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:59 pm

I've gotten I'll every time. I've probably had flew shot for six or seven years. Like clockwork I get a mild cold with slight fever. The wife too. We usually get the shots at different times too. Too much coincidence.

Sent from my iPhone 5, which sucks my cojones. Don't buy one.
vincentpa
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:22 pm

vincentpa wrote:I've gotten I'll every time. I've probably had flew shot for six or seven years. Like clockwork I get a mild cold with slight fever. The wife too. We usually get the shots at different times too. Too much coincidence.

Yeah, that doesn't sound like coincidence. :huh:

I guess I'm just lucky in that regard.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Ga ducker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:43 pm

Never had the shot before. I usually just take vitamin c daily, and regularly wash my hands.
Ga ducker
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:30 pm

My ex was also a teacher with exposure to 100s of kids a day. While she occassionally got the flu I never did. I have not had the flu in over 25 years though I do get a touch of food poisoning now and then. I believe doctors are so quick to fill us with meds that they hamper our immune systems. Really unless a child has other issues or illnesses that may be compounded by catching the flu I probably wouldn't so his immune system could develop naturally. The reason it is beneficial to the elderly is that exact reason...... they already have other health issues...................

I got a flu shot for the first time this year but I didn't get it for myself I got it to reduce my chances of being a carrier to my newborn grandchild.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby henslayer101 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 10:18 pm

I haven't had flu in my short life year (knock on wood). Haven't had the flu shot in about 10 years since my grandparents stopped making me get it (lol). I don't take medicine, don't wash my hands 10,000 times a day, and rarely go to the doctor or get sick with anything other than a runny nose from allergies or whatever. I think we are too hygienic (IMHO) but I am no expert and have not read any peer reviewed articles on the topic.
henslayer101
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:30 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:My ex was also a teacher with exposure to 100s of kids a day. While she occassionally got the flu I never did. I have not had the flu in over 25 years though I do get a touch of food poisoning now and then. I believe doctors are so quick to fill us with meds that they hamper our immune systems. Really unless a child has other issues or illnesses that may be compounded by catching the flu I probably wouldn't so his immune system could develop naturally. The reason it is beneficial to the elderly is that exact reason...... they already have other health issues...................

I got a flu shot for the first time this year but I didn't get it for myself I got it to reduce my chances of being a carrier to my newborn grandchild.

The idea of a vaccine is to let your immune system work naturally. It's not like antibiotics. It is using your natural immune system to protect you.

And trust me I had no health issues the one time I got the honest to goodness flu and it knocked me on my ass. If I had any I didn't know about, I would have found out. In addition, while my body was knocked down, I caught pneumonia. I can all but guarantee if I was a child I would have been hospitalized. The doc told me if I was older I would have been.

I used to think I occasionally got the flu until I got the flu. It is bad freaking news. And what if your kid gets the flu and gives it to a grandparent and they die. It's not just the person getting vaccinated that is being protected.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:43 am

What are your chances of dying from the flu, even if you contract it? I have never known an otherwise healthy person who has died from the flu. Whenever I get the flu I feel like I'm going to die, but I'm too pickled to actually die.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:05 am

BurnettGunner wrote:What are your chances of dying from the flu, even if you contract it? I have never known an otherwise healthy person who has died from the flu. Whenever I get the flu I feel like I'm going to die, but I'm too pickled to actually die.

Nobody knows for sure and you won't likely die of the flu, you will die of something else that happened because you got the flu. You may not have realized that being too pickled has wore something out as it eventually will or you just aren't as young as you used to be and then the flu opens the door for complications related to a problem that was not diagnosed to get you.
http://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/disease/us_flu-related_deaths.htm
CDC does not know exactly how many people die from seasonal flu each year. There are several reasons for this. First, states are not required to report individual seasonal flu cases or deaths of people older than 18 years of age to CDC. Second, seasonal influenza is infrequently listed on death certificates of people who die from flu-related complications. Third, many seasonal flu-related deaths occur one or two weeks after a person’s initial infection, either because the person may develop a secondary bacterial co-infection (such as bacterial pneumonia) or because seasonal influenza can aggravate an existing chronic illness (such as congestive heart failure or chronic obstructive pulmonary disease). Also, most people who die from seasonal flu-related complications are not tested for flu, or they seek medical care later in their illness when seasonal influenza can no longer be detected from respiratory samples. Sensitive influenza tests are only likely to detect influenza if performed within a week after onset of illness. In addition, some commonly used tests to diagnose influenza in clinical settings are not highly sensitive and can provide false negative results (i.e. they misdiagnose flu illness as not being flu.) For these reasons, many flu-related deaths may not be recorded on death certificates. These are some of the reasons that CDC and other public health agencies in the United States and other countries use statistical models to estimate the annual number of seasonal flu-related deaths. Flu deaths in children were made a nationally notifiable condition in 2004, and since then, states have reported flu-related child deaths in the United States through the Influenza Associated Pediatric Mortality Surveillance System.

Really, the most likely death will not be you, but any old people in your life.

The MMWR study also found that during seasons when influenza A (H3N2) viruses were prominent death rates were more than double what they were during seasons when influenza A (H1N1) or influenza B viruses predominated. In addition, the study confirmed previous findings that about 90% of influenza associated deaths occur among adults 65 years and older.

Getting drunk off your ass, driving home is almost never a problem, almost. Same with the flu. You will probably be fine and you probably won't pass it on to kill grandma or someone's baby, probably.

If you are 100% sober, driving home is almost never a problem, almost. Same with the flu. You will probably be fine if you dont' get the flu shot and you probably won't pass it on to kill grandma or someone's baby, probably.

That's not an argument for drunk driving or not getting the flu shot because neither guarantees your safety or the safety of others.

There are far more flu deaths than drunk driving death, so which is more important to reduce? :huh:
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby Underradar » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:18 am

They used to give free flu shots at the local ethnic schools until they realized it was turning most of them into retarded criminals. Now, they just let them get the flu and hope for the best.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole