18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, lostpup, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut

Postby Honker Guide » Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:40 pm

We can ship those decoys anywhere you want us to if you win the contest!! Paul
Hunt with the best equipment you an afford; it will make a difference!!

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/
Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby buck_uncle » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:22 pm

I thought this was a competition for smallest goose or something

here in ontario we get over 20 pounders everytime we go out

but thats whole

I know one year we got a 23 last year
buck_uncle
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:28 pm

#1wingnut wrote: :mad:

Someone with a sense of humor. I like that :lol:
jrp267
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:37 pm

Just shut yer little yapper and send in a 15lb goose then you can tell everyone where to stick it

In direct reply to my comment sure looks like he did. And I am not so little I happen to be 33yrs old 6' 0" 245lbs and I work construction. So watch who you call little.

He called your yapper little, not you. :tongue: :lol:
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby jrp267 » Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:22 pm

You dont get this big with a little yapper. It takes large quanities of meat and potato's.
jrp267
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:57 pm

Two seasons ago I shot a goose that before cleaning weighed 18 lbs 3oz and me and my hunting buddy each got a couple that were just over 16 lbs but most of the geese that are taken by us and people we know run about 12 to 14 lbs. So if I or some one else shoots a goose that weighs over 15 lbs you want what? A picture of it and an affidavit of its weight from an official set of scales such as those at a post office?
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby harvey1b » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:43 am

Greg Wile wrote:Two seasons ago I shot a goose that before cleaning weighed 18 lbs 3oz and me and my hunting buddy each got a couple that were just over 16 lbs but most of the geese that are taken by us and people we know run about 12 to 14 lbs. So if I or some one else shoots a goose that weighs over 15 lbs you want what? A picture of it and an affidavit of its weight from an official set of scales such as those at a post office?

:thumbsup: yeah, that seems like a better way to do it. who knows how much it will weigh and what condition it will be in after it gets frozen and shipped across the country.
harvey1b
hunter

Postby SpinnerMan » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:28 am

What are the rules about shipping wild game? I definitely wouldn't try shipping it from Canada for a few decoys.
SpinnerMan
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:34 am

Off topic...but I do recall shoving a large bluegill back down the throat of a largemouth on the way to the scales. Dang thing kept coming up and I kept shoving down. :yes:

(incidently...it was from water soon to be converted to a condo place with no fishing so I took the bucketmouth home)!
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby yellodog1 » Fri Sep 28, 2007 2:49 pm

If someone does get an 18 pounder, we need to get some pictures of it posted on here.
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby ks_waterfowler » Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:08 pm

nobody will get an 18 lber. THe other site is much bigger and like this one many guys were claiming to get 18 and 20 lbers. Since this contest started it was put up of shut up and everyone has shut up. There may be one out there bigger than 15, but not much bigger. I will call BS on all these "big geese" you guys were claiming. Put them on good scales and believe me you will be surprised, i know I was.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:08 pm

I really want a 15 pounder. Actually I just want those awesome decoys. I didn't think to weigh any of my geese this year but I really doubt I got anything over 10 pounds.
what about weight loss? I don't know, but I would think a goose would lose weight the longer it's dead. kinda dehydrate maybe?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby davecz » Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:54 pm

My buddy wieghed the one on the left and I think it was about 13 pounds, dont remember for sure but it wasnt 15 and it was a big goose. So a 18 pound goose, although one is out there, will be hard to come by. And for shipping geese, you need your address on the outside and somewhere saying the species of waterfowl on the label outside the package, dont know about international shipping, check your laws before sending any waterfowl though.
davecz
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri Sep 28, 2007 7:43 pm

harvey1b wrote:
Greg Wile wrote:Two seasons ago I shot a goose that before cleaning weighed 18 lbs 3oz and me and my hunting buddy each got a couple that were just over 16 lbs but most of the geese that are taken by us and people we know run about 12 to 14 lbs. So if I or some one else shoots a goose that weighs over 15 lbs you want what? A picture of it and an affidavit of its weight from an official set of scales such as those at a post office?

:thumbsup: yeah, that seems like a better way to do it. who knows how much it will weigh and what condition it will be in after it gets frozen and shipped across the country.

That can't be trusted either. Whats to stop a cheater from pouring 2or 3 pounds of lead shot down it's throat before having it weighed??
It needs to be sent to the contest sponsor, X-rayed, then weighed.

Sorry to be so sceptical, but I've seen a lot of cheatin' in my day when it comes to the "Sportsman"...
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby Fowlercon » Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:08 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:nobody will get an 18 lber. THe other site is much bigger and like this one many guys were claiming to get 18 and 20 lbers. Since this contest started it was put up of shut up and everyone has shut up. There may be one out there bigger than 15, but not much bigger. I will call BS on all these "big geese" you guys were claiming. Put them on good scales and believe me you will be surprised, i know I was.

exactally!
"It is not the function of our Government to keep the citizen from falling
into error; it is the function of the citizen to keep the Government from
falling into error."
Fowlercon
hunter

Postby sdkidaho » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:59 am

Is the weight for the whole goose as it sits once its been shot, or cleaned?
If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:28 am

ks_waterfowler wrote:nobody will get an 18 lber. THe other site is much bigger and like this one many guys were claiming to get 18 and 20 lbers. Since this contest started it was put up of shut up and everyone has shut up. There may be one out there bigger than 15, but not much bigger. I will call BS on all these "big geese" you guys were claiming. Put them on good scales and believe me you will be surprised, i know I was.

It is certainly possible that there is an 18lb goose; I don't even goose hunt and the ones I see every day are 12-15lbs. The reason why no one sends their goose in is b/c they don't need decoys and and the contest isn't popular, and also if the goose would be in good condition when it got back. If I shot a goose that big I wouldn't send it in I would get it mounted, woudn't want to take any chances.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:37 am

come on shoveler shooter......these 12 to 15 you see everyday.....was it hard to get them on the scale? :biggrin:
anyone can call a bird 15 pounds but it dont mean a thing til it is on a CERTIFIED SCALE.....
to bad you dont want the dekes cause you seem like you got this one in the bag :yes: :yes: :yes:

NOT

oh yeah were the 12 to 15 pound geese hangin out with 9 to 11 pound mallards?
badabing1997
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:48 am

I don't shoot them because if I did I would probably get called in by the neighbors(my neighbors aren't the hunting type and I certainly don't trust them). I know they weigh that much b/c I shot one a couple years ago and it weighed 13lbs, and there were bigger ones in the flock. What would I do with field goose decoys???!! Are you kidding me? I have no access to any fields. The only waterfowling I can possibly do is over water. If 13lb geese are shot all the time, then why not 15lb or 18lb? You live in MASSACHUSETTS, not Oklahoma, you have no idea what you're talking about, so shut your trap unless you have facts and not assumptions. It makes things frustrating when people say stuff they don't know is a fact. That goose weighed 13lbs, that is a fact. And there is a 90% chance there is a goose bigger than 13lbs in that flock. That wasn't a fact because I haven't wieghed a 15lber, but out of a flock of 50 geese probability tells you that one will weigh more than 13lbs. If you haven't seen the flock yourself, then you have no right to deny it. Especially if you live over 1000miles away.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

the loose goose

Postby SWAMPFOX' » Sat Sep 29, 2007 4:37 pm

An 18 lb goose is a friggin monster! I once thought I had a big daddy it's band indicated it was at least 17 yrs old. I went the local feed ans seed and weighed it on usda certified scales. It was just ounces over 15 lbs. I thought for sure it would've weighed 17-19 lbs. Matter of fact it cost me 10.00 I am for certain if I shot a goose that weighed 18 or plus EVERYBODY and their Mama is going to know about it.
I've hunted almost everyday of my life the rest are just wasted

"Prettiest little town in Dixie"
SWAMPFOX'
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 6:57 pm

hey shovler pecca head...you are a **** freshman in high school and you tell me to shut my mouth and i dont know what im talkin about....you little puke....wait til you sprout a pubic hair before you mouth off
at least you could win the dekes and sell em for big coin since you can shoot soooo many large honkers....get a clue and watch what you post before your mommy catches you and takes away the family computer
badabing1997
hunter

Postby sdkidaho » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:23 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:What would I do with field goose decoys???!!

You could give them away to someone that could use them.

You could sell them on ebay.

You could sell them in your local want-ads paper.

You could sell them in the classifieds here or any number of other hunting forums.

You could give them to me. :yes:

I certainly I won't shoot a 15 pound goose so I'd be happy for you to go out and win those dekes for me. I never saw any geese last year that were even remotely close enough to even take a shot at, let alone close enough to see what they weighed.

As for the rest of the crap being posted, man, some of you guys need to kick back and chill out just a bit.

If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby yellodog1 » Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:27 pm

Click on the link below. Read the article.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/fishwild/publicat ... cangse.htm
Hunt Vermont
yellodog1
State Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:44 pm

badabing1997 wrote:hey shovler pecca head...you are a **** freshman in high school and you tell me to shut my mouth and i dont know what im talkin about....you little puke....wait til you sprout a pubic hair before you mouth off
at least you could win the dekes and sell em for big coin since you can shoot soooo many large honkers....get a clue and watch what you post before your mommy catches you and takes away the family computer

I still stand behind what I posted. I don't think I went overboard, because when I see something and know for sure and they say I'm wrong and they live 1000+ miles away, and they haven't seen it, it's considered an insult and I'm not too happy with that. Obviously, you got pretty mad, and looked at my information, and tried to use it against me. And this was because I said, "shut your trap". :yes: In my opinion that's pretty funny(also lame). I had plenty reason to tell you to shut up so there's nothing wrong with it, whether I'm a freshman in high school or not. I think you messed with the wrong person, and by the way your reply was lame, about 90% of it was garbage. :lame:
Last edited by shoveler_shooter on Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:46 pm

I guess I could sell the goose decoys if I got them, I was really frustrated at the time so I didn't think of that.

And the article says some males exceed 20lbs, so it is definitely possible to kill geese between 15 and 20lbs.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole