18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby berettaguy17 » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:26 pm

my buddy shot a 19.2 pound goose probly 8 years ago and he has the proof it on the wall it is HUGE
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby duckplucker » Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:50 pm

kansaswingnut wrote:Quackerwacker, you crack me up. Problem is some of these idiots think you're serious. ... Hey Quackerwacker, lets get together and go jackalope hunting. We might run into Sasquatch.

HAHA Thats funny right there. I was just in emporia the other day and saw a family of bigfoots on my way back to Lawrence for school.
"Take 'em"
duckplucker
hunter

Postby mtthomas1127 » Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:54 pm

I dropped an 18lb 5oz canada two years ago on the pond in my front yard. Just don't tell my neighbors with the hatchery down the road. :biggrin:
mtthomas1127
hunter

Postby Tom Phillips* » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:25 pm

berettaguy17 wrote:my buddy shot a 19.2 pound goose probly 8 years ago and he has the proof it on the wall it is HUGE

That's possible.

The Giant Canada Goose, by Harold Hanson shows records of two 16-lb, one 17-lb, and one 19-lb Giant Canada Geese from Illinois.

You can get some measurements from your friend's stuffed goose that will lend credibility to its weight.

Measure:the length of the culmen, and the width of the culmen at the midpoint of the nares.

There are some other measurements too, but those two are a good start.

Tom*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

goose

Postby Gene1057 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:22 am

my friend got an 18lber last week and me and some buddies got some 13 pounders monday goirng tomorow but my friend did get an 18 like a week or 2 ago
Gene1057
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:32 am

Then is he gonna send it in?
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Honker Guide » Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:47 pm

Most of the recorded weights of the giant Canada goose were taken from birds that were in a captive breeding program where they were fed a special diet to up their weight. So if you are using Hanson as a guide for your heavy geese, you need to think again. Everyone that has called me with a goose over 15 lbs. has reweighed and found the weight to be only around 14 lbs. Now if there is a 15 lb goose out there it will probably come in the late resident season as they are putting on weight for the upcoming breeding season. Paul
Hunt with the best equipment you an afford; it will make a difference!!

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/
Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby berettaguy17 » Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:14 pm

thank you tom i thought people would think i was stupid for putting that on here but its true its massive
Why not shoot all 3 shots, they make more shells everyday.
berettaguy17
hunter

Postby davecz » Mon Jan 28, 2008 8:21 am

Feb nusance season soon, I might get another 23 pound goose, maybe this time I will send it in :biggrin:
2010-2011 season totals
davecz
hunter

Postby Tom Phillips* » Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:47 pm

Honker Guide wrote:Most of the recorded weights of the giant Canada goose were taken from birds that were in a captive breeding program where they were fed a special diet to up their weight. So if you are using Hanson as a guide for your heavy geese, you need to think again. Everyone that has called me with a goose over 15 lbs. has reweighed and found the weight to be only around 14 lbs. Now if there is a 15 lb goose out there it will probably come in the late resident season as they are putting on weight for the upcoming breeding season. Paul

Some of Hanson's data comes from captive flocks, not all of it, and the measurements of the big captives tend to agree with the huge wild geese that have been reported.

I hope the GIANTS are out there, but I almost never see a large goose photo with the classical Giant (maxima) markings. So, I think most people are shooting HONKERS out of populations that can not produce the huge geese. That doesn't mean they don't exist.

Here's a paragraph from Hanson:

"The largest geese I measured at the Rond Lake Waterfowl Station had wing spans of 76 1/2, 76 1/2, 76, 74 1/2, 71 1/2 inches. One of the geese with a 76 1/2 inch span had a flattened wing measurement of 566 mm (22 1/4 inches), the longest of any measured in this study. At the North Dakota Schoool for the Deaf, Devils Lake, a coptive with a wing span of 76 3/4 iinches was measure (flattened wing measurement of 555 mm). At Delta, Manitoba, the goose with the greatest length of flattened wing had a span of 73 inches. An 18 3/4-pound goose killed in Oakes, North Dakota, in 1947, was reported to have a wing span of75 3/4 inches (Fig. 8). However, most of the large adult males in the various populations of maxima have wing spans between 69 and 71 inches. In contrast, large adult males of interior have a wing span of about 66 inches." (The Giant Canads Goose, Hanson. p. 26)

It's peculiar, but I just shot my largest Canada goose ever yesterday along with a smaller goose. The big one was 13 pounds even, weighed on a shipping scale. It was about 40 1/2 inches in length, and depending upon how one stretched the wings, it's wingspan was 74 to 75 3/4 inches. I shot two twelve-pounders a few years back that had 72, and 74 inch wing spans, but most of my othe Canada geese have had wingspans no where near that wide (even down to the high 50-inch range). Those usually are 8-11 lbs.

Tom*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby Honker Guide » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:37 pm

Tom, if you re-read that Hanson report, the goose that was supposed to have weighed 18 3/4 lbs had a "reported" wingspan of 75 3/4 inches. Not much bigger than the geese you have measured so I assume we can say that the weight was also "reported". This is how all of these giant geese have come to be. Look at that 13 lb goose of yours and tell me if you really think that your goose could have been flying around with another 6 lbs of body weight!!! That is beyond the realm of possibility. I have had several hunters that have taken the giants this year with the light eyebrows and they thought they were 16+ lbs. but when they reweighed them, they were less than 15 lbs.

By the way, you should get that 13 lb goose mounted as that is a real trophy!! Paul

Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby #1wingnut » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:19 am

13.4 on a digi scale I'm getting close but this was a BIG OLD oakie.
I'm not sure I can do much better.
banded in Oklahoma in 1996 harvested in California 2008 :thumbsup:
#1wingnut
Super Moderator

Postby Tom Phillips* » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:49 am

Honker Guide wrote:Tom, if you re-read that Hanson report, the goose that was supposed to have weighed 18 3/4 lbs had a "reported" wingspan of 75 3/4 inches. Not much bigger than the geese you have measured so I assume we can say that the weight was also "reported". This is how all of these giant geese have come to be. Look at that 13 lb goose of yours and tell me if you really think that your goose could have been flying around with another 6 lbs of body weight!!! That is beyond the realm of possibility. I have had several hunters that have taken the giants this year with the light eyebrows and they thought they were 16+ lbs. but when they reweighed them, they were less than 15 lbs.

By the way, you should get that 13 lb goose mounted as that is a real trophy!! Paul

Paul,

The goose I shot didn't seem any different than others until I picked it up, then I noticed that it was a lot heavier than usual. It's WAY too late to have it mounted as it is in pieces. I did save the head and lower legs for measurements. It had very little fat on it, so I could see it easily weighing another couple of pounds. It's hard to say.

I think there is so much old data that seems reliable, that even if there was/is a LOT of exaggeration, I still think it is likely that the GIANTS exist/existed. I would love to see the real evidence, much as you would. I know there is one game farm that sells both CANADA HONKERS (10-12 lb), and GIANT CANADA HONKERS (14-20 lb), so the genetic stock seems to still exist.

Here is a photo of the 13 pound goose I shot on Sunday along with a 9 1/2 pound goose:

Here is a photo of the goose Hanson referenced as having the 75 3/4" wingspan, and weighing 18 3/4 pounds:

Here is a photo of a goose supposedly weighing 19 1/2 pounds. (This one looks like it might be legitimate to me):

So your advice is to keep and mount a 13 pounder? I may never get another one. I will say that I saw ONE goose this year that was much too far away for me to have a shot at, but it was HUGE. It had to have been twice as large as the others.

I thought about your contest, and I probably would have taken it, had I had the chance. But watching it I had mixed feelings about killing it. I thought it was so magnificent, that it should live. I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice, and it's still out there. :smile:

Tom*
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby davecz » Wed Jan 30, 2008 1:34 pm

thought about your contest, and I probably would have taken it, had I had the chance. But watching it I had mixed feelings about killing it. I thought it was so magnificent, that it should live. I'm glad I didn't have to make the choice, and it's still out there.

Tom*

Same thing happend to me I saw a 28+ pound goose walking in our decoys, couldnt fly because it was so huge, I did not want to shoot it because it was so magnificent, later that day I was bowhunting and passed on a 350 inch Whitetail, but decided to shoot a spike instead.
2010-2011 season totals
davecz
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:57 pm

I'd like to enter the goose in my right hand. I swear it's gotta be close to 15 lbs!!! :biggrin:

On a more serious note, here are a couple big ones. The one crappy picture was a GIANT goose I shot during the 2nd year geese were open (I'm 5'11" 230 lbs...just to give you some reference to the sheer magnitude of the goose)
Quack Kills.

United States Sportsmen's Alliance Member
NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby Tom Phillips* » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:05 am

Quack Addict wrote:I'd like to enter the goose in my right hand. I swear it's gotta be close to 15 lbs!!! :biggrin:

Cool micro-goose! :thumbsup:

(It must have been one of those high-density geese.) :biggrin:
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby carbenz » Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm

Seriously Paul - you need to have a contest for the smallest goose. There'd be a lot more submissions.

I went back and read through alot of this thread - and all these guys who claim to have shot all these monster geese - and find it totally amazing that nobody could nail a 15 pounder this season! I like to think a goose that big exists, but the proof is in the pudding, and so far this whole thread is nothing but 9 pages of nonsense!
2009 Totals:

Days hunted: 11
Canada Geese: 1
Mallards: 16
Pintails: 4
Wood Ducks: 0
Widgeon: 1
Greenwing Teal: 6
Gadwall: 0
Bands: 0
carbenz
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:06 pm

carbenz wrote:Seriously Paul - you need to have a contest for the smallest goose. There'd be a lot more submissions.

I went back and read through alot of this thread - and all these guys who claim to have shot all these monster geese - and find it totally amazing that nobody could nail a 15 pounder this season! I like to think a goose that big exists, but the proof is in the pudding, and so far this whole thread is nothing but 9 pages of nonsense!

I could nail at least a 13 pounder down the road...as long as no one saw me. :yes: I may have seen 15 pound ones (am not 100% sure though), but the biggest I have actually weighed was 13. I don't goose hunt, but if I shot a 15 or 18 lber or whatever I would probably send it, $200+ of decoys sounds like it's worth the trouble.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Honker Guide » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:11 am

Those Dropzone decoys are worth almost $800 a dozen. On another note. Those old pictures are fun to look at, but that one looks more like a swan than a goose. I have never seen a goose that was tapered like that!! Also, that guy looks like he is about 5 feet tall. It is easy to make things look different than they really are. The big goose is becoming harder to come by as evidened by this contest, but there are still plenty of the original maximus geese in the midwest. Paul

Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby Tom Phillips* » Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:11 pm

Honker Guide wrote: On another note. Those old pictures are fun to look at, but that one looks more like a swan than a goose.

I have never seen a goose that was tapered like that!! Also, that guy looks like he is about 5 feet tall. It is easy to make things look different than they really are. The big goose is becoming harder to come by as evidened by this contest, but there are still plenty of the original maximus geese in the midwest. Paul

Paul,

It does look like a swan, doesn't it? Except for the wings, and the hunter does seem short, but he's holding what appear to be "normal" HONKERS in his other hand.

You obviously have a copy of Hanson's The Giant Canada Goose, so you know that he writes that the Giant often was referred to as "the swan goose." I hope that we will see a big one soon. As I mentioned earlier, I have seen one HUGE goose in my life that was completely outsize from all the others I've ever seen.

Thanks for putting on the contest. It sure has cut down on the number of 15-20 pound geese that have been shot. :yes:

I'm hoping that someone crushes the 15-pound mark with a whopper. That would be sweet.

As an aside, I think Quack Addict's micro goose would be a real trophy.

We could call that type "the teal HONKER." :biggrin:
Tom Phillips*
hunter

Postby Quack Addict » Mon Feb 04, 2008 7:33 pm

Now I'm wishing I mounted that micro-goose! I'll probably never see/shoot another one that small! It's kinda like it was a dwarf-cackler or something. Plus it woulda looked pretty cool next to my standing 14 pound honker! :rofl:

(On a side note: I shot a beautiful dwarf-sprig once. Coolest little duck ever. Shoulda mounted that one too...oh well. Never think about mounting the small ones I guess! :tongue: )
Quack Kills.

United States Sportsmen's Alliance Member
NRA Member
CWA Member
DU Member
Quack Addict
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:52 am

We see little geese every year. Around the first week of November they pass through. They are only slightly larger than a mallard. I really want to get one of these little guys. I shoot 10-12 lb'ers all the time. The real trophies around here are the little ones :huh: My smallest is a small lesser ~6 lbs. Never even got a shot at the Cacklers.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:43 pm

anyone know if this contest is still on? I have had two canada's flying over my house this spring that are unusaully large and come 9-1 I will be gunning for them. They have flown over close enough to see the band :yes: on thier legs
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby gadwall getter » Sat Apr 19, 2008 7:52 pm

i think its still on the other 8 pages are just full of i seens and i thought i seen a 20 pounder.... so i think if you can get them to stay there until 9-1 you might be a serious competitor! go git em!
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Apr 19, 2008 8:00 pm

remington read the first post of the thread, this year it will be down to 14 pounds. I have shot 15 pound geese, just not last year. :thumbsup:
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole