Brant Decoys - Almost Done

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Brant Decoys - Almost Done

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:54 am

I have been working up some decoys to get ready for a hunt I have planned up north with some guys here on DHC. The plan is to hunt sea ducks and Brant Geese over the last week of the season. I figured I should probably get some Brant decoys finished before I go. I am not completely happy with the paint jobs on these decoys. If I get a Brant I will take lots of pictures and repaint them to look more realistic. The plan is to repaint them in the off season. I figure they will hunt well enough to pull some birds. I have plans to make up another 12 to 18 more Brant decoys so I have a bigger spread for next season.

Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Re: Brant Decoys - Almost Done

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:11 pm

Those look pretty damn good :thumbsup: Nice work
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:19 pm

i would recommend throwing out a huge pile of goose decoys along with your works of art on the outside edge of your spread. they will decoy to anything resembling either. the key is big spreads for them IMHO.

awesome job on those by the way! also consider v- boards if you are wanting to add to the spread next year.

You coming up to VA by chance?
lbhansford
hunter

Postby MarkM » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:25 pm

lbhansford wrote:i would recommend throwing out a huge pile of goose decoys along with your works of art on the outside edge of your spread. they will decoy to anything resembling either. the key is big spreads for them IMHO.

awesome job on those by the way! also consider v- boards if you are wanting to add to the spread next year.

Scaup is all the way in Washington, so that would be a heck of a trip
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:30 pm

MarkM wrote:
lbhansford wrote:i would recommend throwing out a huge pile of goose decoys along with your works of art on the outside edge of your spread. they will decoy to anything resembling either. the key is big spreads for them IMHO.

He might go if the guy buys his ticket
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:34 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:
MarkM wrote:

Nobody goes to Yorktown Va on purpose.
Lonely wives, dirty trucks , and happy dogs.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Slack Tide » Fri Dec 13, 2013 12:45 pm

Real nice heads...and everything looks pretty cool but the backs...too chocolatey and they feather detail looks gold??
I think I use Fedora Brown if I remember right.
Also, keep in mind that for EVER I painted mine completely black with a white arse and cheek....that's it...
Killed them all the time.
Nice deeks though
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:45 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:
MarkM wrote:

except cornwalis and george washington.... and to do some of the best fishing in the country....
lbhansford
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 1:58 pm

lbhansford wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
OGblackcloud wrote:
MarkM wrote:

except cornwalis and george washington.... and to do some of the best fishing in the country....

I was there for 12 weeks. All we did was get drunk at a bar by the river. And go to hooters
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:06 pm

you must have been in the coast guard then... yeah, definitely not a whole lot around except history buff kinda stuff, yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown. World reknown for Rockfish/Striped Bass in the winter and summertime you can catch anything from specks and reds to tuna and marlin. variety of fish is amazing!
lbhansford
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:11 pm

lbhansford wrote:you must have been in the coast guard then... yeah, definitely not a whole lot around except history buff kinda stuff, yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown. World reknown for Rockfish/Striped Bass in the winter and summertime you can catch anything from specks and reds to tuna and marlin. variety of fish is amazing!

Yes sir I was. Nice area, Worlds largest concentration of tiny deer. They are all over the battlefields. I did go fishing while I was there and it was pretty cool
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby lbhansford » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:18 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
lbhansford wrote:you must have been in the coast guard then... yeah, definitely not a whole lot around except history buff kinda stuff, yorktown, Williamsburg, Jamestown. World reknown for Rockfish/Striped Bass in the winter and summertime you can catch anything from specks and reds to tuna and marlin. variety of fish is amazing!

Yes sir I was. Nice area, Worlds largest concentration of tiny deer. They are all over the battlefields. I did go fishing while I was there and it was pretty cool

no doubt on the tiny deer but they are oh so tender and we can bag as many does as we like from sept. 1st to March 31st so its all good. I am jealous of the deer you guys have out in Ohio. Saw some serious bruisers on the side of the highway on our way through there back in October heading to Nodak.
lbhansford
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 2:27 pm

I bet the backstraps on them are tasty.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Slack Tide wrote:Real nice heads...and everything looks pretty cool but the backs...too chocolatey and they feather detail looks gold??
I think I use Fedora Brown if I remember right.
Also, keep in mind that for EVER I painted mine completely black with a white arse and cheek....that's it...
Killed them all the time.
Nice deeks though

I know! I am not happy with the colors. I plan to get a Brant in hand and then take some good pictures and match the colors that way. This was my first run at painting them. I have some Fedora Brown and will try that when I get to the repaint process.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:52 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386975094.668556.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386975114.569925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386975136.410023.jpg

#Tazincali
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Redbeard » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Like slack tide said, detail isn't that important

#Tazincali
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Redbeard » Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:58 pm

Once they're close enough to notice they're dead

#Tazincali
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Slack Tide » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:57 am

Here's some of the foamers that I made....
Attachments
Blanks2.jpg
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
Slack Tide
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole