ATV Side by Side (SXS)

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: ATV Side by Side (SXS)

Postby mitchmc » Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:06 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:
mitchmc wrote:2011 polaris crew

What size though?

YOU GOT TO BUST UM IN THE LIPS!!
mitchmc
hunter

Postby biggar2000 » Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:10 pm

My two cents for a Crew UTV.
We are in Central Louisiana, don't go in rice fields or crazy bogs. We do have a old Cypress brake, Swamp we own. Road is decent going in to camp, we have had it graveled over the years. The roads or paths we have to the two boats with the mud motors different story. We have an old 90 something Kawasaki 2wd Mule and several Honda ATVs the Ranchers and 4trax can't kill them. I have an older 2006 Yamaha Rhino no room in it though. Usually haul my 76 year old Dad my 2 kids 13 each, their buddies, gear guns, blind bags etc. Any way Dad wanted a new Crew UTV. We bought a 4wd Crew Landmaster built here in LA.
Heck it has a Subaru engine with a 5 year warranty!!!! Got the top and windshield and it has a poly dump bed. Dad loves it! It wont set speed records but we put 6 of us on it in it whatever and guns and gear, and Dad rigged an old Limb trailer up to pull behind it, it goes through the mud we have had it for 3 months now. Best deal maybe $9,500 in it. Its green. Dad came out of Halliburton and has seen the Subaru industrial engines before, he was sold on the engine. We wont beat it up so it should last.
I looked at the Honda's awesome. Friend of mine has been a Honda mechanic for 25 years, they cant be beat.
biggar2000
Newb

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:23 pm

So we cruised down to the swamp just smelling the new and loving everyone being in one vehicle, actually 3 of us in the front seat, but it's tight. Found an inch of ice in our hole, the boys started trying to break it. Next thing they hear is a SxS diving off in the water (put it in 4WD Differential Lock) and churning that hole up. Water came up half way to the seat, but the air intake is seat level. It's a mudder!

After the hunt, I had to race it, at 45 mph, over to one of my buddies holes. Three hunters had left, so two of them were about to walk out a few dozen decoys, canoe, and all their gear. Threw bags of decoys in the bed, Canoe over the roll bars, gear in, them in the front, and out we went. LOL I'm fascinated with this thing. One note - it can climb a very steep bank.

Edit: 1/8/2014 - this machine is an ice breaking monster. 2 inch ice, 2 - 2.5 feet deep. My hunting partner who has 3 diff SxS was impressed today. Hard to believe I haven't stuck it yet - I'm trying. LOL

And very quiet.
Last edited by AR Dave on Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby no3topqb » Sat Jan 11, 2014 9:46 am

Don't have any pics of mine in the field, but here's mine...Image

Drove it thru 2 feet of water in a flooded bean field last year with no problems. My only complaints are the smaller bed and its louder in the cab than my father in laws ranger.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
no3topqb
hunter

Postby AR Dave » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:31 pm

Honda Pioneer 700-4 Test Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6R8f0PAbkI
AR Dave
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:09 am

AR Dave wrote:.
Honda Pioneer 700-4 Test Ride
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6R8f0PAbkI

Are you still liking it? How do you think it compares with the Polaris?
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Underradar » Sat Jan 25, 2014 2:00 pm

We have 3 Rangers on my lease. All 3 are broken. Mine has never made it thru a season without needing repair. It is 4 years old.

The new Honda Pioneers sling beaucoup mud into the bed. Design flaw, needs fender flares or something..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 3:26 pm

Underradar wrote:We have 3 Rangers on my lease. All 3 are broken. Mine has never made it thru a season without needing repair. It is 4 years old.

The new Honda Pioneers sling beaucoup mud into the bed. Design flaw, needs fender flares or something..

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I'm not planning to ride in the back, so I'm not too worried about that. If the ones in the back have a problem with it, they can buy their on and bring it the next time.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby AR Dave » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:51 pm

La Hunter I love the hell out of it so far! LOL - he is correct, when I'm 4 wheeling or getting it across a wet pasture, I pull my arm in a little. No problem, for me, after I figured it out. But I’ve been in hunting clothes and didn’t care. Will have to get back to you on this.

Probably not fair to compare it to the Ranger, at this point, because it just hasn’t been tested over time, like the Ranger. I’m counting on it being Honda Quality. People who haven’t had problems with Rangers, absolutely love them.

As for this Pioneer - I’ve really worked this machine in the water, mud, & breaking ice. I did break a piece of the front fender, above the tire, busting 3” ice. It will climb up and destroy the ice (26" Bighorn Maxxis Bi-directional). Wheel base is only 76 inches vs 113 for a 4 seat, Crew Cab Ranger. Not like sitting in a crew cab, but I didn't want the longer wheel base. Also 200 lbs lighter. Hasn’t stalled out while muffler was under water yet, thank goodness. It is Honda Quiet - buds are impressed when I drive up to the blind from behind. So far - just having a blast on it! Easy to clean - open the front doors spray it out. For the back - flip the dump bed, then open the side doors, then put the seats up. Everything is exposed and washes right up. In a couple of weeks - wife, I, and another couple, are going to try it out on trails in Ozark Mtns. See how it hauls 1,000 lbs - lol. The engine breaking comes in handy also. I’m over confident with it right now, cause it hasn’t come close to getting stuck. Didn’t get a wench - yet. Water was half way up the door, when suddenly the front dropped in a Beaver Run and stuck. Got a little anxious, but 4WD Diff Lock, Reverse, brought it right back out.

Last edited by AR Dave on Fri May 02, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 11:00 pm

AR Dave wrote:.
La Hunter I love the hell out of it so far! LOL - he is correct, when I'm 4 wheeling or getting it across a wet pasture, I pull my arm in a little. No problem, for me, after I figured it out. But I’ve been in hunting clothes and didn’t care. Will have to get back to you on this.

Probably not fair to compare it to the Ranger, at this point, because it just hasn’t been tested over time, like the Ranger. I’m counting on it being Honda Quality. People who haven’t had problems with Rangers, absolutely love them.

As for this Pioneer - I’ve really worked this machine in the water, mud, & breaking ice. I did break a piece of the front fender, above the tire, busting 3” ice. It will climb up and destroy the ice (28” Bighorn Maxxis Bi-directional). Wheel base is only 76 inches vs 113 for a 4 seat, Crew Cab Ranger. Not like sitting in a crew cab, but I didn't want the longer wheel base. Also 200 lbs lighter. Hasn’t stalled out while muffler was under water yet, thank goodness. It is Honda Quiet - buds are impressed when I drive up to the blind from behind. So far - just having a blast on it! Easy to clean - open the front doors spray it out. For the back - flip the dump bed, then open the side doors, then put the seats up. Everything is exposed and washes right up. In a couple of weeks - wife, I, and another couple, are going to try it out on trails in Ozark Mtns. See how it hauls 1,000 lbs - lol. The engine breaking comes in handy also. I’m over confident with it right now, cause it hasn’t come close to getting stuck. Didn’t get a wench - yet. Water was half way up the door, when suddenly the front dropped in a Beaver Run and stuck. Got a little anxious, but 4WD Diff Lock, Reverse, brought it right back out.

Let me know how it goes in the Ozark's. My Polaris hasn't been a bad machine, but I'd rather own a Honda. I've been thinking about trading the Polaris for the Pioneer or just buying it and having an extra SXS around.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby AR Dave » Sun Mar 09, 2014 4:45 pm

Didn't get to trail ride in the Mtn's yet - been too cold!
AR Dave
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:29 pm

For anybody looking at SxS's dont over look the new John Deere's! I love the 2013 825i my uncle has (who I work for) its a blast to drive and really preforms well! Much better than the 2005 850D (diesel) gator we had that was limited at 30mph. The new 825i with fuel injection and power steering does 45mph, soaks up the bumps better than a caddy, and still has plenty of power for towing. also very easy to add lights and stuff too, already prewired and pig tailed for them, as well as "open" spots in the dash for extra switches, We've got the dump bed and PIAA light kit on it. and these Maxxis Big horn 2.0's are a nice tire as well!

NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Thu Mar 20, 2014 8:49 pm

IMG_2266 - Copy.JPG

Bought the $60 fender to replace that hole behind tire. Did that busting 3" ice back in January.
Yep that's a bag of corn in the seat! ha ha
Last edited by AR Dave on Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:40 pm

2500hdon37s wrote:For anybody looking at SxS's dont over look the new John Deere's! I love the 2013 825i my uncle has (who I work for) its a blast to drive and really preforms well! Much better than the 2005 850D (diesel) gator we had that was limited at 30mph. The new 825i with fuel injection and power steering does 45mph, soaks up the bumps better than a caddy, and still has plenty of power for towing. also very easy to add lights and stuff too, already prewired and pig tailed for them, as well as "open" spots in the dash for extra switches, We've got the dump bed and PIAA light kit on it. and these Maxxis Big horn 2.0's are a nice tire as well!

All my love of the John Deere talk bit me. Been in the dealership for almost two weeks and they're having to tear the engine down to replace the crankshaft gaskets. I'm considering the pioneer like Dave's. It looks awesome and has gotta be more reliable. 117 miles and I'm having to have the engine torn down. Sheesh
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby B.E.Nelli » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:48 pm

whisperin' duck wrote:
2500hdon37s wrote:For anybody looking at SxS's dont over look the new John Deere's! I love the 2013 825i my uncle has (who I work for) its a blast to drive and really preforms well! Much better than the 2005 850D (diesel) gator we had that was limited at 30mph. The new 825i with fuel injection and power steering does 45mph, soaks up the bumps better than a caddy, and still has plenty of power for towing. also very easy to add lights and stuff too, already prewired and pig tailed for them, as well as "open" spots in the dash for extra switches, We've got the dump bed and PIAA light kit on it. and these Maxxis Big horn 2.0's are a nice tire as well!

All my love of the John Deere talk bit me. Been in the dealership for almost two weeks and they're having to tear the engine down to replace the crankshaft gaskets. I'm considering the pioneer like Dave's. It looks awesome and has gotta be more reliable. 117 miles and I'm having to have the engine torn down. Sheesh

Shoulda waited for Massey to come out with a side by side....haha
B.E.Nelli
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Thu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm

B.E.Nelli wrote:
whisperin' duck wrote:

Shoulda waited for Massey to come out with a side by side....haha

I know, this crow sammich ain't that great!
LadyK wrote:Ya know, day to day, government collapse, zombie apocalypse. A woman's job never changes. :lol3:
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:40 am

Alright Duck Whisper, I got your answer on putting a cooler behind the seats. This one is jacked up with a lift kit, 28" tires, a snorkel hose from breather to roof (breather is seat level), custom white paint job. Earl (Honda of Russellville) is 6'2".

IMG_2269.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG
Attachments
IMG_2273.JPG
AR Dave
hunter

Postby whisperin' duck » Fri Mar 21, 2014 11:30 am

Not crazy about the white, or the wheel and tire choice, and earl doesn't look happy. But everything else I'm digging on!
whisperin' duck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Sat Mar 22, 2014 9:58 am

whisperin' duck wrote:All my love of the John Deere talk bit me. Been in the dealership for almost two weeks and they're having to tear the engine down to replace the crankshaft gaskets. I'm considering the pioneer like Dave's. It looks awesome and has gotta be more reliable. 117 miles and I'm having to have the engine torn down. Sheesh

Sorry to hear that!

we hit 425mi on ours this week and the only thing its ever had is a oil change. I've taken it down the road 6mi one way and held it at 40-45mph, and same thing come back on that trip. Gets ran through pastures and lots of 20-35mph runs in the open parts, and we check cows everyday with it.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby AR Dave » Sat Mar 22, 2014 10:38 am

They all do 45 mph before the governor kicks in now. Do you hunt with that JD? How does it handle mud, water, at 3 mph? How quiet is it at 5 mph? I do a lot of creeping around in the woods, like my machine quite.

Anyone have any advice about wenches? Portable - Permanent, something else? I can't see me every needing one.
AR Dave
hunter

Postby cuppedup50 » Sun Mar 23, 2014 1:46 pm

Dave, whether you think you will need it or not, I would put a winch on it. Never know when you might need one if you get into some of the crap we get into with ours..........I would recommend getting one with a remote though so you can operate it from outside the vehicle if you need to.
cut em.
cuppedup50
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:23 pm

AR Dave wrote:They all do 45 mph before the governor kicks in now. Do you hunt with that JD? How does it handle mud, water, at 3 mph? How quiet is it at 5 mph? I do a lot of creeping around in the woods, like my machine quite.

Anyone have any advice about wenches? Portable - Permanent, something else? I can't see me every needing one.

We dont hunt with it, its pretty much a farm/ work machine. I waited a while to reply to really get a good test of this. I would say its pretty quiet from about 7-8mph and under as long as you're being easy on the throttle, after that the RPM's kick up a bit and she starts getting a little raspy and loud. keep it in low range if you want to stay around 3mph and have very smooth application. It's not terribly or annoyingly loud at any speed but if you put it on the floor you'll hear it, or if you let off and coast from 20+. at 40-45mph the engine noise is about drown out by tire and wind noise. In the mud it does great, not too often do I have to lock it in 4wd. in the past 3 days we've had close to 4in of rain and even in the rotten hay (bottomless and slick) it gets around great. Havent taken it though any water deeper than a foot or so, soft mud bottom and it went on through in 2wd. The air intake and breathers are right at the bottom of the seats (little over 2ft off the ground.)

I'd also suggest getting a winch, there is probably somewhere to mount it already that is out of the way. permanent is a good idea, and much less hassle. And chances are you'll forget to bring the removable winch with you, if you have one as it'll take up space in the bed if you keep it there. You may not think you'll need it but at some point you'll get stuck, even if you're not trying. I got the old gator we had stuck a few times.. a winch would have been nice. My old 4 wheeler had a winch and they're handy, not just for when you get stuck. You can help others get unstuck, and move logs off trails and things like that. and if you ever want a snow plow a winch will help.

2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Previous

Return to The Honey Hole