Our season here was short how about some of you?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby charlie beard » Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:36 pm

We were froze up Nov. 23.
Yet are season still runs close to the end of Dec.
Crazy weather.
Been on the old Mississippi river for 55 years and have never seen weather like this.
We had a storm last week, another last night, and another suppose to hit here next Thurs.
Parts of the East coast to get 12-18 inches of snow tonight or tomorrow .

Now I have cabin fever already.
Ready for spring, mushrooms, garden, sassafras tea etc.

So are you in the same boat I'm in or still hunting?

Could Al Gore be right?
The Monarch butterflys were going South in the latter part of July normally first two weeks of Sept. in this area.
Robins and swallows pulled out by the middle of August. Two to three weeks early.
Have a friend that has two ferrets he tells me this year they had their winter fur on a month early.
Anyone else up North notice these oddities ? :huh:
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.


Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby luie b » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:17 pm

Get out there into the fields there's still ducks around! Saw 10,000 geese this afternoon too.
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Geese and ducks still here. Only problem. On state property can't hunt them . 1000mallards in one corn fields 1000 + geese in another. :mad:

I hate geese
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 9592
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby charlie beard » Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:26 pm

luie b wrote:Get out there into the fields there's still ducks around! Saw 10,000 geese this afternoon too.


Luie
I was in Alexandria, Wayland Mo. the wifes home place farm.
Then to Keokuk, and on to Carthage.
Never seen any birds in the fields.

There is no corn in the fields up here the pickers now days at $400.000 each and more with the head don't leave any corn.
10,000 geese this afternoon.
This is not my first FAIR.
Look at the IL. DNR flyovers.
I doubt if there are 10,000 geese in Hancock and Henderson county.

If there are that many geese how many did you kill today?
Sorry my friend I don't believe you.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby luie b » Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:17 pm

charlie beard wrote:We were froze up Nov. 23.
Yet are season still runs close to the end of Dec.
Crazy weather.
Been on the old Mississippi river for 55 years and have never seen weather like this.
We had a storm last week, another last night, and another suppose to hit here next Thurs.
Parts of the East coast to get 12-18 inches of snow tonight or tomorrow .

Now I have cabin fever already.
Ready for spring, mushrooms, garden, sassafras tea etc.

So are you in the same boat I'm in or still hunting?

Could Al Gore be right?
The Monarch butterflys were going South in the latter part of July normally first two weeks of Sept. in this area.
Robins and swallows pulled out by the middle of August. Two to three weeks early.
Have a friend that has two ferrets he tells me this year they had their winter fur on a month early.
Anyone else up North notice these oddities ? :huh:

If we used your logic saying there's no corn on the ground then geese would never eat grain but guess what, brand new combines still leave corn on the ground. My uncle got a brand new case and we still had corn on the ground. The geese were out today and I saw what I saw. The problem was 30 decoys is pretty small to be pulling trafficking geese and what geese did work wouldn't commit with the hide I had.
User avatar
luie b
hunter
 
Posts: 1027
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:42 pm
Location: Western Illinois (Hancock County)

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:30 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Geese and ducks still here. Only problem. On state property can't hunt them . 1000mallards in one corn fields 1000 + geese in another. :mad:

I hate geese


I'm confused, why can't you hunt on state property?
This is the Internet. This is serious.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 15211
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:39 pm

Ohio hates geese
User avatar
OGblackcloud
hunter
 
Posts: 10422
Joined: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:38 pm

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 pm

Botiz630 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Geese and ducks still here. Only problem. On state property can't hunt them . 1000mallards in one corn fields 1000 + geese in another. :mad:

I hate geese


I'm confused, why can't you hunt on state property?

Prison property.honor farm in grafton

I hate geese
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 9592
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:22 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Ohio hates geese

Yes I do OG

I hate geese
“The Blue Book says we've got to go out and it doesn't say a damn thing about having to come back.” -
Captain Patrick Etheridge, USLSS
User avatar
OHIODUCKA5
hunter
 
Posts: 9592
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:46 pm
Location: Ohio

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby Botiz630 » Sat Dec 14, 2013 9:35 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:Geese and ducks still here. Only problem. On state property can't hunt them . 1000mallards in one corn fields 1000 + geese in another. :mad:

I hate geese


I'm confused, why can't you hunt on state property?

Prison property.honor farm in grafton

I hate geese


Oh when you said state property I thought you meant like land.
This is the Internet. This is serious.
User avatar
Botiz630
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 15211
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2007 11:24 pm

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby ScaupHunter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 pm

We're just warming up here. Birds finally came in heavy two weeks ago. We will have great shooting until the end of January.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
User avatar
ScaupHunter
hunter
 
Posts: 5949
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2012 5:57 am

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:40 pm

ScaupHunter wrote:We're just warming up here. Birds finally came in heavy two weeks ago. We will have great shooting until the end of January.

:ditto:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
User avatar
shoveler_shooter
hunter
 
Posts: 2854
Joined: Sun Nov 19, 2006 8:27 pm
Location: Stillwater, OK

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby 'JaminC'mon » Sun Dec 15, 2013 4:32 pm

charlie beard wrote:
luie b wrote:Get out there into the fields there's still ducks around! Saw 10,000 geese this afternoon too.


Luie
I was in Alexandria, Wayland Mo. the wifes home place farm.
Then to Keokuk, and on to Carthage.
Never seen any birds in the fields.

There is no corn in the fields up here the pickers now days at $400.000 each and more with the head don't leave any corn.


I agree with Charlie. The farmer that harvests corn by me has a very efficient John Deere. I walked all over the 200 acre field behind my house and only found partial/whole cobs on the corners of the field where the head knocks the rows over. On the straightaways there were hardly any loose kernels. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 bushels worth of corn total in that entire field. Sucks for me because he harvests all the fields in the area I can hunt, even for other farmers. Then to top it off, the fields get plowed under within a week of being harvested so getting hidden is nearly impossible.
'JaminC'mon
hunter
 
Posts: 30
Joined: Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:17 am

Re: Our season here was short how about some of you?

Postby possumfoot » Sun Dec 15, 2013 5:40 pm

'JaminC'mon wrote:
charlie beard wrote:
luie b wrote:Get out there into the fields there's still ducks around! Saw 10,000 geese this afternoon too.


Luie
I was in Alexandria, Wayland Mo. the wifes home place farm.
Then to Keokuk, and on to Carthage.
Never seen any birds in the fields.

There is no corn in the fields up here the pickers now days at $400.000 each and more with the head don't leave any corn.


I agree with Charlie. The farmer that harvests corn by me has a very efficient John Deere. I walked all over the 200 acre field behind my house and only found partial/whole cobs on the corners of the field where the head knocks the rows over. On the straightaways there were hardly any loose kernels. You'd be hard pressed to find 5 bushels worth of corn total in that entire field. Sucks for me because he harvests all the fields in the area I can hunt, even for other farmers. Then to top it off, the fields get plowed under within a week of being harvested so getting hidden is nearly impossible.



lol.. that is crazy talk.. just look at a field that has time to sprout back after harvest.. on a side not, its not too bad here.. even killing some canadas.. big ones and little ones.
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.


pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
User avatar
possumfoot
hunter
 
Posts: 5074
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2005 5:13 pm
Location: making sesbania my bitch


Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Locked&Loaded, OGblackcloud, sprigs4days, THAXTER, whisperin' duck and 26 guests