Any Color Blind folks here?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, #1wingnut

Any Color Blind folks here?

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:02 pm

guy I know (big deer hunter) was talking about being color blind and said it's virtually impossible for him to see/follow a blood trail because red/green/brown all runs together quite a bit...especially red/brown. never really thought about it but I can see how that would be troublesome for a hunter....

anyone have any first-hand experience?
At the advice of my attorney, I issue the following disclaimer:

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Re: Any Color Blind folks here?

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:16 pm

I know all about it and it sucks! If I see something that I think may be blood, I'll have to stick my finger in it to check it out, but I can see large piles of blood though. I am able to pick out shapes and movement real good though. I can always see a deer before any one else too .
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby GomerPyle » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:26 pm

La. Hunter wrote:I know all about it and it sucks! If I see something that I think may be blood, I'll have to stick my finger in it to check it out, but I can see large piles of blood though. I am able to pick out shapes and movement real good though. I can always see a deer before any one else too .

I was actually just googling the subject and saw where many consider it to be an advantage for hunting...especially red/green color blind folks, because they tend to be able to pick out patterns better and "see camo". apparently, many Special Forces groups actually seek out color blind folks for just that reason.

"This post may or may not be intended as humor and/or sarcasm and does not necessarily reflect the actual views of the poster."
GomerPyle
hunter

Postby Underradar » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:28 pm

I, too, am cursed with the color blind. But I am working on it.
My lab died, and no one on Duckhuntingchat even cared.

Google I'm feeling lucky: DU biologist stole my car

You may win a fight, but you can never win an argument.
Underradar
hunter

Postby jaysweet3 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 3:41 pm

The road to diabetes will be sweet.
jaysweet3
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:40 pm

GomerPyle wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:I know all about it and it sucks! If I see something that I think may be blood, I'll have to stick my finger in it to check it out, but I can see large piles of blood though. I am able to pick out shapes and movement real good though. I can always see a deer before any one else too .

I was actually just googling the subject and saw where many consider it to be an advantage for hunting...especially red/green color blind folks, because they tend to be able to pick out patterns better and "see camo". apparently, many Special Forces groups actually seek out color blind folks for just that reason.

Another advantage is that I'll never have to be like some of our GQ reading metrosexual members here because I can't match clothes and have quit caring if I match or not. If I'm going somewhere that I need to look presentable, I have to get my wife to pick out my clothes. I had her write numbers on the tags of my camo shirts and pants so I could make sure my camo matches while bow hunting without having to wake her up.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby JeffW » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:26 pm

I am red colored blind and have a hard time following blood during the day. It is a little easier at night though, just need to go slow. I to think that I can see and pick out deer better in the woods.
JeffW
hunter

Postby ByersFarm » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:44 pm

I'm colorblind. I couldn't find a blood trail to save my life.
http://www.byersfarm.com Bill Byers' Hunter Club est. 1953

CraZyMatt wrote:Well, I guess I'll see y'all on the internet.
ByersFarm
DHC Sponsor

Postby erp10 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 5:51 pm

Red Green Color blind. Cant see a blood trail to save my life unless there is snow on the ground. I would also be the guy who brings home the Charlie Brown Christmas tree...they all look GREEN!
erp10
hunter

Postby burns_312 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:04 pm

Gotta buddy that I didn't know was color blind until one day we were shooting mallards up close In a corn field and every damn group we shot into hens were dying. I finally said alright which one of you dumbasses isn't shooting the ones with green heads. Buddy said, might be me I can't see green. :lol3:
burns_312
hunter

Postby rank duck » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:22 pm

It affects about 5% of males. And it only affects males. My son is red-green color blind. He couldn't see a brown rabbit in the green lawn in summer 10 yards from us until it moved.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:29 pm

rank duck wrote:It affects about 5% of males. And it only affects males. My son is red-green color blind. He couldn't see a brown rabbit in the green lawn in summer 10 yards from us until it moved.

Odd. The shapes always jump out at me. Movement helps too. I can't always see a moccasin or copperhead layed up though until I'm almost on top of them. Needless to say, it takes me a while to walk through the woods during the summer because I'm constantly scanning the ground in front of me. I've seen many sticks that I thought were snakes and vice versa.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby winchester1852 » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:09 pm

Are color blind People allowed to drive.
if you can read this your almost as smart as a dolphin.
winchester1852
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:27 pm

winchester1852 wrote:Are color blind People allowed to drive.

Yes. Most green lights are easy to tell apart from the red and yellow. However, if I come to a single flashing light, and no one is in the vehicle with me to tell me the color, I treat it as a flashing red and come to a stop. It might piss off any drivers behind me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A little tip for other color blind members dealing with chargers that have lights that change from red to green when charged. Get a piece of transparent red plastic, like the dividers in 3 ring binders, and tape it over the light. Depending on the brightness of the light, you may have to double up. If I remember correctly, when you can longer see the light, it's charged. I have to tape a piece of paper nearby on the charger reminding me if the light is off it is charged, or vise versa. I'll try to remember to get a pic of my ecig charger and post it.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby Glimmerjim » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:39 pm

rank duck wrote:It affects about 5% of males. And it only affects males. My son is red-green color blind. He couldn't see a brown rabbit in the green lawn in summer 10 yards from us until it moved.

That's wild that it only affects males. I always thought the only thing that affects men but not women is the ability to control the desire to talk continuously through a movie.
Glimmerjim
hunter

Postby luie b » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:01 am

La. Hunter wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:

Another advantage is that I'll never have to be like some of our GQ reading metrosexual members here because I can't match clothes and have quit caring if I match or not. If I'm going somewhere that I need to look presentable, I have to get my wife to pick out my clothes. I had her write numbers on the tags of my camo shirts and pants so I could make sure my camo matches while bow hunting without having to wake her up.

Wait. You don't care if your regular clothes match but your camo has to match? That's probably one of the most "metrosexual" things I've ever heard!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 16
Green-winged teal - 4
Wood Ducks - 1
luie b
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 12:09 am

luie b wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:
GomerPyle wrote:

Wait. You don't care if your regular clothes match but your camo has to match? That's probably one of the most "metrosexual" things I've ever heard!

Sent from my XT901 using Tapatalk

I want to make sure I blend in. Truthfully I don't know if it matters if it matches as long as it helps conceal me in the tree.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Postby rank duck » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:34 am

La. Hunter wrote:

Yes. Most green lights are easy to tell apart from the red and yellow. However, if I come to a single flashing light, and no one is in the vehicle with me to tell me the color, I treat it as a flashing red and come to a stop. It might piss off any drivers behind me, but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

A little tip for other color blind members dealing with chargers that have lights that change from red to green when charged. Get a piece of transparent red plastic, like the dividers in 3 ring binders, and tape it over the light. Depending on the brightness of the light, you may have to double up. If I remember correctly, when you can longer see the light, it's charged. I have to tape a piece of paper nearby on the charger reminding me if the light is off it is charged, or vise versa. I'll try to remember to get a pic of my ecig charger and post it.

Interesting perspective. Even though my son is red-green color blind, I hadn't really considered the moron driver in front of me might not be a moron after all. However, since most people around here drive stupid any way, I'm probably correct in my assessment of their poor driving skills about 99% of the time. But.. something to keep in mind.

Good tip on the charger too. Thanks!
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:10 am

I'm pretty bad and not just red/green/brown. The best way I've ever been able to describe it to people is you know the Crayola classic 8 markers? I can tell all those apart but as soon as there's a shade lighter or darker all bets are off. Light greens and yellows, blues and purples, reds/greens/browns, all tough to tell. For work I try to never buy multiple shirts or pants from the same brand. I can remember the Arrow shirt matches the Haggar pants but not the Dockers, etc

I would love to bow hunt but there's no way I could get by having to track every deer I shot.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby cannon » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:39 am

Dang. I misread the title to the thread. I was thinking Clayton Bigsby.
Smell that? Smells like sumthin died in here.
cannon
hunter

Location: At the stop sign in the ditch at Byers Farm, unlocking the gate.

Postby ScaupHunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:40 am

There is a simple tracking fix. Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. The blood foams up when you spray it. If you think it is blood give it a quick squirt. Mark the spot and look for the next one.

Has anyone who is color blind tried checking the black lights or red lenses / green lenses on a hand held spotlight to see if it helps you see the blood? I would think you could find a lens color for a bright handheld spotlight that would turn the blood black in your color spectrum. Almost nothing in nature is black so it would stand out.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby GomerPyle » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:43 am

rank duck wrote:
La. Hunter wrote:

Interesting perspective. Even though my son is red-green color blind, I hadn't really considered the moron driver in front of me might not be a moron after all. However, since most people around here drive stupid any way, I'm probably correct in my assessment of their poor driving skills about 99% of the time. But.. something to keep in mind.

THIS.......next time some "idiot" stops at a flashing yellow light, I'll think twice before cussing them.......I mean, I'll probably still do it, but I'll think about it a little longer first

GomerPyle
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:02 am

cannon wrote:Dang. I misread the title to the thread. I was thinking Clayton Bigsby.

Heard he divorced his wife.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Omaha Clucker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:17 am

ScaupHunter wrote:There is a simple tracking fix. Hydrogen peroxide in a spray bottle. The blood foams up when you spray it. If you think it is blood give it a quick squirt. Mark the spot and look for the next one.

Has anyone who is color blind tried checking the black lights or red lenses / green lenses on a hand held spotlight to see if it helps you see the blood? I would think you could find a lens color for a bright handheld spotlight that would turn the blood black in your color spectrum. Almost nothing in nature is black so it would stand out.

Thanks for the hydrogen peroxide thing. Admittedly I haven't researched a lot of options and have always wrote the tracking lights off a gimmick but maybe there is a combo that would help. For me something that illuminated blue or purple would stick out best in the field as even black or brown on the ground just looks dark. Up until this point the couple of deer I've had to track my only hope was the sheen of blood. I'm on my hands and knees looking for anything that looks wet, but an old trail I'd be screwed.
Omaha Clucker
hunter

Postby La. Hunter » Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:53 am

I have to have my dad or son on standby when I bow hunt. My dad had to learn to trail deer at an early age because my great uncle was color blind and couldn't trail a deer unless it dropped in its tracks. Both of my sons are pretty good at trailing deer too. When my sons kill one while in the stand with me, I'll have them find the blood and then let them trail it while I make half circles out front to see if I see the deer laying somewhere.
La. Hunter
Site Admin

Next

Return to The Honey Hole