scouting for turkeys

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

scouting for turkeys

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 04, 2005 9:25 pm

hey all,

continuing the turkey theme, how does everyone scout for turkeys? do you do it preseason, use locator calls the evening before, or just have pre-determined places you feel comfortable turkeys travel? our season opens up at the beginning of april so i am really starting to think about it quite a bit.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:36 am

I have places where I know turkey's typically roost. So I'll try to go out the night before I hunt and put some birds to bed, with some gobblin on the roost. Then I know they are there for the next morning. The trick is getting them to come my way when they fly down in the morning.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby h2ofwlr » Sat Mar 05, 2005 1:09 pm

I grab them by the beak!

No crap - there were 2 in the road about a 1/4 mile from my house 2 days ago. Those 2 Toms would not budge. Well I honk at them, and try to drive past, I roll down the window, and start to LMAO as they are gobbling and purring at me and Casey is in back of the topper barking up a storm. I poke my finger at them and one nips my finger and gobbles. It would have been quite easy to grab it and have a turkey dinner, :thumbsup: So I guess I "toll" for turkeys using a red truck and barking dog and they come right up to you. :laughing:
And people say they are so smart.... yeah right...:toofunny:
The Audacity of Bull Crap.
"Typical: Gun-loving, bitter bible-thumping white person" Barack Obama.
Hey I resemble that comment!!! Those are FIGHTING WORDS!!!
h2ofwlr
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Greg Wile » Sat Mar 05, 2005 7:12 pm

I've seen some roosting in the local malls and donut shops. :laughing:

Oh!! You ment the feathered kind. :oops: Unfortunately we don't have any here and the proposal to introduce them was shot down by the farmers and the Pheasants Forever Group can you beleive it another hunter support group shooting this down after the feasibility and ecology studies were done and O.K.'d :pissed: Any way Can't comment on the how to of scouting for feathered turkeys sorry.

Keep the sport alive, take a kid hunting / fishing.
Last edited by Greg Wile on Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Sun Mar 06, 2005 10:09 am

Well I've been hunting the same flock of turkeys for six years now, and they havn't failed me yet (knock on wood) They seem to roost in the same oaks on the same bluff next to the river year after year. The only exception to this is they rotate roosts from one side of the river to the other. If they roost on the side I approach from, they may fly to the other side of the river. Most of the time I can do a fly-down with an old turkey wing, and have them come running in to my lap. I want people who don't use a fly-down wing to start using one, because it is so effective! I do a couple of tree yelps, this will get the toms amped up, and then I follow with a couple of tree clucks or fly-down clucks, then I start flapping the wing against myself or a tree, then I do the same thing a second time, and maybe even a third. These toms are usually flying down within a few seconds. I've had to on a few occasions, do a jake gobble call with my diaphragm call, and that is about it. Those turkeys are on the ground spitting and drumming, the whole nine yards!
Greg, I've read somewhere that turkey scat and pheasants don't get along (vise/versa). Something to do with a parasite within the scat that kills one or the other. I don't know if it is true or not, It may be a ploy to keep turkeys out of Nova Scotia :tounge:! I am sorry though that you don't have them there, they are a blast ! Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Admin2 » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:04 am

There are a few turkeys on a certain nameless forum here. :yes: :umm: :tounge:

:toofunny:

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:00 pm

I resemble that?? :toofunny:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're starting to work cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 06, 2005 6:19 pm

I just go out before the season and listen for gobbling where I am going to be hunting. I have several tracts to hunt, so i try to find the ones where the turkeys seem to be present and active. It just gives me a good idea of where to hunt when the season finally gets here (3 weeks). I'm going to start listening this week. I actually heard one gobble this morning while camping on the river about 20 miles from where I hunt.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole