Insurance Claim on hunting gear?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Insurance Claim on hunting gear?

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:01 pm

Anyone ever have to put in a claim or have a major loss of your gear and have any tips with dealing with the insurance company?

Sent from the smoker
Saying things taste "gamey" is a sign of poor taste
Fatback
hunter

Re: Insurance Claim on hunting gear?

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:03 pm

Did it get taken out of your truck or house?
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:05 pm

House fire

Sent from the smoker
Fatback
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:07 pm

Fatback wrote:House fire

Sent from the smoker

Homeowners should cover it under possessions, I know my ins covers up to 150k worth of possions . You talking about guns or the rest of it
I hope someday someone remembers this old dog with kindness and gives me to a puppy.

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby MarkM » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:13 pm

OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Sent from the smoker

Homeowners should cover it under possessions, I know my ins covers up to 150k worth of possions . You talking about guns or the rest of it

He is in Canada, might be different.
possumfoot wrote:i cant remember who said it, but they said it best.. to a grown man, watching child birth is like a 9yo watching disney land burn to the ground..

Locked&Loaded wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:...metrosexual....

:lol3: I am!
MarkM
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:14 pm

Guns were in a safe , but things like ammo... Was not burnt but boxes were "smoked" .... I have had people tell me that even though my guns were not in the fire, because I have replacement insurance on items that I should replace them cause of potential damage down the road.

Sent from the smoker
Fatback
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:15 pm

It's pretty much the same in Canada as the US .. We have the same company's

Sent from the smoker
Fatback
hunter

Postby OHIODUCKA5 » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:16 pm

MarkM wrote:
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Sent from the smoker

He is in Canada, might be different.

Oh. Idk then

Call the Prime Minister then, he'll know what to do.

Take the guns to a trusted gunsmith have them inspected. If they were in a good safe they may need refinished but not replaced. PM t_baker He's a fireman he can tell you about guns in safes

-Gene Hill
OHIODUCKA5
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:18 pm

If you replace all your guns, you can send me the old ones. Might as well send me the safe too. It's probably not safe anymore. I'll even do you a favor and pay the shipping. :thumbsup:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:25 pm

Ya the insurance company said take any money, documents, and firearms out...if their salvageable , but a buddy told me that they just don't like replacing guns( can get pricey I'm guessing)... Or refinishing

Sent from the smoker
Fatback
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:57 pm

How long was the fire burning? How close was the safe to the fire? How close to the safe was the origin of the fire? Whats your safes fire rating? Fire out the roof? Entire house? Room and contents?

As far as contents goes. Get a pair of gloves, shovel, and camera. Take pictures of EVERYTHING. Down to every last fork in the silverware drawer. Every pair of underwear in your wifes drawer. EVERYTHING IN THE HOUSE. I can not stress that enough. Take all your pictures with the rubble in the background. Make it look as terrible as possible. Once your done with pictures, make a itemized list of all the pictures, including the highest original prices, and quantity. Give it to the insurance company. They are going to pay you pennies on the dollar for every item. So the more accurate you are the better. Fight with them, do not settle on the first amount they tell you.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Fatback » Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:27 pm

Thanks man, pm sent.... That's what I'm hearing its a total uphill battle. Took pics of mostly everything, 3 full phone charges because of just taking pics. Waiting on the insurance adjuster (independent working for them) to bring in the company adjuster because it's a big claim (so they say).

Sent from the smoker
Fatback
hunter

Postby Anoldhuntersc » Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:07 pm

For info some homeowner policy have sub limits. Like on on jewelry,guns, silverware. Would be listed under person property section. Sub limits say $1500 in guns etc. check policy to see. Itemize list everything. Good idea for everyone to check policy. Had a friend who recently had all his guns stolen. Some were in $10000 range. Homeowner policy had $1500 sub limit on guns. That's all he got. Ask your agent.
Anoldhuntersc
hunter

Postby Willie » Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:17 pm

Yes, what Arnold said.
Willie
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Jan 08, 2014 10:04 pm

I sent the following to FB in a PM. Thought I would post it also in the event someone else is going through the same thing or knows someone who is.

Any fire rating on the safe? Some safe companies will warranty the guns through their company. (Cannon comes to mind) The finish on the guns are the biggest damage to look for. A blued gun will look OK for a few weeks and then turn to hell at the first hit of moisture. Best thing you could have done is pulled them out and rubbed oil on them and let cool. If there is no fire rating I would stress this to the insurance company and you may have a fighting chance. If there was a fire rating I would get the fire report from the fire investigator, or talk to him and make sure that the length of the fire was documented.

Also surprised that with the diversity of people here at DHC, no one here is a insurance agent.
t_baker
hunter

Postby brokermike » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:58 am

t_baker wrote:I sent the following to FB in a PM. Thought I would post it also in the event someone else is going through the same thing or knows someone who is.

Any fire rating on the safe? Some safe companies will warranty the guns through their company. (Cannon comes to mind) The finish on the guns are the biggest damage to look for. A blued gun will look OK for a few weeks and then turn to hell at the first hit of moisture. Best thing you could have done is pulled them out and rubbed oil on them and let cool. If there is no fire rating I would stress this to the insurance company and you may have a fighting chance. If there was a fire rating I would get the fire report from the fire investigator, or talk to him and make sure that the length of the fire was documented.

Also surprised that with the diversity of people here at DHC, no one here is the devil.

FIFY
brokermike
hunter

Postby cluckmeister » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:19 pm

Anoldhuntersc wrote:For info some homeowner policy have sub limits. Like on on jewelry,guns, silverware. Would be listed under person property section. Sub limits say $1500 in guns etc. check policy to see. Itemize list everything. Good idea for everyone to check policy. Had a friend who recently had all his guns stolen. Some were in $10000 range. Homeowner policy had $1500 sub limit on guns. That's all he got. Ask your agent.

That's the exact reason I took out a separate writer on my Colts, my State Farm coverage has a limit of 6000 on firearms in case of fire.
If you're there for the limit, you're there for the wrong reason
cluckmeister
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole