18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Postby SpinnerMan » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:19 am

Honker Guide wrote:It continues to amaze me, how so many guys have shot a 17 or 18 lb goose in the past, but when I start a contest, the geese seem to shrink!! I started this contest 4 seasons ago on another forem annd so many had shot geese up to and bigger than 20 lbs. Now we can't even find a measly little ol' 15 pounder.
The reports of 20 lb geese started when a captive breeding program was started to bring back the Maximus subspecies of the Canda Goose. These geese were fed a special diet and many reached 20 lbs. The difference, my contest is for a wild Canada Goose!! Not a hand fed goose.
I really thought that the contest would have been won last year with a 16 lb goose, but nothing. We had reports of some 15 lb'ers and maybe this will be the year. We will find out! Paul

If you go back and read honker's second post, he even believes there were 20 lb geese. They were from captive breeding programs. Are any of these still ongoing anywhere in the U.S.? I shot at a 20+ pounder in 1987 or 1988 in central PA. It was the most incredibly huge goose I have ever seen. It is also the one and only goose I have ever seen in my life that I think exceeded 15 lbs. I always wondered about it and I still kick myself in the ass because it should have been a dead goose. Now 20 years later, it makes sense. It was a captive goose that either escaped or was released. There were a few taken at the time, but I have never heard of another one since then. Now I know why.

I don't know why so many people get so ticked off. Is it possible that the goose was as large as some one says? Yes. Is it actually that big? Probably not. Who cares!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My grandfather used to enjoy disappointing the successful deer hunters. The bucks in our area weighed about 125 dressed at 1.5 years and maybe 130 - 150 as a mature buck. The tired hunter would drag his deer out and proclaim it must be 200 lbs. My pap would say about 125. No way. So they would way it on his scale. When the scale read 127, you would see a disappointed hunter, but he never mocked them or called them names.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby quackerwacker » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:36 pm

Carbenz wrote: I shot a 44 pound goose last year.

Aren't you the same guy that everyone was talking about last year for shooting that GIANT 11lb coot? You must have one hell of a retriever to haul back those dinosaurs you shoot :thumbsup:
2009-2010 totals
Canada Geese: 5
Mallards: 14
Wood ducks:0
Widgeon: 0
Gadwall: 0
Pintail: 5
Green Wing Teal: 5
Bands: none yet this year!
quackerwacker
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:48 pm

:thumbsup: My money is on you Mat. We have shot 26 geese so far and the biggest is 8 lbs. (average size) but the giants come from the James Bay area and are soon to arive, they can top 20 lbs. and I'm going to send some your way. :smile:
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 pm

smitht wrote:ks waterfowler i dont think it would hurt anybody's feelings if you left the site again talkin down to people the way you do. you talk like ur God's gift to hunting!!
:dito:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Jim Broadbridge » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:14 am

Here's the deal, first off I'm sure there have been 15 lb. geese shot in North America. I never heard of this contest, so I would think there are plenty of other hunters that have never heard of it also. How much do you think it would cost to ship a 15 lb. goose to these guys and how many people have access to a registered scale at the same time they shoot the goose. IMO it's too much trouble to go through for a few dekes. But believe me there are 15 lb. + geese on this continent.
I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm as good once as I ever was.
Jim Broadbridge
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:50 am

I Live in Wisconsin, and have to think that we have some of the largest local greaters that fly. I have shot plenty of geese, and have been hunting them for 22 years, and hunted with a guide for 10 of them. I have seen a number of large birds taken, and have heard the same claims by first-timers and clients to the sizes reaching 16 to 20 pounds. These are people looking at the largest bird they have ever taken (outside of harvesting a turkey), and holding one of these birds in their hand with the out-stretched arm is a bit of a chore, I'll admit that, but the average greater (in this northern climate) is probably 11 to 12 lbs. Have we ever shot a bird larger? Yes, but 18, 17, 16, I highly doubt it. Without weighing any of the birds I have taken, I bet I have nearly approached the fifteen pound mark. I do turkey hunt however, and the typical Eastern spring tom is 19 to 25 pounds, depending on the availability of food that spring and the location the birds exist. I also know that a tom turkey without any question far exceeds any goose I have taken. On the other hand, A Jake will weigh around 11 pounds, and after holding both a large goose and a young jake in my hand, I'd say they are close, with the jake probably outweighing the goose more often than not. Now will I start weighing my large geese? You bet your ass! Will I hit 15 pounds? Probably not, and after some of you start to actually weighing your birds, I'd bet you too will find that you may have been over-estimating the birds you claim are 15+ pounders. If I'm wrong, then you're the big winner! Don't make claims that you don't have the time or money to ship a frozen bird. As a hobbyist taxidermist, I have shipped several frozen birds across the country by U.S. Mail. It's easy and not too expensive. I'd say that a box weighing 20 lbs (with cardboard and insulation) will cost no more than 60 dollars. That's shipping Priority Mail, which will make it to every destination (including Alaska or Hawaii) in 2 days or less, and if near a major city will be there overnight. Now I don't think that's too much of an investment to win some awesome decoys. If you are shipping a migratory bird through a common parcel service, then you need to tag the bird's foot with the hunter's name, hunting license number, address and phone number, where the specimen was shot, and what the specimen is. This is according to the 50 CFR's which are regs set forth for the preservation and control of Migratory Game Birds. You will also need to label the outside of the box with 1 Canada Goose. Now you're all legal. If you weigh your bird and you come up with 15 to 30 pounds ( :wink: ), you will want to store it so it doesn't have any damages done to it during shipping. So I suggest folding it's head and neck as snugly as possible under the wing, and freezing it in two strong plastic bags in the shape of a tear-drop. If you insulate your package correctly, I will guarantee it will still be frozen by the time it makes it to your winning destination. Good luck everyone! I asked one of my bird collector friends what his Swan weighed that he had shot in the Carolina's last year, and he said it was average.......21 pounds. This comes from a guy who has one of everything, and has been collecting and hunting everywhere throughout North and South America for 40+ years! Hunting the Mississippi River, I have seen Swans fly with Geese, and there absolutely no comparison. Swans are nearly twice the bird.

I'm not calling anyone a liar here, I've seen some freakish things in the wild, just haven't in all my hunting seen birds in the 18 pound class, but I wouldn't hesitate sending it in for that great offer!

-Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby SWAMPFOX' » Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:27 pm

Being from South Carolina where we have no real winters and the geese never leave, The goose that I shot, last year(which does nothing for this contest but is on the tailgate in that pic of my avatar), that I weighed at a feed and seed on USDA certified scaleswith a couple of witnesses, only weighed 15 lbs and under 1 oz. I thought this thing was a frickin macdaddy biggest goose that ever flew the sky, It had to weigh more than that. NOPE! These birds eat corn and grain year round with nothing to do but grow fat and I'LL probably never, never shoot another WILD goose near that big. Even my co hart who's been duck hunting for 50 something years said it was the biggest he'd seen. I say like ks waterfowler and the guy who's got the dekes up KILL THE DANG BIRD SHIP IT TO HIM AND GET YOUR DECOYS AND 100 DOLLARS! Then you will be the great white goose hunter. This kinda reminds me of the fishing contest. I SWEAR IT WAS THIS BIGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG! :yes: while everyone is :rofl:& :no:
I've hunted almost everyday of my life the rest are just wasted

"Prettiest little town in Dixie"
SWAMPFOX'
hunter

Postby greenster » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:49 pm

For those of you that don't have scales, check out your game and fish, or DNR offices. I know here in Arkansas all regional office's have scales for fish/birds and large game. these are free for use. I'm sure they are all certified, because they weigh for state and world records.
"Thomas Jefferson said I had a God-given right to pursue happiness. What makes me happy is to take a mallard's head smooth off at about 20 feet.

Lanyard: KM Custom Cut (hand),KM Cut red label Black Monster #1,RNT Timber hog,DS mondo,6n1 whistle
greenster
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ninethreeeleven » Thu Oct 11, 2007 9:13 pm

The first time my cousin shot a goose he picked it up and said "Damn this thing has to way 25 pounds!!!" I was big, but not that big. I said "Imagine trying to fly if you were 25 pounds, that thing probably weighs 11 pounds and even that is alot to fly with"

We never bothered to weigh the bird, but there is no way it was over 13 pounds, and even that is stretching it.
ninethreeeleven
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:52 pm

I just found this pic on another site that I frequent. Not sure if it's for real or just a prank. Couldn't tell from the post but that goose doesn't look big enough to tip that scale at 16.25 pounds. :huh:

“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby DUCKCUTR » Fri Oct 12, 2007 11:12 pm

I agree, the goose looks a bit small. But man, that shorthair is not happy to be in the picture.
DUCKCUTR
hunter

Postby Randy Loker » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:49 am

Looks more like 6lbs than 16lbs, that is a little goose.
Pile 'em up

Team Michigander 08-09
Geese:288 Bands:5, 1 collar
Ducks:367 Bands:0
Randy Loker
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:56 am

DUCKCUTR wrote:I agree, the goose looks a bit small. But man, that shorthair is not happy to be in the picture.

Kinda looks like the guy has his finger up the Pointers butt. :yes:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

re: stuffed goose?

Postby ant » Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 pm

Maybe its full of lead shot :rofl:
ant
hunter

Postby bowhunter20 » Sun Oct 14, 2007 1:41 pm

i have that same scale. see that thick red line. that is where it is set to start at. so its a 11 pound goose. still seems smaller.
bowhunter20
hunter

Postby Brydog » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:47 pm

That thick red line is the other end of the needle ! :tongue:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby davecz » Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:53 pm

I think that scale measures ounces
2010-2011 season totals
davecz
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:04 am

you guys and your drama are great, i seriously couldnt stop laughing! alot of "internet tuff guys", please keep it up this is just absolutely hilarious!
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 3:06 pm

side-slippin wrote:you guys and your drama are great, i seriously couldnt stop laughing! alot of "internet tuff guys", please keep it up this is just absolutely hilarious!

:huh: :huh: :huh: :huh: I have no idea what you're talking about..... unless you meant what has been posted like 2 weeks ago....?
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby side-slippin » Mon Oct 15, 2007 6:26 pm

calm down there brusier, just read the whole thread for the first time, thought is was hilarious. is that ok?
"Augustus...
...by-god Woodrow, it's been quite a party ain't it.
...yes sir."
side-slippin
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 15, 2007 7:41 pm

side-slippin wrote:calm down there brusier, just read the whole thread for the first time, thought is was hilarious. is that ok?

Don't know what you mean by calm down. I don't mind you posting that, but it was revalent to the thread a week or 2 ago, not now, so it's off-topic. I shouldn't have made a big deal about this but sorry, if your that late to reply you shouldn't say anything.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Big Goose

Postby WATERFOWLER1973 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:11 pm

I shot this goose this year.

This is the biggest goose I have ever seen harvested in my 10 years of hunting (by me or anyone else hunting with me) - and I have seen hundreds. I just had to have it weighed. The goose weighed in at 15.5 pounds.

Really doesn't matter to me if someone says I am a liar as I really don't have a reason to prove anything to anybody. I was going to mail it in to get those goose decoys, but I am not a materialistic type of guy. However, I did receive the Nobel Peace Prize for sending the goose overseas where it was used to feed an entire Ethiopian village.
WATERFOWLER1973
hunter

Postby choclab » Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:25 pm

LOL.....I'll believe you when I see a receipt from a certified scale.
"The rich....who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own exertions, are the real enemies of game". Teddy Roosevelt
choclab
hunter

Postby WATERFOWLER1973 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:43 pm

choclab wrote:LOL.....I'll believe you when I see a receipt from a certified scale.

What part of - "Really doesn't matter to me if someone says I am a liar as I really don't have a reason to prove anything to anybody" - did you not understand.
Last edited by WATERFOWLER1973 on Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WATERFOWLER1973
hunter

Postby WATERFOWLER1973 » Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:48 pm

By the way - take a look at this pic - how hard is it to pic out the abnormally large goose in this picture.

You know what I think...those people that come on here and call others liars have an insecurity issue - probably something to do with inadequate size :oops:
WATERFOWLER1973
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole