Need info on building duck habitat and levees

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Need info on building duck habitat and levees

Postby The Weasel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:32 pm

I purchased a 40 acre farm this past spring in north east Ohio in the waterfowl rich area of Lake Erie, Pymatuning Lake, Mosquito Creek Lake and Shenango River/Lake. I live across the border in western PA and have had a lot of success hunting this area over the years. The land is basically flat and holds water in the low spots. I regularly jump ducks from tiny puddles around the property after a rain. I am surrounded by ag fields for miles of mostly corn and soybeans including 15 acres of my fields. I manage the wood lots and food plots for deer and turkey and I have 5 acres on the north end of the property that was clear cut about 10 years ago. That area would be easily cleared with a dozer and set up for some levees that can be planted and flooded.

I would appreciate any info, links and books you may know that can help me on the subject. I understand this will take a good deal of time, sweat and money but I'm in no hurry and I enjoy habitat work on this new farm as much as I did on my old place. Thanks,

-Brian
The Weasel
hunter

Re: Need info on building duck habitat and levees

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 3:38 pm

The Weasel wrote:I purchased a 40 acre farm this past spring in north east Ohio in the waterfowl rich area of Lake Erie, Pymatuning Lake, Mosquito Creek Lake and Shenango River/Lake. I live across the border in western PA and have had a lot of success hunting this area over the years. The land is basically flat and holds water in the low spots. I regularly jump ducks from tiny puddles around the property after a rain. I am surrounded by ag fields for miles of mostly corn and soybeans including 15 acres of my fields. I manage the wood lots and food plots for deer and turkey and I have 5 acres on the north end of the property that was clear cut about 10 years ago. That area would be easily cleared with a dozer and set up for some levees that can be planted and flooded.

I would appreciate any info, links and books you may know that can help me on the subject. I understand this will take a good deal of time, sweat and money but I'm in no hurry and I enjoy habitat work on this new farm as much as I did on my old place. Thanks,

-Brian

I would be more than happy to come look at the property for you. I'd have no idea on how to build a duck habitat though.
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill

fadetoblack188 wrote:forget i asked.. mods please delete.. the scum bags on this site are overwhelming.
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole