Question for guys that lease

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Re: Question for guys that lease

Postby jkm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:42 pm

I actually have not called " us all out" There seems to be some really good people on here that like to cut up and have fun which is cool. I have thick skin and understand that the new posters catch crap for a while. I asked for some feedback and when I stated more detail about thisituation I was told to "suck it" It may just be me, but I think there is a HOMO thread on here somewhere maybe woody should move it over there.
OGblackcloud wrote:Starts a nice thread about his kid then comes over here and calls us all out. :no:
jkm
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:43 pm

"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:47 pm

jkm wrote:I actually have not called " us all out" There seems to be some really good people on here that like to cut up and have fun which is cool. I have thick skin and understand that the new posters catch crap for a while. I asked for some feedback and when I stated more detail about thisituation I was told to "suck it" It may just be me, but I think there is a HOMO thread on here somewhere maybe woody should move it over there.
OGblackcloud wrote:Starts a nice thread about his kid then comes over here and calls us all out. :no:

No, I won't go on an online date with you weirdo!
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:51 pm

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:
jkm wrote:I actually have not called " us all out" There seems to be some really good people on here that like to cut up and have fun which is cool. I have thick skin and understand that the new posters catch crap for a while. I asked for some feedback and when I stated more detail about thisituation I was told to "suck it" It may just be me, but I think there is a HOMO thread on here somewhere maybe woody should move it over there.

No, I won't go on an online date with you weirdo!

I think he has a man crush on you woody

I H8 geese

#1 Duck Dynasty fan
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:55 pm

cluckmeister wrote:
jkm wrote:
cluckmeister wrote:if I spent 10,000 year, id buy my own place.

That sounds like a great idea, but in reality its not near as easy or as cheap as you would think. There are alot of variables to consider other than cost.

Its not cheap that's a fact, BUT, its an investment that if youre not to old is going to be there for you verses the possibility of SS going belly up in 25 years/.

My guess is, that someone who needs to work 2 jobs and is spending 10gs on a duck club is not bright enough to figure out long term benefits of investment in a property over rent.
There are only two types of people in the world, those who love duck hunting and those who never have duck hunted.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby sampsonhuntin » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:45 pm

If you have the money I say spend it, who cares how he spend his money. Unless you are his wife or accountant.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:07 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:If you have the money I say spend it, who cares how he spend his money. Unless you are his wife or accountant.

I'm with this guy. Ya'll know not every duck hunter is poor right?
Frylock
hunter

Postby Frylock » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:14 pm

I bet you could find an out of work carpenter you could hire to repair blinds as needed. Or, he could just visit them in rotation and tend to them that way. Or, throw the guys out that trash the blinds.
Frylock
hunter

Postby jkm » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:37 pm

This may be the best advice I have heard yet. Keep it coming.
Frylock wrote:I bet you could find an out of work carpenter you could hire to repair blinds as needed. Or, he could just visit them in rotation and tend to them that way. Or, throw the guys out that trash the blinds.
jkm
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:38 am

sampsonhuntin wrote:If you have the money I say spend it, who cares how he spend his money. Unless you are his wife or accountant.

He asked for opinions genius.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:17 am

Wrong side of the bed for the last few days Woody?
The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:31 am

jaysweet3 wrote:Wrong side of the bed for the last few days Woody?

No, I'm in a good mood... he asked and I said I think that is to much for a duck "lease" (Club).

Just messing with the guy, I have no idea what a reasonable amount for a duck club is, never been in one... I prefer scouting and asking for permission.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby 18javelin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 9:54 am

10k a year im with woody if it came to that for myself I would quit... I prefer to ask permission and scout hard... Many may think my numbers are low on the kill side of things but I assure you... come to my area and I kill as many or more birds than 80% of the guys around and almost all on public waters.

I Like the feeling of that too.. I would feel guilty in my position spending 10K every year for a place to rest my ass and blow a duck call unless that place was called home and it was mine to hunt the way I want when I want....
Underradar wrote:Well, its sad really. One day he's happily posting pics of road killed coyotes he posed as if he shot them, the next, he's stomped down the shower drain like a soft turd.
18javelin
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 10:00 am

I should say, I have looked into a lease recently. Around me it is about $4 acre for a lease don't know about a club. It didn't sound like he has access to 2500 acres to hunt. So, for me that is to much.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:09 am

jkm wrote:

That sounds like a great idea, but in reality its not near as easy or as cheap as you would think. There are alot of variables to consider other than cost.

I'd really look into this.

If you are sure you can spend the $10k/yr for many years to come, you could afford somewhere in the neighborhood of $100k worth of land and have enough money left to build some nice blinds and a simple place to sleep. Those variables go both ways. The biggest being, you can make the place to suit you. I plan to do something like that in the near future. Although, it may be tough because of the high cost of land around here or the long drive to get to something more affordable. I haven't put serious thought into it yet, but I plan to this year or next.

WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I honestly find the "lease" (sounds like a duck club in this case) type of guy to be as much of a hunter as a PETA member. You're lazy and you don't want to do any work yourself
You are only lazy if you choose to be. There are a lot of pluses and minuses to having a club and they cover the entire spectrum from just leasing land up to the high end flooded fields and all of that.

Because I'm a member of a club, I hunt an extra 20 days per year. It allows me to hunt ducks and deer on weekdays before work, which I could not do on public land around here and on the weekend I don't have to deal with all the hassles of trying to find a public spot or the big effort to get to one on public water that is decent.

The down side is exactly what he talks about is that the blinds get beat up, people manipulate them to suit their preferences, etc. and the fraction of people willing to work is low because of the tragedy of the commons. A few of us put in 100's of hours to create a goose field out of buckthorns and cottonwoods and when we got it done, two guys that didn't put in a minute showed up like they owned the place. We added a mandatory additional 16 hours/yr work if you want to hunt the goose blinds, which got us enough free labor to put in a second when everyone saw how well the first worked. If only geese got up early, I'd be out there almost every day before work.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:21 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
WoodyWhiffingMG wrote:I honestly find the "lease" (sounds like a duck club in this case) type of guy to be as much of a hunter as a PETA member. You're lazy and you don't want to do any work yourself
You are only lazy if you choose to be. There are a lot of pluses and minuses to having a club and they cover the entire spectrum from just leasing land up to the high end flooded fields and all of that.

Because I'm a member of a club, I hunt an extra 20 days per year. It allows me to hunt ducks and deer on weekdays before work, which I could not do on public land around here and on the weekend I don't have to deal with all the hassles of trying to find a public spot or the big effort to get to one on public water that is decent.

The down side is exactly what he talks about is that the blinds get beat up, people manipulate them to suit their preferences, etc. and the fraction of people willing to work is low because of the tragedy of the commons. A few of us put in 100's of hours to create a goose field out of buckthorns and cottonwoods and when we got it done, two guys that didn't put in a minute showed up like they owned the place. We added a mandatory additional 16 hours/yr work if you want to hunt the goose blinds, which got us enough free labor to put in a second when everyone saw how well the first worked. If only geese got up early, I'd be out there almost every day before work.

Spinner, I have nothing against duck clubs, I was just messing with guy. Duck hunting is for fun and if that is what you enjoy, then do it. I don't care. :beer:
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:31 am

In all aspects of life, guys who lease are superior to guys who have to hunt public.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:35 am

Same goes for those that can afford a lawyer over a public defender
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:36 am

SpinnerMan wrote:
jkm wrote:

I'd really look into this.

If you are sure you can spend the $10k/yr for many years to come, you could afford somewhere in the neighborhood of $100k worth of land and have enough money left to build some nice blinds and a simple place to sleep. Those variables go both ways. The biggest being, you can make the place to suit you. I plan to do something like that in the near future. Although, it may be tough because of the high cost of land around here or the long drive to get to something more affordable. I haven't put serious thought into it yet, but I plan to this year or next.

We have a rule at our club no work no draw.
Which means we draw for blinds each morning.
The fellows that didn't work gets what is left over.
If all the blinds are taken then they are chit out of luck.

We do have exceptions for guys that are older and not physically capable of doing the work.
charlie beard
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:37 am

Agreed.
It's somewhat entertaining considering the number of posts I've seen over the years about how frustrated people get with all the hooligans on public land and how desperately they'd like to have some private land access, but we criticize someone who pays into a lease to escape some of the public land circus? The OP wasnt asking for financial advice, he wanted to know if there were any helpful comparisons anyone was willing to share. Call me lazy or foolish, but you can bet your azz I'm going to one day buy into a private club or lease of some sort.

As for the blind dilemma, I like Hop's suggestion.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby sampsonhuntin » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:57 am

10 grand is great for hunting LA or AR in my opinion. Look up Neupamba club in NC, buy in is like 100,000 and who knows how much per year. Word at the boat dock is it is worth it though. Limits everyday and lodge is a mansion.
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:05 pm

sampsonhuntin wrote:10 grand is great for hunting LA or AR in my opinion. Look up Neupamba club in NC, buy in is like 100,000 and who knows how much per year. Word at the boat dock is it is worth it though. Limits everyday and lodge is a mansion.

There are a handful of clubs here in UT that are in the neighborhood of $30,000-$40,000 to join and then about $5,000 in annual dues. The thing I like about them (aside from prime locations that hold thousands of birds) is most of the clubs here only allow hunting 3 days per week and they rotate which areas get hunted each week so some spots sit untouched for days, so the pressure is very light. But yes, it is expensive.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby Greenheadindy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:10 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:

Agreed.
It's somewhat entertaining considering the number of posts I've seen over the years about how frustrated people get with all the hooligans on public land and how desperately they'd like to have some private land access, but we criticize someone who pays into a lease to escape some of the public land circus? The OP wasnt asking for financial advice, he wanted to know if there were any helpful comparisons anyone was willing to share. Call me lazy or foolish, but you can bet your azz I'm going to one day buy into a private club or lease of some sort.

As for the blind dilemma, I like Hop's suggestion.

Agreed. I think people are missing the fact that he's leasing a bunch of pits, not just one. I think he said 1700 per head is the actual cost. I can say for certain I would be in for that much if the option existed where I'm at. I spend way more in gas, hotels, and other crap trying to find birds on public land. I'd easily pay 1700 to have a spot to hunt on the reg without the bs of draws, death marches, and pre-dawn boat rides in the fog. Don't get me wrong, I'd still do that stuff occasionally, as I've found some nice public holes, but I'll also be in a lease or club someday. Why else do we chase the almighty dollar if we aren't going to enjoy them?
Nice marmot
Greenheadindy
hunter

Postby WoodyWhiffingMG » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:14 pm

Locked&Loaded wrote:
sampsonhuntin wrote:10 grand is great for hunting LA or AR in my opinion. Look up Neupamba club in NC, buy in is like 100,000 and who knows how much per year. Word at the boat dock is it is worth it though. Limits everyday and lodge is a mansion.

There are a handful of clubs here in UT that are in the neighborhood of $30,000-$40,000 to join and then about $5,000 in annual dues. The thing I like about them (aside from prime locations that hold thousands of birds) is most of the clubs here only allow hunting 3 days per week and they rotate which areas get hunted each week so some spots sit untouched for days, so the pressure is very light. But yes, it is expensive.

If you bought into a club at that price at 40 and hunted until you are 75, you would spend 215K. For that price you could buy about 30 acres of land put in dikes and a well. Best of all it would be yours, so pressure would be as light as you want. Plus it is an investment.
WoodyWhiffingMG
hunter

Postby charlie beard » Tue Dec 17, 2013 12:20 pm

Underradar wrote:In all aspects of life, guys who lease are superior to guys who have to hunt public.

I don't agree.
Our club is a working mans club.
We have a 4,000 SQ. foot club house, Kitchen. two restrooms, 24x32 storage building, Boats, decoys, blind, propane and stoves furnished all for $300.00 per year.
A tad more than 82 cents per day.
I'm sure the guys scouting for a place to hunt burn more than 82 cents in gas a day.

You can work at Burger King and still afford to belong in our club.
We have control of 640 acres which includes deer and turkey hunting.
We own 240 acres of that.

Now for some reading this that would like to join.
We have one opening this year and 38 applications so far.
charlie beard
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole