No Boat Blind

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

No Boat Blind

Postby pudgedog95 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:40 pm

Looking for some Ideas...... I just purchased a boat so I will not have to rely on someone else to duck hunt anymore. However, I do not have a blind, and will not be able to make one until after the season. Any Ideas on how to most effectively conceal boat and be able to hunt?
pudgedog95
hunter

Re: No Boat Blind

Postby t_baker » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:50 pm

pudgedog95 wrote:Looking for some Ideas...... I just purchased a boat so I will not have to rely on someone else to duck hunt anymore. However, I do not have a blind, and will not be able to make one until after the season. Any Ideas on how to most effectively conceal boat and be able to hunt?

Buy some canvas and throw some brush on it.
t_baker
hunter

Postby David » Thu Dec 12, 2013 1:53 pm

What are you hunting? It's completely different for open water, grass, woods, rivers or creeks. Also what type of boat are we talking about and what color? Got to give some details before we can help you out.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:13 pm

Look up a currituck scissor rig they are awesome.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Thu Dec 12, 2013 2:28 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:10 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:Image

That boat is sticking out like a sore thumb. The motor might as well be a bright orange VW bug.
quacknstack6 wrote:L&L is right
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby David » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:40 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:That boat is sticking out like a sore thumb. The motor might as well be a bright orange VW bug.

I used to kill a bunch of birds like this. Depends on the day and what's flying though.
ImageImageImage
David
Lefty

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:44 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:Look up a currituck scissor rig they are awesome.

For divers, sure. Depends on where/what he is hunting.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby jaysweet3 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:54 pm

I'm guessing you'll be hunting out of the boat. It's Christmas season, go get some crappy trees and cut off the limbs, make a messy sappy blind. You'll smell like a car air freshener, but you'll be hidden.
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:55 pm

pudgedog95 wrote:Looking for some Ideas...... I just purchased a boat so I will not have to rely on someone else to duck hunt anymore. However, I do not have a blind, and will not be able to make one until after the season. Any Ideas on how to most effectively conceal boat and be able to hunt?

If you want secure frame blind I can help. We cover with grass and cloth. Hunting rivers/swamps.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386885278.387896.jpg

There are flaps at the top that fold down for driving.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:34 pm

Buy some camo burlap. Cut a few pieces of black PVC to lay across the width of the boat and lay the burlap over it. Notch the bottom of the cross piece to slide over the boat rail. Zip tie the burlap off to the cross pieces. You will want to cut out an opening for you and a buddy to sit up in to shoot from. When you get to your hunting area, cut a bunch of grass or brush and use it to finish the camo job before your hunt.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:04 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:Look up a currituck scissor rig they are awesome.

For divers, sure. Depends on where/what he is hunting.

What titz said, I was in a hurry.

OP, you going to tell us what type of hunting you will be doing?
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:12 pm

Assuming you're hunting in shallow enough water, just hide the boat and sit on chairs or stools in a temporary blind. That's what most people do around here. Then build a good boat blind during the off season.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:38 pm

There was a company that made a camo boat cover with zippered shooting compartments in it.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:39 am

This year I had same problem. Had some luaun plywood laying around, cut it into strips and bent it into the boat. Then covered it all with burlap and secured it with some wood clamps I had in the garage. Cost me about 25 bucks. All the plywood eventually snapped from getting waterlogged but it was end of the season by then anyhow.

Sucked in the wind & rain, but I still killed ducks out of it. There is no greater motivation to build a proper blind than fooling with a half-assed one all season.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am

A "cap" I made from 1x6 and 1/4" ply ffor a 12' v hull.
I cut two pieces to fit gunwal to gunwal and used them for the ends of the "box" you see. I tapered the 1x6 from the box to the gunwal for slope so the water would run off. I put a 1/2" piece around the box to attach the plywood to. I clamped the box frame in place and laid down plywood pieces I cut slightly oversized on the sides so they overhang. I then traced the gunwal on the bottom of the ply to get the shape of the boat and cut. They were then attached to the box and screwed down to the gunwal at about 16" oc. The front piece is just flat with a couple brace pieces inderneath and screwed to the gunwals as is the back with a cutout for the motor. I also made caps to fit the openings. I did go back and add some braces as needed underneath. I added silica to the paint to give it a rough surface. Note that unless it is braced good it is not really a walkable surface. The 2 box ends extend 4" below the gunwall and are held in place by 2 screws through the hull. It's a pretty light setup and comes off in about15 minutes

dakotashooter2
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole