Outdoor Careers

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Outdoor Careers

Postby Greeny » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:38 pm

I'm at the point of selecting colleges for my future career.I am unsure of the classes to look into because I know I want a outdoor/nature related job but need some more examples.What are some good outdoor/nature related jobs?
Last edited by Greeny on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greeny
hunter

Re: Outdoor Careers

Postby steve-o » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:52 pm

CollEge
ByersFarm wrote:Remember that God will not test us beyond what we can handle.

Botiz630 wrote:I'm as tame as a show pony.
steve-o
Forum & State Moderator

Postby luie b » Fri Dec 13, 2013 8:59 pm

If you can't spell college you don't belong in it...
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:05 pm

Outdoor writer/journalist :thumbsup:
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby hydrilla » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:08 pm

Greeny wrote:I'm at the point of selecting colleges for my future career.I am unsure of the classes to look into because I know I want a outdoor/nature related job but need some more examples.What are some good outdoor/nature related jobs?

Major in something that will allow to get a job and make some money. That means majoring in something there is some demand for. Majoring in something like horticulture is like majoring in drama, or art. You make like it, but nobody out there is willing to pay you for it. Go major in something that people will pay you for, get a good job, live well below you means, and then in a few years you will have the money to start your own business doing whatever you like. Majoring in something you "like" is only worthwhile if it something an employer likes. I originally enrolled in college planning to major in forestry, but then I met a guy who had majored in forestry and was selling real-estate because he could not find a job. I decided to major in engineering and I am very glad I went that route. Look at the link below. The unemployment rate in the type of jobs you are looking into is very high, much higher than the national average. This is because there are a lot of people like you who wanted to work in "the outdoors", but there are fewer people will to pay them to do it. Again, think about this before you major in something "fun", and then find yourself 30 years old, living at mama's, and cooking chicken for a living at the local Zaxby's. You can do that without a degree.

http://www.bls.gov/iag/tgs/iag11.htm
hydrilla
hunter

Postby Bill Herian » Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:40 pm

You live two hours away from the largest undergraduate college of natural resources in the country and you're asking a bunch of randos on the internet...
Bill Herian
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole