18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Re: 18 lb goose

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:54 am

jehler wrote:looks like a 12-13 poundbird to me

Yuppers! :thumbsup: Just a shade over 13 pounds.

OGblackcloud wrote:I would think by the walk way and park geese in the back ground that your one of Foiles pro staff.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I HATE Foiles!! It was indeed on a golf course hunt though, where the manager lets me hunt to keep the geese off. There was almost no snow that week after a little warm up and we had residents and migrators and even some lessers hitting it hard! Right at about 10 am, about 2 1/2 hours after this pic was taken about 900 birds came in and we were already picking up and headed out. The course manager is going to hunt with me this season after he saw the birds we took out of there. :thumbsup:
Big Al's "Take-Em" Style Silhoutte Decoy Pro-Staff.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
Don't do anything you wouldn't want to admit to the paramedics after.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 9:59 am

Tealer wrote:There is 11 different subspecies I think. We have 7 on the pacific coast, I have to pass an ID test to hunt geese in my area. Anybody got a pic of these huge geese?

Being that everyone and their mom now knows that they came from Rochester, and that it is one of the largest breeding populations of them, you can't get a decent hunt within 60 miles of the city. Nevermind the fact that they don't ever leave the city limits. Even if you do find birds that leave to hit the fields to feed, guides have locked up all the land around there so hard that you will have to pay to hunt them.

Maybe I should go steal a couple babies and raise them on the pond next to my house. Start my own population of them :devil:
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:00 am

goldfish wrote:
dsm16428 wrote:Here's one that we had aged by the local biologist 3 years ago at 11 years old. It came from a flock of loacal birds that never leave the county unless there is a serious freeze and even then they just bounce south about 100 miles at most. The "kid" in the pic (this was his first goose ever) stands just shy of 6' tall. Anybody care to guess the weight of this "monster"??? BTW, I'm almost 6', 3" tall and I have a 79" reach. The wing tips were just out of my reach on both sides...

Being that you took the picture from darn near ground level and he's holding it out, it's pretty tough to tell anything about it.

Not that angle has a thing to do with it, but I was sitting up on my knees in my layout when I took the pic and he IS NOT holding the bird out. It's right up against his chest. I have been goose hunting going on 30 years now. I have seen THOUSANDS of dead geese on the ground and we get more than our fair share of bigguns up here. 10 - 12 pounders are very common around here until we start getting in migrators and then the weights go down considerably. This wasn't the largest bird I have ever seen or taken, not even close, but it does show how scewed most hunters' ideas of just how big...or small a goose realy is when you put them on the scale. He thought that bird weighed AT LEAST 16 pounds. Didn't believe me when I told him it didn't weight an ounce over 14 if that which it ended up not even comming close to that.
N.O. Outdoors Guide Service, President and CEO. "You try harder so we don't have to."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:06 am

You've been goose hunting for 30 years and are still into DSMs? Does the crank walk help you get thru muddy fields :hi:

I thought you were asking everyone here what it weighed, didn't know you were testing everyone and knew the weight.

goldfish
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:13 am

goldfish wrote:You've been goose hunting for 30 years and are still into DSMs? Does the crank walk help you get thru muddy fields :hi:

I thought you were asking everyone here what it weighed, didn't know you were testing everyone and knew the weight.

Don't get the DSM or crank walk reference. :huh:

Yes I knew the weight. In my first post I eluded to the fact I had a biologist friend of mine age him. What alot of guys don't realise is that a 15 pound...or bigger goose is the size of a male wild turkey! That should put it into perspective on just how big those old 20 pounders from the breeding flocks actually were... :eek: Now imagine a 15 + pound goose the size of a LARGE hen or jake turkey. You can see where most guys way overestimate weights.
dsm16428
hunter

Postby goldfish » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:20 am

I take it your name is not in reference to cars...

DSM = Diamond Star Motors = Mitsu Eclipse and Plymouth Lazer. They had motor problems. It's cars for the Fast and Furious crowd, but almost a little before their time now I suppose.

Not sure where you live, but in MN they do get big birds, but like I said, they are tough to get at and are usually pretty wise to the ways of the world to be able to reach that size. They don't leave very far when it gets cold either.

goldfish
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:32 am

goldfish wrote:I take it your name is not in reference to cars...

DSM = Diamond Star Motors = Mitsu Eclipse and Plymouth Lazer. They had motor problems. It's cars for the Fast and Furious crowd, but almost a little before their time now I suppose.

Not sure where you live, but in MN they do get big birds, but like I said, they are tough to get at and are usually pretty wise to the ways of the world to be able to reach that size. They don't leave very far when it gets cold either.

Nope. Those are my initials. :lol: I had a cousin with a Lazer. What a POS that thing was no doubt! Yeah, We get a TON of residents here and a TON of hnters too but most don't wana put in the time or effort to hunt them correctly. Don'tcha just love the weekend warrior? :no: The local birds are imo, harder to hunt by far than any migrator. They've seen and heard it all from every ding bat in a field with a poorly mudded and stubbled blind and a new goose call that sounds like somebody beating a cat to death on a chalk board! When I know we're gonna have both hitting a spot, I'll let the migrators land and fart around in the spread just so we can get a shot at the residents. Like they say the best decoy on earth is a live bird right? :thumbsup:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jul 07, 2012 10:34 am

goldfish wrote:
Tealer wrote:There is 11 different subspecies I think. We have 7 on the pacific coast, I have to pass an ID test to hunt geese in my area. Anybody got a pic of these huge geese?

Being that everyone and their mom now knows that they came from Rochester, and that it is one of the largest breeding populations of them, you can't get a decent hunt within 60 miles of the city. Nevermind the fact that they don't ever leave the city limits. Even if you do find birds that leave to hit the fields to feed, guides have locked up all the land around there so hard that you will have to pay to hunt them.

Maybe I should go steal a couple babies and raise them on the pond next to my house. Start my own population of them :devil:

A live pic with something to use as a reference would do.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby goodkarmarising » Sun Jul 08, 2012 4:38 pm

I shot a 20 lb canada goose and 15 lb snow goose, but we had them made into jerky and the camera got left at home that day.
Only number that matters, retrieves by the pup: 176
Cooper: 15
Proud owner of 2 non hunt trial/field trial fire breathers
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby BGipson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:13 pm

dsm16428 wrote:Here's one that we had aged by the local biologist 3 years ago at 11 years old. It came from a flock of loacal birds that never leave the county unless there is a serious freeze and even then they just bounce south about 100 miles at most. The "kid" in the pic (this was his first goose ever) stands just shy of 6' tall. Anybody care to guess the weight of this "monster"??? BTW, I'm almost 6', 3" tall and I have a 79" reach. The wing tips were just out of my reach on both sides...

Sorry to tell you bud, but the biologist was feeding you BS when he "aged" your bird. He probably didn't want to appear incompetent so he made up a number. There is nothing on a goose that can give you a means of measuring age past ~1 year (deer use teeth, fish use otoliths, etc.). The only age differentiation that can be made in waterfowl is "current hatch year" or "adult" and this is done with the bursa of fabricius and feathers. Actually I recant a portion of my statement, drakes in certain species of waterfowl don't attain full plumage until their second season but this is irrelevant to geese so my initial assessment stands.
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

18 lb goose

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:15 pm

BGipson wrote:

Sorry to tell you bud, but the biologist was feeding you BS when he "aged" your bird. He probably didn't want to appear incompetent so he made up a number. There is nothing on a goose that can give you a means of measuring age past ~1 year (deer use teeth, fish use otoliths, etc.). The only age differentiation that can be made in waterfowl is "current hatch year" or "adult" and this is done with the bursa of fabricius and feathers. Actually I recant a portion of my statement, drakes in certain species of waterfowl don't attain full plumage until their second season but this is irrelevant to geese so my initial assessment stands.

not true, you can cut them in half and count the rings
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby BGipson » Sun Jul 08, 2012 6:39 pm

jehler wrote:
BGipson wrote:

not true, you can cut them in half and count the rings

How could I forget this method!?! Such a rookie mistake on my part!
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Botiz630 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 7:11 pm

Bush league, Gibson, bush league. Even I knew that, and I can't even tell the boys from the girls!
Holy Molly
Botiz630
Forum Moderator

18 lb goose

Postby jehler » Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:45 pm

A guy named Hochbaum taught me that, figured everybody knew
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby dsm16428 » Sun Jul 08, 2012 10:03 pm

BGipson wrote:

Yeah, just going off what I was told so easy there Mr. Wizard. :bow:
dsm16428
hunter

Postby BGipson » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:40 am

Sorry if I came off too rough. I was just trying to raz ya. I majored in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences but have tried to focus my work on waterfowl. That bursa I mentioned is actually really cool because only young birds have it and it helps boost their immune system as they are growing up. Then it slowly disappears as they get older. It's the lack of a bursa that allows someone to tell if a bird is older than a year. Now the other method is looking at feather tips, but this isn't as sure a thing. With hatch year birds, the flight feather tips are going to be rough and ratty, whereas older birds will have nice flight feather tips because they have just finished molting and regrowing these feathers. That concludes today's lesson, now next time that biologist tries to feed you a line you can call bs and teach him something :grooving:

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:49 am

Somewhere in this thread I said there were three sub-species of Canada goose and possibly a fourth. Someone else posted that there are eleven...I'd like to hear the names of the other 8 sub-species.
I got Giant, Lesser, and Greater so what are the others called and how can you tell them all apart?

Giant Canada Geese are huge and when you finally shoot one and hear it hit the ground, you go, "OMG" and start hootin' and hollerin' like Chad Belding. :yes:

Atlantic Canada Goose, Interior Canada Goose, Moffit's Canada Goose, Ducky Canada Goose?
Been hunting a long time and I never heard of the above geese. Are there any special limits on them?
They all look alike to me...wild goose with a black head and neck, white patches on the face, and a brownish-gray
body.

The more I dig, the crazier it gets. According to my source a Cackling Goose was considered a Canada Goose until 2004 when the American Ornithologists' Union committee decided that they were two separate species.?

The whole "wild goose chase" thing comes to mind.
Last edited by aunt betty on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby OGblackcloud » Mon Jul 09, 2012 6:58 am

Cacklers
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:03 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cackling_Goose
This is confusing. Held a dead goose last year that was just a wee bit bigger than a canvasback duck.
I suppose it was a cackler. We called it a lesser. I guess it's the same thing.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

18 lb goose

Postby flightstopper » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:34 am

I've heard richardsons and Aleutians thrown out there. Don't hold me to it
Indaswamp wrote:
Bgold wrote:Finally just got to use mah .45 on a living thing...

you named your junk .45???? :huh:
flightstopper
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:39 am

We shoot 18 lb canada geese so often here in KS/MO that we just turn them into jerky.
goodkarmarising
hunter

Postby BenellisbeII » Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:59 am

We shot a few 13 pounders this past season, I thought those were huge could imagine a 15+ pounder.
BenellisbeII
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:37 pm

BGipson wrote:Sorry if I came off too rough. I was just trying to raz ya. I majored in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences but have tried to focus my work on waterfowl. That bursa I mentioned is actually really cool because only young birds have it and it helps boost their immune system as they are growing up. Then it slowly disappears as they get older. It's the lack of a bursa that allows someone to tell if a bird is older than a year. Now the other method is looking at feather tips, but this isn't as sure a thing. With hatch year birds, the flight feather tips are going to be rough and ratty, whereas older birds will have nice flight feather tips because they have just finished molting and regrowing these feathers. That concludes today's lesson, now next time that biologist tries to feed you a line you can call bs and teach him something :grooving:

It's all good. I got that, hence the little bowing guy. :beer: I did take another resident bird of very similar looks and size a year or two earlier (gotta look at the band certificate for the date) that was banded 10 years before I stopped all his future birthdays. :thumbsup: He started to get that nice grey unibrow and I gotta say, it took some marinating to tenderise his old butt!
dsm16428
hunter

Postby dsm16428 » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:40 pm

aunt betty wrote:Somewhere in this thread I said there were three sub-species of Canada goose and possibly a fourth. Someone else posted that there are eleven...I'd like to hear the names of the other 8 sub-species.
I got Giant, Lesser, and Greater so what are the others called and how can you tell them all apart?

Giant Canada Geese are huge and when you finally shoot one and hear it hit the ground, you go, "OMG" and start hootin' and hollerin' like Chad Belding. :yes:

Atlantic Canada Goose, Interior Canada Goose, Moffit's Canada Goose, Ducky Canada Goose?
Been hunting a long time and I never heard of the above geese. Are there any special limits on them?
They all look alike to me...wild goose with a black head and neck, white patches on the face, and a brownish-gray
body.

The more I dig, the crazier it gets. According to my source a Cackling Goose was considered a Canada Goose until 2004 when the American Ornithologists' Union committee decided that they were two separate species.?

The whole "wild goose chase" thing comes to mind.

DU recognizes 7. Here's an exerpt from a short DU article. "There are 7 recognized subspecies of Canada geese: Atlantic, Hudson Bay or Interior, Giant, Moffitt's or Great Basin, Lesser, Dusky and Vancouver."
dsm16428
hunter

Postby goodkarmarising » Mon Jul 09, 2012 12:42 pm

Good thing we don't have to know all 7 or more subspecies here in the midwest.
goodkarmarising
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole