Your other hobbies

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:18 am

I know it doesn't compare to remote control cars and picking up heavy things.....but..... :sarcmark:
Attachments
2-3[1].jpg
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side


Re: Your other hobbies

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:33 am

tmclaimerFL wrote:Cant shoot carp down here. Ya bowfin (mudfish). I wish we could shoot carp down here, but they arent a wild fish. See a lot in retention ponds. Mostly grass carp from what I know.

Grass carp are a major nuisance up here in some places. There are so many they clean out all the water plants. I've seen them sticking there heads out of water to try to get to grass because there is nothing left in the water. Common carp are a huge problem in a lot of places. They stir up so much muck that they can screw up water clarity badly. I'm surprised they don't let you shoot them. They are a terrible thing under the right conditions.

The only grass carp you can buy now are sterile (triploid). People still stock them in hopes of controlling weeds with them as opposed to chemicals, but it's nearly impossible to get the right balance and if you overstock, they clean everything out and it's tough to get them back under control. They also fight like crazy even with an arrow through them and they can get big.

This guy jumped twice and drug me all over the place before I got him in the boat.
Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15808
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:31 am

Can you eat them? Looks like a fatter, ugly, striped bass
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:42 am

Eat them?!? Hell, I'm a little disturbed he's touching them!
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Slack Tide » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:03 am

jehler wrote:Eat them?!? Hell, I'm a little disturbed he's touching them!

That's what I was thinking....eeeeesh..
Somehow fish that are caught in cold, salt water just seem better.
"I've been left for dead before but I'll still fight on, don't wait up, leave the light on, I'll be home soon"
Chris Smither
User avatar
Slack Tide
hunter
 
Posts: 4929
Joined: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:06 pm
Location: On the northeast corner of the southwest side

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 11:55 am

Slack Tide wrote:Can you eat them? Looks like a fatter, ugly, striped bass

Small grass carp are good. White flaky meat. They are fairly bony, but the bones are pretty big, so they aren't a big hassle to pick out. I have a buddy that goes out and specifically targets them to eat. I'd much rather have a walleye or even catfish, but it's not something you have to try and hide the flavor to eat.

Common carp on the other hand, you know, old sucker lips, are just terrible. I've tried a few things and have given up. While they look similar on the outside, the meat is wildly different.

However, that big one tasted terrible.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15808
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby charlie beard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 12:37 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Can you eat them? Looks like a fatter, ugly, striped bass

Small grass carp are good. White flaky meat. They are fairly bony, but the bones are pretty big, so they aren't a big hassle to pick out. I have a buddy that goes out and specifically targets them to eat. I'd much rather have a walleye or even catfish, but it's not something you have to try and hide the flavor to eat.

Common carp on the other hand, you know, old sucker lips, are just terrible. I've tried a few things and have given up. While they look similar on the outside, the meat is wildly different.

However, that big one tasted terrible.


I have a commercial fishing license and fish the Old Mighty Miss. hoop nets and trammel.
Carp that big have too much fat.
Five-six pounds are good.
Fillet them and then score them to cut up the bones.

Buffalo are the best all white meat and fetch the best price at the fish market compared to carp.
For some that don't know they have a scoring machine. Guess you can Google it.
I had one until it went thru the 2008 flood.
Forgot to put it up.

Bowfin we call them dog fish are also good out of cold water if dressed shortly after catching.
Have never tried Gar.
Do know the fish market ships them to Chicago once a week.
Last edited by charlie beard on Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:12 pm

RShockley wrote:I race 10th scale electric and 8th scale nitro rc cars. I think I might even spend more money in this hobby then duck hunting.

Image

Image


Yup, RC is extrmely expensive! I recently got rid of most of my rigs (mostly scale type rigs and crawlers) but I'm considering getting an Axial exo buggy.
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
User avatar
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 3222
Joined: Mon Jul 26, 2010 2:32 pm
Location: sittin high in the Missouri skies!

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby charlie beard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:53 pm

I use to pull super stock in the middle 60s.
International 1206 and 1256.

Then the big boys showed up with twin Turbo chargers.
Like anything else it all boils down to $$$.

Now just watch.
This one on the video twin Turbo chargers.
More than likely $60.000 in the engine.

"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby jehler » Sun Dec 29, 2013 1:57 pm

charlie beard wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
Slack Tide wrote:Can you eat them? Looks like a fatter, ugly, striped bass

Small grass carp are good. White flaky meat. They are fairly bony, but the bones are pretty big, so they aren't a big hassle to pick out. I have a buddy that goes out and specifically targets them to eat. I'd much rather have a walleye or even catfish, but it's not something you have to try and hide the flavor to eat.

Common carp on the other hand, you know, old sucker lips, are just terrible. I've tried a few things and have given up. While they look similar on the outside, the meat is wildly different.

However, that big one tasted terrible.


I have a commercial fishing license and fish the Old Mighty Miss. hoop nets and trammel.
Carp that big have too much fat.
Five-six pounds are good.
Fillet them and then score them to cut up the bones.
Buffalo are the best all white meat and fetch the best price at the fish market compared to carp.
For some that don't know they have a scoring machine. Guess you can Google it.
I had one until it went thru the 2008 flood.
Forgot to put it up.
Bowfin we call them dog fish are also good out of cold water if dressed shortly after catching.
Have never tried Gar.
Do know the fish market ships them to Chicago once a week.

Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
User avatar
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy
 
Posts: 17110
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2006 2:52 pm
Location: Traverse City, MI

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 2:44 pm

jehler wrote:Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor

Gar are my wife's favorite. Like you said, you need snips to clean them, but you get a long boneless tenderloin that has the texture (not flavor) more like shrimp than fish.

I know a spot where they stack up in cool clean water and I can shoot as many as I care to clean.

That's about all I have the patience to clean.

Image
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15808
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:20 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:I fish and play slowpitch softball. Hoping to do a lot more fly fishing this spring and summer. Occasionally I'll make a duck call.

If you are looking to fly fish salt water, I know a guy...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56144
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:24 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
jehler wrote:Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor

Gar are my wife's favorite. Like you said, you need snips to clean them, but you get a long boneless tenderloin that has the texture (not flavor) more like shrimp than fish.

I know a spot where they stack up in cool clean water and I can shoot as many as I care to clean.

That's about all I have the patience to clean.

Image

Alligator gar taste a lot better than long nose gar IMO....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56144
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby tmclaimerFL » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:34 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
jehler wrote:Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor

Gar are my wife's favorite. Like you said, you need snips to clean them, but you get a long boneless tenderloin that has the texture (not flavor) more like shrimp than fish.

I know a spot where they stack up in cool clean water and I can shoot as many as I care to clean.

That's about all I have the patience to clean.

Image

Alligator gar taste a lot better than long nose gar IMO....

We can't keep gator gar down here.


Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.
Only trust those who like big butts, for they cannot lie.
WTN10 wrote:The moral of the story is this: don't cut cabbage when your dog is in heat.


Botiz630 wrote:Finally, I can compensate for my tiny wiener without breaking the bank.
User avatar
tmclaimerFL
hunter
 
Posts: 5589
Joined: Thu Jun 21, 2012 10:29 am
Location: Florida's Waters

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:44 pm

tmclaimerFL wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:
SpinnerMan wrote:
jehler wrote:Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor

Gar are my wife's favorite. Like you said, you need snips to clean them, but you get a long boneless tenderloin that has the texture (not flavor) more like shrimp than fish.

I know a spot where they stack up in cool clean water and I can shoot as many as I care to clean.

That's about all I have the patience to clean.

Image

Alligator gar taste a lot better than long nose gar IMO....

We can't keep gator gar down here.


Sent from my iPhone3 using Anti-Botiz software.

They fish them here, but it's a PITA when they fish the duck ponds you are trying to hunt.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56144
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby charlie beard » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:50 pm

SpinnerMan wrote:
jehler wrote:Gar is outstanding, it takes metal snips to skin one but the meat is somewhere between frog legs and catfish, wonderful flavor

Gar are my wife's favorite. Like you said, you need snips to clean them, but you get a long boneless tenderloin that has the texture (not flavor) more like shrimp than fish.

I know a spot where they stack up in cool clean water and I can shoot as many as I care to clean.

That's about all I have the patience to clean.

Image


Well I guess I'm going to have to try them next spring and summer.
They are a big pain in the rear in hoop nets.
They get there snout caught in the webbing and are a real pain to get out.
I would hate to say how many I have thrown back or on the bank for the coons.

Like they say you never get too old to learn.
No one eats them around here.
Yet the fish market wants them.

That in it's self should tell me something.

The big thing around here now money wise are Sturgeon $320.00 a pound for the eggs.
Everything goes to Russia and China caviar.
One large sturgeon can yield a pound of eggs.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter
 
Posts: 2235
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:13 am
Location: West Central IL.

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Indaswamp » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:52 pm

mudfish (dog fish, choupique) eggs are pricy too...
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56144
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby clampdaddy » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:53 pm

charlie beard wrote:I use to pull super stock in the middle 60s.
International 1206 and 1256.

Then the big boys showed up with twin Turbo chargers.
Like anything else it all boils down to $$$.

Now just watch.
This one on the video twin Turbo chargers.
More than likely $60.000 in the engine.

My dad used to pull a warmed over 5020 Deere. Not a superstock or anything, just warmed over enough to make 190 horses. I couldn't even afford to transport one of those brutes. I'll have to stick to my old two banger, Johnny poppers. :lol3:
User avatar
clampdaddy
hunter
 
Posts: 3594
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 9:23 pm
Location: Where spoonies go to die

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby SpinnerMan » Sun Dec 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Here's a pretty good how-to on cleaning gar.

http://illinoisbowfishing.info/index.php?topic=91.0

And do not soak gar like you may other fish. Rinse them quickly if you need to, but that's it.
A politician thinks of the next election; a statesman of the next generation. A politician looks for the success of his party; a statesman for that of the country. The statesman wished to steer, while the politician was satisfied to drift.
User avatar
SpinnerMan
hunter
 
Posts: 15808
Joined: Mon Dec 12, 2005 11:24 am
Location: Joliet, IL

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Dec 31, 2013 3:09 pm

The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Image
User avatar
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 56144
Joined: Thu Aug 07, 2008 8:40 pm
Location: South Louisiana

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:56 pm

WTN10 wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388269162.940756.jpg

You watch your wife lift weights? :huh:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:00 pm

t_baker wrote:
Botiz630 wrote:-drawing conclusions

Really? Would have never guessed that. Post some of it.

fify
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby rank duck » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:00 pm

I'm thinking of taking up cussing.
'Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rapidly promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of sh!t by the clean end.'
User avatar
rank duck
hunter
 
Posts: 1864
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:38 am
Location: Western Kentucky

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby Papachessie » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:08 pm

vincentpa wrote:
Papachessie wrote:
P0002254.JPG
DSC00723 Para. bass.jpg
Duck - Green.jpg
kelly brook and friend.jpg
:biggrin:


You've just ruined my entire image of you. I've always pictured you as some skinny old guy with veins popping out of his forearms with a hacking cough that doesn't go away.

Most of these big 'ol southern farm boys on here would say I was an old skinny guy. :lol3:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
User avatar
Papachessie
hunter
 
Posts: 4295
Joined: Thu Oct 08, 2009 12:05 pm
Location: Northern Indiana NOT Notre Dame

Re: Your other hobbies

Postby WTN10 » Tue Dec 31, 2013 6:16 pm

Papachessie wrote:
WTN10 wrote:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388269162.940756.jpg

You watch your wife lift weights? :huh:


She can snap your scrawny ass in two.
2014 Season Totals:
Mallards: 243
Redheads: 114
Woodducks: 119
Grebes: 36
Blue Geese: 134
Snow Geese: 178
Hawks: 4
User avatar
WTN10
hunter
 
Posts: 14016
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:02 pm
Location: Western Tunisia

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: possumfoot and 24 guests