18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby gadwall getter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:04 pm

i just dont get it. how can you guys fight over something this dumb. ya i bet you there are 18's out there but that doesnt give you guys the right to call others on here liars. sure they might be but whats the point of arguing??? its a contest for fun not to get angry at eachother.
DUCKS ARE GOOD EATS. EAT WHAT YOU KILL.
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:19 pm

All I did was tell what I saw and had experienced, and he basically called me a liar, so it's not my fault.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
We will call him the 10ga man
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:26 am

ya i know. if people say they saw an 18 pounder you dont have to come out and call them a liar. just dont say anything at all cuz if you call them a liar were gonna end up having stupid little fights like this one.

so settle it down. :thumbsup:
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:20 am

Actually we were arguing over 12-15lbers, but oh well it still doesn't matter.
UmatillaJeff wrote:By his very nature this tends to be a modest man who is loved by woman, children and dogs and well though of in all social circles.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Re: 18 lb goose

Postby HNTFSH » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:27 am

Honker Guide wrote:I have had a contest ongoing for 3 years with this being the 4th year. It started as a contest for an 18 lb Canada goose and when nobody won, we have dropped it each year, one pound. This year it is 15 lbs. The winner will get a dozen of our DropZone decoys worth almost $800. The goose has to be sent to me for verification.
The reason I started this thread is that I had a guy call the office acouple of days ago and he told them he had shot a 15 1/2 lb goose. I didn't hear from him again so I posted up the deal on another website and today he answered and said that the goose was not 15 lbs when he weighed it on a good scale. It seems as though his fish scale was not quite up to par.
Anyway, if any of you guys shoot a big goose or hear of someone who has shot a 15lb + goose, have them get a hold of us and we will give him shipping instructions. We will ship it right back after verifying the weight. With all the stories of big geese, it is time for someone to win this contest!!! One further note, a tame Canada goose that has been fed up to gain weight to win the contest will not qualify. Paul

Guys:

It seems to me like this is just a contest with a good prize. Ship a 15+ pounder to Honker Guide and get some nice dekes. Any energy other than that is just wasted.
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby GooseSlayer14 » Sun Sep 30, 2007 11:46 am

yes there are 18+ pounders out there....2 years ago my dad shot a 22 lb canada
"If it flies it Dies"
GooseSlayer14
hunter

Postby gadwall getter » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:00 pm

now thats a huge goose!!! :thumbsup:
gadwall getter
hunter

Postby Honker Guide » Sun Sep 30, 2007 4:14 pm

22 lb goose! wow that must have been a doozy!! That's bigger than most swans. Nice going. Now lets see with this contest going on if anyone can even break the 15 lb mark this season. Good luck. Paul
Hunt with the best equipment you an afford; it will make a difference!!

http://www.aerooutdoors.com/
Honker Guide
DHC Sponsor

Postby jrp267 » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:29 pm

Bigger than most swans. Not here. Trumpeter swans easily have a wingspan of 5 feet. They are huge. Maybe not as heavy but definitly bigger than any goose.
jrp267
hunter

Postby sdkidaho » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:11 am

sdkidaho wrote:Is the weight for the whole goose as it sits once its been shot, or cleaned?

:help:
If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby Brydog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 4:29 pm

sdkidaho wrote:
sdkidaho wrote:Is the weight for the whole goose as it sits once its been shot, or cleaned?

:help:

I think just the breast ! :huh: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :tongue:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby sdkidaho » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:38 pm

If that's the case then I'm going to Cali for one of those geese that has implants.
If you must burn our flag, please wrap yourself in it first.
sdkidaho
hunter

Postby Brydog » Thu Oct 04, 2007 8:41 pm

Silicone Valley ? :rofl:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby mtlenway » Thu Oct 04, 2007 11:19 pm

I happen to be the Dad who shot the 22lb goose two years ago. I was outside of Rochester, Minnesota during the late season of 2005. Although it was not weight on a "certified scale," I did weigh it on a high quality meat scale I use for processing wild game for smoking. I think the extra weight came from all of the lead bb's in it (j/k only steel here). By the way that was dead weight and not dressed out (gutted).

And yes, that Bird was a hog, I was amazed it was flying, I really did even realize how big it was until we laid all of the geese out for pictures. It look like a standard goose next to a bunch of mallards instead of geese. I was only my second year of goose hunting so I really didnt appreciate its size, until I was told there was a contest at one of the local gun shots giving away an new browning gold for the biggest goose. My loss.
mtlenway
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:23 am

Opening day here (Oct., 01) we shot 8 geese the largest was 12 1/2 lbs with the rest between that and 10 lbs, as the season progresses and the flocks from up north filter down we do get into some larger birds, weather any of them will be in the winning weight range or not who knows. But for me to ship a goose for this contest and then have them ship it back.............. well if you could stand to get next to it to clean it I doubt if you would and you certainly would not eat it. :rofl:
Build memories, take a kid out doors and teach them about nature by interacting with it, hunting and fishing.

Learn from the past, don't dwell on it.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Brydog » Fri Oct 05, 2007 6:26 am

:huh: Dry Ice.... :tongue:
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby trck drvr » Sun Oct 07, 2007 6:49 am

i wish i would'a known about this contest, i shot a 30 pounder last year. :thumbsup:
trck drvr
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Sun Oct 07, 2007 8:29 am

wheres the picture?
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby Bill Collector Bob » Sun Oct 07, 2007 11:37 am

A 30 pounder or a 30 pointer?? :huh: :rofl:
"Go afield with a good attitude, with respect for the wildlife you hunt and for the forest and fields in which you walk. Immerse yourself in the outdoor experience. It will cleanse your soul and make you a better person." -Fred Bear
Bill Collector Bob
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Sun Oct 07, 2007 12:57 pm

trck drvr wrote:i wish i would'a known about this contest, i shot a 30 pounder last year. :thumbsup:

Are you kidding?
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ncduckkiller » Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:02 pm

Bill Collector Bob wrote:A 30 pounder or a 30 pointer?? :huh: :rofl:

Both stories would be equally unbelievable, I didn't say it didn't happen just unbelievable.
If you hunt WITH your kids now you won't hunt FOR your kids tomorrow.
ncduckkiller
hunter

Postby NorthCoaster » Mon Oct 08, 2007 9:23 am

Shot this one last year, I have no idea on the weight, but it was the biggest honker I have ever put down!

Those deeks sure would be nice

Duck hunting is a learning experience, if you don't learn something new on every trip you aren't really hunting.
NorthCoaster
hunter

44 LB. Honker!!!

Postby carbenz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:23 am

I shot a 44 pound goose last year. As you can see in the picture, each of these geese is 40+ LBS, shoot, those greenheads were 14 lbs. each! Anyway, I stood on my scale and weighed 200lbs, then I picked up that old goose and the scale said 244!!! It was one of them digital scales, so I know it was calibrated.

It was the biggest damn good I ever saw. I think it looks nice in the back of my raised, full-sized pickup.

Too bad I didn't know about the contest!

Last edited by carbenz on Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
2009 Totals:

Days hunted: 11
Canada Geese: 1
Mallards: 16
Pintails: 4
Wood Ducks: 0
Widgeon: 1
Greenwing Teal: 6
Gadwall: 0
Bands: 0
carbenz
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:33 am

I think just these stories alone probably weigh a good 35lbs! :lol:
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby NHDuckHunter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:59 am

HNTFSH wrote:I think just these stories alone probably weigh a good 35lbs! :lol:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Amazing!!! Simply amazing. I have read these stories on fishing forums, but never on a duck hunting forum. You guys are nuts!!!

I am guessing that most of you are kidding.... right? Northcoater? Carbenz? You two are kidding? I hope...
NHDuckHunter
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole