What would Indaswamp do with this?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

What would Indaswamp do with this?

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:09 pm

Received this as a Christmas gift from my wife's uncle who lives in Baton Rouge LA. Looking for ideas on what to cook?
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386886172.476108.jpg
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Re: What would Indaswamp do with this?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Swamp used the cajun injector in a turkey, said it was good .
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ctdeathfrombelow » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

He would send it to me, I'll PM you my address kthnxbye
ctdeathfrombelow
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm

Last edited by Botiz630 on Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Papachessie » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:15 pm

Duck gumbo.
Last edited by Papachessie on Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby creole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:24 pm

Use the cajun power to marinate anything for the grill and the injector for turkey and deep fry

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby creole » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Tonys is all purpose seasoning and the file is to add to a roux gumbo or you can make a file gumbo but that bottle ain't enough

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk
creole
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:31 pm

Inda would use it on meat.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Indafire » Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:40 pm

This Inda would use the Creole Butter on any type of poultry, or to marinate red meat prior to making kabobs. (Which I am certain Swamp has that recipe posted somewhere.) The Tony's is a good cajun seasoning base, but be careful because it tends to be salty for some. That box jambalaya mix would serve as decent bird seed where I am from. (Gonzales, LA - Jambalaya Capitol of the World) The green chile sauce and file can be used heavily in a good chicken and andouille gumbo. The fish fry is...well just that. If you want your fish to be just a little more crispy add some corn starch to the batter. The cobbler mix would work well for a peach dump cake, which is easier to make than cobbler. Just put canned peaches in a baking dish (usually 8x8) and cover with the dry mix. Top that with pats of butter. The more butter, the better the batter will turn out. Not sure what the BBQ shrimp marinade would be used for since we don't really BBQ shrimp...but I would imagine if you have shrimp you'd be better served using the Cajun Power instead of the BBQ. That garlic sauce is AWESOME STUFF! Maybe this helps...if not...good luck!
I refuse to engage the unarmed in a battle of wits.
Indafire
hunter

Postby whistlin_wings » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:10 pm

Well I'm a little crazy but I'd use the cobbler mix to make cobbler, box of jambalaya to make jambalaya, fry some fish up in the fish fry mix, and maybe bbq some shrimp with that bbq shrimp sauce. But that's just me.
You may all go to hell, and I will go to Texas.
whistlin_wings
State Moderator

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:26 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Well I'm a little crazy but I'd use the cobbler mix to make cobbler, box of jambalaya to make jambalaya, fry some fish up in the fish fry mix, and maybe bbq some shrimp with that bbq shrimp sauce. But that's just me.

I agree with you WW

I hate geese
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:29 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Swamp used the cajun injector in a turkey, said it was good .

Still tired of turkey. But may save and try later. Indafire says good with red meat kabobs will probably try that.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:32 pm

Indafire wrote:This Inda would use the Creole Butter on any type of poultry, or to marinate red meat prior to making kabobs. (Which I am certain Swamp has that recipe posted somewhere.) The Tony's is a good cajun seasoning base, but be careful because it tends to be salty for some. That box jambalaya mix would serve as decent bird seed where I am from. (Gonzales, LA - Jambalaya Capitol of the World) The green chile sauce and file can be used heavily in a good chicken and andouille gumbo. The fish fry is...well just that. If you want your fish to be just a little more crispy add some corn starch to the batter. The cobbler mix would work well for a peach dump cake, which is easier to make than cobbler. Just put canned peaches in a baking dish (usually 8x8) and cover with the dry mix. Top that with pats of butter. The more butter, the better the batter will turn out. Not sure what the BBQ shrimp marinade would be used for since we don't really BBQ shrimp...but I would imagine if you have shrimp you'd be better served using the Cajun Power instead of the BBQ. That garlic sauce is AWESOME STUFF! Maybe this helps...if not...good luck!

Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure about file. Got a gumbo recipe will put to use. Never heard about cornstarch in batter thanks for tip. Like my fish crispy.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:35 pm

whistlin_wings wrote:Well I'm a little crazy but I'd use the cobbler mix to make cobbler, box of jambalaya to make jambalaya, fry some fish up in the fish fry mix, and maybe bbq some shrimp with that bbq shrimp sauce. But that's just me.

I think like you. But learned to make dump cake with cobbler. Cajuns don't BBQ shrimp. And the jambalaya goes in the bird feeder.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Professor_Leakey » Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:37 pm

fyi file powder is the leaves of the sassafrass tree, dried and ground into a powder. you can make it yourself very easily in the future. it is used for flavor and it also thickens up the gumbo.
I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
Professor_Leakey
hunter

Postby i_willie12 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:47 am

Tonys has a fish fry mix!!!!!!!!!!!! Dang me living in the North :crying:
"Some people pride themselves on how far they can shoot ducks others pride themselves on how close they can get them. I'm an other!!! "
John Stephens RNT

HRCH Wilson's Grand Priarie Pintail "Sprig"
i_willie12
hunter

Postby BurnettGunner » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:50 am

Make yourself some Boudin.
BurnettGunner
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:58 am

Oh man, that is one hell of a good gift.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:51 am

Professor_Leakey wrote:fyi file powder is the leaves of the sassafrass tree, dried and ground into a powder. you can make it yourself very easily in the future. it is used for flavor and it also thickens up the gumbo.

Really, didn't know that.
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:17 pm

BurnettGunner wrote:Make yourself some Boudin.

No. I do like to eat boudin. Thumbs up! Not going to make any have been told that if I new what was in it I wouldn't eat.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:35 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:
Indafire wrote:This Inda would use the Creole Butter on any type of poultry, or to marinate red meat prior to making kabobs. (Which I am certain Swamp has that recipe posted somewhere.) The Tony's is a good cajun seasoning base, but be careful because it tends to be salty for some. That box jambalaya mix would serve as decent bird seed where I am from. (Gonzales, LA - Jambalaya Capitol of the World) The green chile sauce and file can be used heavily in a good chicken and andouille gumbo. The fish fry is...well just that. If you want your fish to be just a little more crispy add some corn starch to the batter. The cobbler mix would work well for a peach dump cake, which is easier to make than cobbler. Just put canned peaches in a baking dish (usually 8x8) and cover with the dry mix. Top that with pats of butter. The more butter, the better the batter will turn out. Not sure what the BBQ shrimp marinade would be used for since we don't really BBQ shrimp...but I would imagine if you have shrimp you'd be better served using the Cajun Power instead of the BBQ. That garlic sauce is AWESOME STUFF! Maybe this helps...if not...good luck!

Thanks for the help. Wasn't sure about file. Got a gumbo recipe will put to use. Never heard about cornstarch in batter thanks for tip. Like my fish crispy.

1/2 cup of corn starch to 4 cups of flour or seasoned fish fry... :thumbsup: And I always use egg in fish fry batter. :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:36 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:

I think like you. But learned to make dump cake with cobbler. Cajuns don't BBQ shrimp. And the jambalaya goes in the bird feeder.

Bar B Qued shrimp is a creole dish...
http://www.wwltv.com/video/how-its-done/How-Its-Done-Pascals-Manales-BBQ-Shrimp2-214330971.html

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
Professor_Leakey wrote:fyi file powder is the leaves of the sassafrass tree, dried and ground into a powder. you can make it yourself very easily in the future. it is used for flavor and it also thickens up the gumbo.

Really, didn't know that.

^^^^^Leaky speaks the truth... :thumbsup: file is used in more than just gumbo, but is known mostly for as a gumbo spice.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:43 pm

mix some steen's with dat creole mustard for an awesome dipping sauce for fried wild turkey nuggets or chicken tenders. :thumbsup: :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole