New Duck hole ?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

New Duck hole ?

Postby Quak addict » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:55 pm

hey

Just checked out a new spot. For the upcoming season
its mostly flooded timber and alot of shurbs.
but i dont know if there are ducks in there. Let me tell you it looks so good i might even roost in it :toofunny: It dont look like it has any food supply there . What should i do to get some? What should i plant and when should i plant it? i live in the eastern part of North Carolina. Give me step-by-step details. please

Thanks alot :thumbsup:
Quak addict
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Sat Feb 05, 2005 10:00 pm

:umm: Your Answers lies here

http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/viewtopic.php?t=3424

To find were to buy the seeds, check with your local Feed and seed store, they should be able to give you a good Deal or point you to were you can get a good deal! :thumbsup:
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Feb 06, 2005 1:28 pm

Plant?! Just sow some yellow "acorns" soaked in cane syrup, then you will have a pile o'ducks! :toofunny: Just kidding, try some japanese millet or if you can drain it and let the natural vegetation grow up from seeds that have sunk to the bottom of the hole. Good luck!
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Quak addict » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:27 pm

hey

i think a beaver has made a dam and thats why it is flooded back there if i drain it do you think it will flood next season?

I can hear water running. sure it is a beaver dam

Thanks
Quak addict
hunter

Re: New Duck hole ?

Postby Woodywoodduck » Sun Feb 06, 2005 6:49 pm

Quak addict wrote:hey
Give me step-by-step details. please

Ok, here goes Step by Step.

Step 1. Decide what you want to plant....Millet, Milo, Wild Rice, Smart Weed, Duck Potatoe, Duck Weed, Chufa.

Step 2. go to your local Feed and Seed Store and ask them if they can get these seeds for you, (Exclude the Duck weed, That would have to be Skimmed with a net and transplanted) and give you a good deal on them. Most Feed and Seed Stores will work with you and find what you want to keep you from sending out for seeds and also to make a buck :thumbsup:

Step 3. LEAVE the Beaver Dam as it is, Do Not tear it down!

Step 4. Once you decide on what you want to plant and have gotten the Seeds, Tell us what you bought and we can tell you how to plant what you bought.

Step 5. Are we missing Something?? Are we Not Answering your Questions for you, the way you want them answered? Reason I ask, this is thread #3 were you have asked what to plant and Myself and another Moderator gave you good things to plant along with a few other Members!

Are we missing something here?
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby Quak addict » Sun Feb 06, 2005 7:46 pm

hey

Oh no you are anwsering just fine , Iam just slow lol and this is a new duck spot i found and i dont know what to do. I will let ya know which seeds i buy.

Thanks for everything.
Quak addict
hunter

Postby surf_ox » Mon Feb 07, 2005 10:00 am

step 6....if a million ducks show up on opening day....get on this site and post GPS coordinates....we'll meet you there to help you take care of the pests that will eat all of your plants that you worked so hard to get growing all summer hehehe :laughing:
Is a frustrated hunter swinging a canoe paddle after sunset at a fall teal breaking any laws?
surf_ox
hunter

Postby gahunter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:09 pm

If there is a good beaver population, they will dam it back up. Just knock a big enough hole to drain most of the water during early summer. The natural vegetation and forage will flourish and the beavers will have it dammed back up by hunting season. You can also sweeten it up with millet or rice in the spots with bare soil/mud. Trust me, the only problem might be if they dam it up before anything gets a chance to grow. If that is the case bust it again. Good Luck :umm:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:13 pm

You could always plug it yourself if the beaver moved out.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby Quak addict » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:25 pm

hey

How do i plug it myself.

I went down to the edge of the spot and i can hear water running does anybody no what this is?

thanks
Quak addict
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:29 pm

You could use sand bags or use a bunch of mud or something.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole