HELP: how do you kill a wounded duck?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, La. Hunter, Preacher1011, lostpup, #1wingnut

HELP: how do you kill a wounded duck?

Postby greenheadgunner » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:26 pm

I hate doing the following, but you just can't avoid it...
We alll know that when you shoot a duck it doesn't always die immediately, sometimes it's even completely conscious and alert, it may just have a broken wing.
I've only hunted ducks for 2 seasons...what is the most humane way to kill the ducks you've shot?
I know that shooting them again works, but its usually from a close distance and it blows them to pieces or at least "detracts from their natural beauty."
I've tried snapping their neck... it's like trying to snap a hose in half.
I've also tried cutting their necks and bleeding them to death...a slow and very unglamorous death.
I hate doing it...but I want to be as humane and fair to the ducks as I can.

There may be no real humane way to do it...I just want to know how you guys finish your ducks.

What do you guys recommend?
Gimme ducks or gimme death.
greenheadgunner
hunter

Postby quackkiller » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:39 pm

I always just ring the necks and it works pretty good. If not I'll whack it's head on the side of the boat or a tree and that does the job.
quackkiller
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:45 pm

I ring there neck.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby donell67 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:07 pm

ring there neck. spin it around as fast as you can.there neck should snap no problem.if you have to cut there neck just cut there head clean off. no sense in them suffering. wont be pretty but its alot more humane than just cutting there neck.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Postby duckboy_390 » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:30 pm

I usually like to sink my eye tooth right into there skull duck commander style. :thumbsup:
Also, grab their legs and whap the back of their head on the barrel of your gun will also get er done. :hammering:
Cut that Sucka'-Phil R.
duckboy_390
hunter

Postby shocktroop » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:39 pm

When hunting from shore, I place them on a firm surface and put my knee in thier back, right between the wings and put my weight on them, this collapses the lungs and suffocates them in 5-15 seconds, plus doesn't mess them up if you want to mount them. I have trouble in the water, as allot of my hunting I'm waste deep in the water, so then I might whack the head on something solid really good. Or....squeeze them right behind the wings to suffocate them...but it's harder this way then putting your knee into them. Or...ring the neck.
shocktroop
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:46 pm

ring there neck or shoot them again with smaller loads
duckbuster
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:51 pm

shoot them again :thumbsdown: I usualy just run them down if they start running.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby bgoldhunter » Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:22 pm

Last edited by bgoldhunter on Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bgoldhunter
hunter

Postby stalns » Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:48 pm

Hold the body, three turns of the head and pull. :eek:
stalns
hunter

Postby MNduckhunter » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:59 am

duckboy_390 wrote:I usually like to sink my eye tooth right into there skull duck commander style. :thumbsup:
Also, grab their legs and whap the back of their head on the barrel of your gun will also get er done. :hammering:

Yeah- this is the best way. Bite the head with your teeth. Its fast and i mean Duck Commander does it so why shouldn't we.
MNduckhunter
Keep the sportsmanship on the top of your list along with taking kids out and teaching them the love of the sport. Whether it be hunting or fishing, teach them the right and smart way to be a Sportsman.
MNduckhunter
hunter

Postby Woodie1 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:40 am

duck comander style then when you get home give the wife/girlfriend a big wet one and only you have to know :mrgreen:
Woodie1
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Thu Feb 17, 2005 7:58 am

i use 1 of 2 methods depending on the what i want to do with the duck. if it's an eatin' duck, ring his neck like described in a couple of the previous posts. (grab head, spin body 2 or 3 turns and it pops very easy.) if it's a mounting duck, do like shock said. (grab them at the base of the wings, closest to the head. squeeze along their spine with a firm grip. this cuts off their oxygen. on big ducks this takes up to 1 minute, maybe 2, sometimes. it protects the bird from getting damaged though.) hth!
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:16 am

i ring their necks. a couple of good spins and the neck snaps pretty easily. somtimes i'll give 'em good smack up against a tree or stump. if you are going to do that, don't be shy...really wind up and let 'em have it. otherwise you may find yourself having to whack him 3 or 4 times and if you are already feeling sorry for the little critter this may seem abusive.

i have a buddy that bite's them..though effective, all i can say is, "better him than me." :laughing:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Duckhunter16 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:34 am

I usually just ring there neck but this doesn’t always work. I remember this one drake I got this year rang its neck herd it snap and felt the bone snap. So I through him in the bucket about 5 min. later I opened the buck to do something and I got a big shock when Mr. Duck decided to jump out at me. Guess I just didn't sever his spine or something. So just make sure it breaks all the way. I did see this thing in the Max Prairie Wing catalog it was like a pair of pliers you just squeeze and it broke their neck with out breaking the skin sounded pretty cool.
IF IT FLIES IT DIES

I am a member of peta
People Eating Tasty Animals
Duckhunter16
hunter

My technique

Postby RiverRat » Thu Feb 17, 2005 11:44 am

I usualley just jump on there heads with my boots heel first,Or I will just simply drown them.I kinda hate doing it to also.The windmill works also
Where in the heck have all the birds gone,My fly zone must stink
RiverRat
hunter

Postby 870 » Thu Feb 17, 2005 5:42 pm

The gun barrel idea Gunboy spoke of works for me . When I clean my gun at night that includes the blood on the barrel. Now reload and get down.
State Moderator

Postby killindux » Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:16 pm

Are we really serious that this question was even asked? :umm:
killindux
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:27 pm

Take the duck by the head and spin it like you would a larriet. This breaks their neck ending their suffering.

Help when you can and ask when you need it. The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask. :umm:

Keep the sport alive take a kid hunting/fishing.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:01 am

"Crunch 'Em" ... the idea is to dispatch a cripple as quickly & humanely as possible. :hammering:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Sun Feb 20, 2005 12:06 pm

especially if it is one i want to get mounted, you can simply press down on their chest and this will usually get the job done.
frazier2209
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Feb 20, 2005 11:23 pm

The plier like tool is called the eradicator? Doesn't cut the head off, snaps the neck bone in half. The ol windmill is my preferred method.
tstrong
hunter

Postby duckdog » Tue Feb 22, 2005 12:14 pm

I prefer the Duck Commander style myself it is quick and easy, plus it can earn you a quick buck or two in the blind for them guy's who don't know what's about to happen. :laughing: My only advice is I would'nt try this on geese, they seem to be a little more hard headed than duck's, plus I don't have the best teeth in the world either :thumbsup:
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby thaner » Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:25 pm

I let the dog do it. Not sure how he does it. I'll ask. :laughing:

I do the wind mill with a snap :thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby labman45 » Fri Feb 25, 2005 5:16 pm

I have a method that is alot more humane i take the duck lay him legth wise on my hand and pinch his lungs until it starts flapping its wings and goes limp that also works on pheasants and doves. :salude:
labman45
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole