Clother dryer heater

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Clother dryer heater

Postby grunt_doc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:04 pm

I have heard this idea kicked around over the years, but haven't actually tried it or know anyone who has. In theory it should work but I'd love to get some other opinions....especially from any HVAC guys.

Winters aren't getting any warmer, and heating oil isn't getting any cheaper. Nothing new....
We all vent nice, warm, humidified air from our clothes dryers right out of the house. Would it be insane to just add a lint trap type box to the end of the dryer exhaust hose and let it vent right into the basement? Like I said, in theory, it seems like a good idea. I'm sure though, there are variables that I'm not thinking of. Any thoughts?

Not looking to replace oil heat, just save a buck or 2. We already heat the main level with a wood stove. Kids rooms/playroom/laundry room on the lower part of the split level heated by oil/water
Texting is just a polite way to communicate whilst taking a dump.
grunt_doc
hunter

Re: Clother dryer heater

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:12 pm

grunt_doc wrote:I have heard this idea kicked around over the years, but haven't actually tried it or know anyone who has. In theory it should work but I'd love to get some other opinions....especially from any HVAC guys.

Winters aren't getting any warmer, and heating oil isn't getting any cheaper. Nothing new....
We all vent nice, warm, humidified air from our clothes dryers right out of the house. Would it be insane to just add a lint trap type box to the end of the dryer exhaust hose and let it vent right into the basement? Like I said, in theory, it seems like a good idea. I'm sure though, there are variables that I'm not thinking of. Any thoughts?

Not looking to replace oil heat, just save a buck or 2. We already heat the main level with a wood stove. Kids rooms/playroom/laundry room on the lower part of the split level heated by oil/water

Hey grunt, where ya been? There are definitely boxes out there that do just what you say. They have a diverter so that in the summer you can send the air outside and during the winter keep it inside. They have a lint trap/filter that will require cleaning often. The only downside I know of is the humidity can cause problems like mold if it is excessive. Normally, I don't think it would be an issue.
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:16 pm

I've been around..... kinda. I was thinking about just rigging the whole contraption. Build a lint box and just keeping an eye on it.
grunt_doc
hunter

Postby Cujo1 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm

All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 6:21 pm

It works ok I had one .i broke the screen on it and it blew lint all over the basement

I H8 geese

#1 Duck Dynasty fan
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby grunt_doc » Tue Dec 17, 2013 7:12 am

The HH never disappoints. Thanks.
grunt_doc
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole