ATV Side by Side (SXS)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

ATV Side by Side (SXS)

Postby AR Dave » Wed Dec 25, 2013 7:53 pm

There is no other ATV, worth driving, than the one you drive which is the best ever. LOL

Top SXS:
Polaris Ranger
Artic Cat
Yamaha Viking
Honda Pioneer 2014
John Deere Gator
Kawasaki Teryx
Last edited by AR Dave on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:28 am, edited 4 times in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Re: ATV Side by Side

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Dec 25, 2013 8:27 pm

I'm looking forward to trying out the Honda Pioneer, just because it's a honda. I have the ranger 400 and love it, but my dad bought the ranger 570 yesterday and I'm impressed with the difference in power between the 2. He was going to buy the new John Deere, but when he went to the dealership Monday he found out they were closed until after the New Year and he needed to spend the money before then. He came home with the 570 ranger and a honda foreman instead.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby LA.Call'emClose » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:01 pm

Rangers have been good for us
• I think we consider too much the good luck of the early bird and not enough the bad luck of the early worm.- Franklin D. Roosevelt
• Life's tough...It's even tougher if your stupid.- The Duke
LA.Call'emClose
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:19 am

You forgot the John Deere gator. Love my 825I. I've had a ranger hd, Rzr 900, used a diesel mule, and electric ranger. Gator beats them all IMO.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:06 am

Well I didn't forget John Deere, but now that you spoke out I went and looked at em. Looks like JD wants to get serious about it as well. Honda & Yamaha they're all breathing down Polaris neck..
AR Dave
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:49 am

The only complaint I have with my Polaris is the positioning of the external oil tank. My wife and I took it out for a ride to a sandbar one night and I unknowingly put a stick through the plastic oil tank. It died a couple of hundred yards from the truck and I thought it was bad gas because it had sat up and was barely ridden for several months, so I restarted it. I made it about half way and it died again. I finally got it started a second time and made it just about to where I park it and it died again. This time it wouldn't start so I pushed it the last 20 feet or so. I thought I had trash in the carb, so I took my wife home and my son and I came back to remove the carb so I could bring it home to clean it. While I was removing the carb, he kept insisting that I check the oil so I gave in and checked it. I was shocked when it was bone dry and I was scared I'd left the drain plug loose when I changed the oil a couple of weeks prior. I crawled under it and found where a stick had punctured the oil pan. It cost me about $1700 to have the piston and valves (I think) replaced. I can't really blame Polaris though since I was the one that ran over the sticks, but I still think their should have been some kind of protection around the oil tank.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby charlie beard » Thu Dec 26, 2013 5:24 am

I have a gator and Honda mini truck.
Like the truck, cab, heater, air, full time four wheel drive.
Draw back these are not for a big person.
Have a friend six two 320lbs. took some doing for him to get into it.
I thought we were going need a can opener to get his big ass out.
"If you put the Federal Government in charge of the Sahara desert,
in 5 years there'd be a shortage of sand"
charlie beard
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:12 am

AR Dave wrote:Well I didn't forget John Deere, but now that you spoke out I went and looked at em. Looks like JD wants to get serious about it as well. Honda & Yamaha they're all breathing down Polaris neck..

Go drive one and you'll be sold. I think they look tough but until I rode in it I was hesitant. It's not as peppy and spry as the ranger but it's got good power and is smooth, oh so smooth.
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby cannon » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:57 am

whisperin' duck wrote:
AR Dave wrote:Well I didn't forget John Deere, but now that you spoke out I went and looked at em. Looks like JD wants to get serious about it as well. Honda & Yamaha they're all breathing down Polaris neck..

Go drive one and you'll be sold. I think they look tough but until I rode in it I was hesitant. It's not as peppy and spry as the ranger but it's got good power and is smooth, oh so smooth.

See, now that's a fair review of your opinion on the matter. Bravo!

Guns, atv's, cars, etc. I hate it when folks say one is the titz because that's the one they own and all others suck.

I'll add my $.02: the ranger I use has some drawbacks. If water clears the floorboard, it gets in the belt housing and causes it to slip, and the CV boot clamps suck. If you drive on gravel much, you're gonna replace axles. I did not notice the superior ride of the Gator, but I did notice that it seemed to have about 1/3 less seating capacity than the ranger does. On the other hand, I suspect that the Gator requires less maintenance. Ultimately, which one is better probably comes down to your intended use and expectations for a particular model. As for the ATV vs UTV debate, anyone that tells you that a UTV will go anywhere a 4-wheeler will go either doesn't know how to drive a 4-wheeler or is a liar. Unfortunately, I can't carry 3 people, a dog, and 6 dozen dek's on a 4-wheeler.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:20 am

cannon wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

See, now that's a fair review of your opinion on the matter. Bravo!

Guns, atv's, cars, etc. I hate it when folks say one is the titz because that's the one they own and all others suck.

I'll add my $.02: the ranger I use has some drawbacks. If water clears the floorboard, it gets in the belt housing and causes it to slip, and the CV boot clamps suck. If you drive on gravel much, you're gonna replace axles. I did not notice the superior ride of the Gator, but I did notice that it seemed to have about 1/3 less seating capacity than the ranger does. On the other hand, I suspect that the Gator requires less maintenance. Ultimately, which one is better probably comes down to your intended use and expectations for a particular model. As for the ATV vs UTV debate, anyone that tells you that a UTV will go anywhere a 4-wheeler will go either doesn't know how to drive a 4-wheeler or is a liar. Unfortunately, I can't carry 3 people, a dog, and 6 dozen dek's on a 4-wheeler.

Did you ride in mine? I did almost cause a catastrophic failure getting all my stands gathered up. Evidently I hit a stick in just the right place and knocked the vent off the belt housing. Had I gotten in any water it would have filled the belt house up and been bad news. Another drawback to the gator, which I've mentioned before, is that the seat is narrow. 3 guys is TIGHT.
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Re: ATV Side by Side (SXS)

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 10:43 am

I expected to come back to a war on this thread, one reason I posted it in Honey Hole. LOL

I live, most of the time, with a bunch of ATV & Snowmobile Enthusiast in Alaska. They use, abuse, and replace regularly. Alaskan's upgrade to the best mods, put all the accesories on them, use them to function daily in the Bush.. Most have property, with cabins, miles from pavement.

Obviously Polaris has set the standard in SXS for many years, especially Alaska. Artic Cat has ran second behind Polaris. One coworker bought an Artic Cat 2 yrs ago, loved it, but upgraded to a $20,000 (inclosed cab, all the mods) Polaris 6 wheeler this year. These guys are always researching for the next best. Honda and Yamaha have suddenly risen on their check it out scale. Not the Big Red or Rhino, but the New Pioneer 700 - 4 and the New Viking.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:08 am

AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:09 am

AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:10 am

AR Dave
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:12 am

Last edited by AR Dave on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby Locked&Loaded » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:13 am

No mention of the kawi teryx? I've owned 2 rangers, a razr and driven a rhino and really like the teryx. I've never had any experience with the John Deere model.
Locked&Loaded
Magic Mike

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:21 am

Kawasaki Teryx
Last edited by AR Dave on Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:23 am

whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:34 am

I'm leaning towards more seating Duck Whisperer...
AR Dave
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:41 am

AR Dave wrote:I'm leaning towards more seating Duck Whisperer...

I wasn't
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:48 am

Wonder if JD sales a camo seat covers? :lol3:
AR Dave
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:53 am

AR Dave wrote:Wonder if JD sales a camo seat covers? :lol3:

I think they do but I couldn't buy jd without going green and yellow. The novelty of it, ya know?
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:56 am

Agreed - I'm a green & yellow tractor guy myself, although I have a Kubota too. Hey one thing I can say for certain - I hate Kubota SXS!
AR Dave
hunter

Postby TXducksanddeer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:57 am

You don't need camo. I've gotten along fine in a yellow volxwagon jeep type vehicle without doors or windows. A dune buggy we call it. I wish I had pics of it. Fun to drive but the darn thing is older than dirt. Use it for showing off the land, dove hunting, hog hunting, etc. seats 6. My suggestion is that you look for an old jeep and just tear out the doors if want to seat that many people.
TXducksanddeer
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:04 pm

We have a Kubota 900 on the farm. My dad and uncle beat it up pretty bad and it keeps going. It has been run into by tractors, run into stumps, and even drowned a couple of times. It has over 3000 hours, outside of changing oil and fixing damage, I have found the axles need to be replaced every thousand hours.
TCFarmer
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole