18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter

Re: 18 lb goose

Postby diggerduck » Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:07 am

:fingerpt: help keep the thread alive
No Trespassing:
Violators will be shot
Survivors will be violated
diggerduck
hunter

Postby MOSSBERG935 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 am

GreenHeadHarvest wrote:
PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Never shot a 15 pound goose but did shoot a 13 pound green wing teal this year. Wish I would have taken a pic of him but never thought about it. :lol3:

No way 13 puond teal????????????????????? :bow:

once...i saw an elephant that could fly....no seriously...
MOSSBERG935
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:20 am

I shot a 17.344489999567 lb goose this year, but I don't have a pic to prove it, and I ate it...would let you guys see the band from it, but I'm selling it on ebay as a unreported band so I can fund my snow goose hunting this year.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby PTROOFER FTFOWLER » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:57 am

MOSSBERG935 wrote:
GreenHeadHarvest wrote:
PTROOFER FTFOWLER wrote:Never shot a 15 pound goose but did shoot a 13 pound green wing teal this year. Wish I would have taken a pic of him but never thought about it. :lol3:

No way 13 puond teal????????????????????? :bow:

once...i saw an elephant that could fly....no seriously...

I had that same damn elephant come into my spread, unloaded my gun on him but never brought him down. Should have been shooting Hevi-shot I guess. Also once shot a 27 pound goose with a neck band, double reward band, oarnge feet and a third eye, but didnt have my camera with me. Lost it the week before trying to take a quick pic of a sasquatch that hangs out in my yard.
I'm the type of guy who "cups" his hand over his butt, farts, and dishes it out like a soup kitchen.
PTROOFER FTFOWLER
hunter

Postby modrobb326 » Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:24 pm

Check out these HOGS!!!!! Im not reallll sure...but...id have to say the one goes 450 and the other...prolly closer to 500lbs :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: .............AT LEAST :hammer:
Attachments
039.jpg
036.jpg
09' 10'
70 Ducks Deer - 10
13 Geese Turkeys - 1
0 Bands Crows - 2
1 Pheasant
1 Grouse
1 Deer
3 Feral Pigs

07' D Max 8'' Fabtech on 37's
16ft Beavertail 20hp Vangaurd
870 Express Super Mag Ducks Unlimited Edition
modrobb326
hunter

Postby Papachessie » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:17 pm

modrobb326 wrote:Check out these HOGS!!!!! Im not reallll sure...but...id have to say the one goes 450 and the other...prolly closer to 500lbs :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: .............AT LEAST :hammer:

Pigmies!! :lol3:
Jarbo03 wrote:Those two are nothing but life support systems for vaginas
Papachessie
hunter

Postby pgquackstacker » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:21 pm

Papachessie wrote:
modrobb326 wrote:Check out these HOGS!!!!! Im not reallll sure...but...id have to say the one goes 450 and the other...prolly closer to 500lbs :grooving: :grooving: :grooving: .............AT LEAST :hammer:

Pigmies!! :lol3:

PIGLETS! :clapping:
pgquackstacker
hunter

Postby modrobb326 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:50 am

Its pertty awesome when u can fit two whole pigs in one crock pot!! Tastes goooooood :smile:
09' 10'
70 Ducks Deer - 10
13 Geese Turkeys - 1
0 Bands Crows - 2
1 Pheasant
1 Grouse
1 Deer
3 Feral Pigs

07' D Max 8'' Fabtech on 37's
16ft Beavertail 20hp Vangaurd
870 Express Super Mag Ducks Unlimited Edition
modrobb326
hunter

Postby Sparks0812 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:00 pm

This goose came came up to my hip, so about 39" long. How much would that weigh?
Attachments
Geese.png
Screen Shot 2012-04-12 at 2.58.10 PM.png
Sparks0812
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Sparks0812 wrote:This goose came came up to my hip, so about 39" long. How much would that weigh?

17.1lbs. Try again Sparkie.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:16 pm

Don't know, but do know Honker Guide's well publicized contest started at 18lbs and was down to 15lbs before someone could claim the dozen Dropzone decoys.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:23 pm

12 or 13 lbs . What do I win ?
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby pork4life » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:45 pm

He posted it in '07 so you would have won if no one else has.
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:29 pm

OK, I have to ask... who won the contest?
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 1:27 pm

I guy on the west coast I believe with a 13lb bird?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Preacher1011 » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:35 am

I think the winner posted in this thread. Go through it and read. If it's not there, try the search button.
Locked&Loaded wrote: I got out shot by a 13 yeard old girl.

jrockncash wrote:Is that mask only for ghosts or can fat guys with little weiners use it too?

Preacher1011
Forum & State Moderator

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Jul 07, 2012 6:59 am

I read through the whole thread and couldn't find any posts regarding the winner, or how much his bird weighed. I also tried search and nothing... I did both of these before posted the first time. maybe my search skills are weak.... :huh:
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:26 am

This subject comes up a lot.
There is more than one sub-species of Canada Goose.
There are Giants, Lessers, Greaters, and possibly one more. The scientists aren't sure.
The Giant Canada Goose subspecies was believed to be extinct in the 1950s until, in 1962, a small flock was discovered wintering in Rochester, Minnesota. In the 1960's The Illinois Dept. of Conservation located a flock, captured some, and brought them to Illinois to be released.

There are TONS of Giant Canada geese in central Illinois.
If you want a 20-pounder...go to Chicago and shoot one that hangs out at one of the many ponds by the big corporate headquarters all along the interstate highway.
They say the 20-pounder don't exist but I say it does. I've shot all three sub-species of Candian Geese and when you shoot a Giant, you know it. They sound different as well. Their calls are much deeper than the other two sub-species.

A little bit about the Giants. They fly at night and don't hardly migrate at all.
The entire migration for a Chicago Giant goes something like this. They fly to my house at around Christmas because the snow gets too deep for them to feed up north. For some reason there's a "weather hole" in Champaign county. It will snow everywhere BUT here and then the geese show up in massive numbers.
Eventually we get covered up in snow too and the geese migrate all the way to Mattoon or as far south as Effingham or a little further but that's about it. Then when the snow melts two weeks later they come back.
I call it "the bounce".
Giant geese are the kings of the sky in the goose world. They lead the others around and actually prevent them from migrating(my opinion). There is always a large bunch that show up and just won't leave no matter how cold or harsh the weather gets.

There are really heavy geese out there. Don't give up on the 18-pounder but where you live it might be a while.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:32 am

Thanks aunt betty! I won't give up on the 18 pounder, scouts honor
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby pvn6616 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 7:36 am

"I SHOT THE BIGGEST MALLARD IN THE WORLD"

Way back when in the early days of my hunting career a bunch of us young hunters had enjoyed a morning shoot and were all back at home base discussing our mornings hunt when an aquaintance pulls up in his car and gets out telling us he just shot the biggest mallard in the world!!! He opens his trunk and there is what looked like a 20 lb Farm Mallard! What an ******. We tell him that there's no way this duck flew into his decoys, he swears he did...we know he didn't. Needless to say I never hunted with him. I don't think I'll ever forget the thought of some poor housewife searching for her pet duck...
“The perils of duck hunting are great- especially for the duck” Walter Cronkite
pvn6616
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:11 am

aunt betty wrote:This subject comes up a lot.
There is more than one sub-species of Canada Goose.
There are Giants, Lessers, Greaters, and possibly one more. The scientists aren't sure.
The Giant Canada Goose subspecies was believed to be extinct in the 1950s until, in 1962, a small flock was discovered wintering in Rochester, Minnesota. In the 1960's The Illinois Dept. of Conservation located a flock, captured some, and brought them to Illinois to be released.

There are TONS of Giant Canada geese in central Illinois.
If you want a 20-pounder...go to Chicago and shoot one that hangs out at one of the many ponds by the big corporate headquarters all along the interstate highway.
They say the 20-pounder don't exist but I say it does. I've shot all three sub-species of Candian Geese and when you shoot a Giant, you know it. They sound different as well. Their calls are much deeper than the other two sub-species.

A little bit about the Giants. They fly at night and don't hardly migrate at all.
The entire migration for a Chicago Giant goes something like this. They fly to my house at around Christmas because the snow gets too deep for them to feed up north. For some reason there's a "weather hole" in Champaign county. It will snow everywhere BUT here and then the geese show up in massive numbers.
Eventually we get covered up in snow too and the geese migrate all the way to Mattoon or as far south as Effingham or a little further but that's about it. Then when the snow melts two weeks later they come back.
I call it "the bounce".
Giant geese are the kings of the sky in the goose world. They lead the others around and actually prevent them from migrating(my opinion). There is always a large bunch that show up and just won't leave no matter how cold or harsh the weather gets.

There are really heavy geese out there. Don't give up on the 18-pounder but where you live it might be a while.

There is 11 different subspecies I think. We have 7 on the pacific coast, I have to pass an ID test to hunt geese in my area. Anybody got a pic of these huge geese?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:09 am

Here's one that we had aged by the local biologist 3 years ago at 11 years old. It came from a flock of loacal birds that never leave the county unless there is a serious freeze and even then they just bounce south about 100 miles at most. The "kid" in the pic (this was his first goose ever) stands just shy of 6' tall. Anybody care to guess the weight of this "monster"??? BTW, I'm almost 6', 3" tall and I have a 79" reach. The wing tips were just out of my reach on both sides...
Attachments
chris's monster honker.jpg
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby jehler » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:15 am

looks like a 12-13 poundbird to me
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby OGblackcloud » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:28 am

I would think by the walk way and park geese in the back ground that your one of Foiles pro staff.
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:53 am

dsm16428 wrote:Here's one that we had aged by the local biologist 3 years ago at 11 years old. It came from a flock of loacal birds that never leave the county unless there is a serious freeze and even then they just bounce south about 100 miles at most. The "kid" in the pic (this was his first goose ever) stands just shy of 6' tall. Anybody care to guess the weight of this "monster"??? BTW, I'm almost 6', 3" tall and I have a 79" reach. The wing tips were just out of my reach on both sides...

Being that you took the picture from darn near ground level and he's holding it out, it's pretty tough to tell anything about it.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole