18 lb goose

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Postby davecz » Mon Oct 08, 2007 1:27 pm

we use a saint bernard as our retriever because the smallest goose we shoot is 44 pounds 50 and 60 are quite the norm :lol:
davecz
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 3:02 pm

Yesterday I put 3 #Ts in goose about 100lbs with my 10ga but it just kept going. I guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger gun. :lol:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:26 pm

http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... p?t=564225

15 is big big goose. I call BS straight up on all these 18. Contest has been on going on for years now and one hasnt been takin yet. Amazing what a good scale will do instead of just estimating. I would call any of these folks a liar to their face.

This contest has been going for years now. When it started there were plenty of blowhards like many of you that said "We shot a 22 lb goose last year". We also heard wish I would've known that last year. Paul started this contest to prove a point. Not only does it get him great advertising, but he is pretty safe with those decoys.

All you 18 and 20 lb goose shooters put your money where your mouth is. Lets make some bets. I would be willing to go $50 that this prize goes unclaimed on certified scales. I am not talking about the scales I use to process my meat, I am talking about going to the butcher and asking him to put them on his scale that are inspected every year by the state for accuracy. COme on, with all you 16, 18 and 20 lb goose shooters I ought to get some takers. We can even send the money to Paul and let him send it to the winner if he is down with that.

Put up or shut up gentleman it is that simple, and I bet alot of you shut up.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 6:43 pm

I can believe 18 pounds because I seen a 17 pounder last season. But 40 pounds is bullsh!t! :rofl:
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:04 pm

water_swatter01 wrote:I can believe 18 pounds because I seen a 17 pounder last season. But 40 pounds is bullsh!t! :rofl:

17 lber is bullshit
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby Goosekiller06 » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:11 pm

haha what about the 44lbers and the mallards over 15lbs!! HAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ya right!
GET YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF MY BANGSTICK!
08/09 Season Totals
Snipe-5
Shovler-1
Geese-11
Mallards-2
Greenwings-1
Bluewings-3
Pintails-
Gadwall-17
RedHeads-
Widgeon-6
Woodies-7
Goosekiller06
hunter

Postby NorthCoaster » Mon Oct 08, 2007 7:37 pm

I am guessing that most of you are kidding.... right? Northcoater? Carbenz? You two are kidding? I hope...

Well like I said I have no idea what it weighed, and I simply stated that it ws the biggest honker I have ever shot. Nowehere in my post did I mention how much it weighed becuase I never weighed it.

Honestly I was just hoping for some estimations to the size ('cause I have no clue)

Those decoys would nice, and I'm sure that everybody would agree on that - and that's all I meant by that. Maybe, one of us will get lucky and win them this year.

Hope that clears the air.

NC
Duck hunting is a learning experience, if you don't learn something new on every trip you aren't really hunting.
NorthCoaster
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:16 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:
water_swatter01 wrote:I can believe 18 pounds because I seen a 17 pounder last season. But 40 pounds is bullsh!t! :rofl:

17 lber is bullshit

Apparently you have never seen a big goose. And if you read an earlier post it is proven that there are 20+ pound geese. In case you don't know, there are the 3-6lb cacklers(Which I think is what you are keying off of), the average size Canadas (7-12lbs) and the giant canadas (13-20 something). These aren't exact, but I think you get the point. And I take it you have never heard of a greater/giant canada goose which has been discovered to be over 20lbs. :rolleyes: And again, you have no right to deny him unless you were there, and 17lbs is definitely not going over the top. Apparently you haven't read much of this thread or something... :rolleyes:
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:36 pm

ks_waterfowler wrote:http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/showthread.php?t=564225

15 is big big goose. I call BS straight up on all these 18. Contest has been on going on for years now and one hasnt been takin yet. Amazing what a good scale will do instead of just estimating. I would call any of these folks a liar to their face.

This contest has been going for years now. When it started there were plenty of blowhards like many of you that said "We shot a 22 lb goose last year". We also heard wish I would've known that last year. Paul started this contest to prove a point. Not only does it get him great advertising, but he is pretty safe with those decoys.

All you 18 and 20 lb goose shooters put your money where your mouth is. Lets make some bets. I would be willing to go $50 that this prize goes unclaimed on certified scales. I am not talking about the scales I use to process my meat, I am talking about going to the butcher and asking him to put them on his scale that are inspected every year by the state for accuracy. COme on, with all you 16, 18 and 20 lb goose shooters I ought to get some takers. We can even send the money to Paul and let him send it to the winner if he is down with that.

The reason why no one sends their goose in is because they have already cleaned it or mounted it, and killing a goose that big does not happen very often for 1 person. The biggest goose I have killed was 13lbs, and it was really big. But there are geese even bigger out there, and it has been proven, even though no one sends it in. Most hunters know that there is probably a contest, but they don't want to wait so long and would rather just get it mounted immediately. And also the hassle of transporting it, keeping the goose from being spoiled, etc. No one wants to put forth the effort to do it, just for a couple dozen decoys, which are expensive and good quality, but still, no one really wants decoys that bad. If I shot a 18lb goose I would not have the time to do all of this. I would barely have enough time just to get it mounted by a taxidermist; heck I don't have enough time to hunt, let alone figure out how to transport a goose across the U.S. I am not trying to defend tall tales, but that was plenty of good reasons why people don't send their goose in. And again it is very insulting to call someone a liar when you live miles away from them and weren't even there when the event occured.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Oklahomaflash » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:41 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:Yesterday I put 3 #Ts in goose about 100lbs with my 10ga but it just kept going. I guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger gun. :lol:

where you been hunting at the tulsa zoo or at the park........ :lol: :lol:
Oklahomaflash
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:42 pm

Oklahomaflash wrote:
shoveler_shooter wrote:Yesterday I put 3 #Ts in goose about 100lbs with my 10ga but it just kept going. I guess I'm gonna have to get a bigger gun. :lol:

where you been hunting at the tulsa zoo or at the park........ :lol: :lol:

:lol: At the zoo. They have been feeding those geese a lot lately. :yes:
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby Oklahomaflash » Mon Oct 08, 2007 8:44 pm

Goosekiller06 wrote:haha what about the 44lbers and the mallards over 15lbs!! HAHAHAHAHA :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: ya right!

and where you been hunting at the nucular facility that Homer Simpson works at :lol: remembering a 3 eyed fish
Oklahomaflash
hunter

Postby davecz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:13 am

shoveler_shooter wrote:

The reason why no one sends their goose in is because they have already cleaned it or mounted it, and killing a goose that big does not happen very often for 1 person. The biggest goose I have killed was 13lbs, and it was really big. But there are geese even bigger out there, and it has been proven, even though no one sends it in. Most hunters know that there is probably a contest, but they don't want to wait so long and would rather just get it mounted immediately. And also the hassle of transporting it, keeping the goose from being spoiled, etc. No one wants to put forth the effort to do it, just for a couple dozen decoys, which are expensive and good quality, but still, no one really wants decoys that bad. If I shot a 18lb goose I would not have the time to do all of this. I would barely have enough time just to get it mounted by a taxidermist; heck I don't have enough time to hunt, let alone figure out how to transport a goose across the U.S. I am not trying to defend tall tales, but that was plenty of good reasons why people don't send their goose in. And again it is very insulting to call someone a liar when you live miles away from them and weren't even there when the event occured.

for a dozen decoys worth about 800, I think a LOT of people would ship a 15 plus pound goose, I would, I am going to weight everyone of my big geese this year, I would love those dekes
davecz
hunter

Postby carbenz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 11:38 am

"I am guessing that most of you are kidding.... right? Northcoater? Carbenz? You two are kidding? I hope..."

Kidding? Hell no! There's at least 250 lbs. of meat in the back of that truck. You guys haven't lived until you've seen the size of Washington Ducks and Geese.
2009 Totals:

Days hunted: 11
Canada Geese: 1
Mallards: 16
Pintails: 4
Wood Ducks: 0
Widgeon: 1
Greenwing Teal: 6
Gadwall: 0
Bands: 0
carbenz
hunter

Re: 44 LB. Honker!!!

Postby davecz » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:59 pm

carbenz wrote:I shot a 44 pound goose last year. As you can see in the picture, each of these geese is 40+ LBS, shoot, those greenheads were 14 lbs. each! Anyway, I stood on my scale and weighed 200lbs, then I picked up that old goose and the scale said 244!!! It was one of them digital scales, so I know it was calibrated.

It was the biggest damn good I ever saw. I think it looks nice in the back of my raised, full-sized pickup.

Too bad I didn't know about the contest!

did you need an ATV to haul out those geese. I think you might need a new scale, those geese are not 40+ pounds
davecz
hunter

Postby Brydog » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:19 pm

:rofl: ,,,,, :tongue:
“I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer God than you do. When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours.”
~Stephen Roberts
Brydog
Banned

Postby txmarshmaster » Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:34 pm

Shot it with a pellet gun.. caught him riiiight above the eye :rofl:

Does he quailfy for some decoys?!
Cade Woodall
COVE, TEXAS

-------------------------------------------------------
Tracker Grizzly 1648 Blind Duck Ed. 2004 Johnson 40hp JetDrive

Alumacraft 1436 Completely Decked w/23hp Go-Devil LT
txmarshmaster
hunter

Postby Rdneckhnter09 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:40 pm

now you tell me after i already ate him, i shot two this yr that weighed almost 16 :skeet:
Travis Brown, Stanley NC

As we express our gratitude, we must never forget that the highest appreciation is not to utter words, but to live by them.
John F. Kennedy
Rdneckhnter09
account suspended for advertising/promo

Location: sit'n on a creek bank underneath a shade tree MONTANA

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:18 pm

shoveler_shooter wrote:

You are an idiot. Thousands of hunters (and guides) from another site with some of the biggest geese in the country (think il or Mn)have been trying for 5 years with no success. Face it, 17 lbers arent out there or he wouldnt quit lowering the weight. It was 16 last year, and many blowhards like yourself said oh we shoot those all the time and this will be easy. People start weighing them and 17lbers turn into 13lbers. You gotta be a know it all teenager. If you know it all put your money where your mouth is. Either put up or shut up. If you dont put up then shut the he!! up cause you are making yourself look like an idiot. I will put a $100 dollar bill that a 17 lb goose will not be shot this year. All you 17lb goose shooters better jump all over this.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:26 pm

Last years thread on the fuge for you to read

19 pages worth. Lots of 16s taken before the contest, guess how many when they had to really weigh them 0

FOr your reading pleasure
http://www.refugeforums.com/refuge/show ... se+contest

I remember why I left this site. All you real hunters who shoot like 30 ducks and 30 geese a year with 2 years experience and you think you know it all. I am headed back over the where the big boys play. Peace Out.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby water_swatter01 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 5:54 pm

I never said I killed the goose, but I did see it get weighed on a certified scale, and it read 17 lbs.
water_swatter01
hunter

Postby badabing1997 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:22 pm

wow ks waterfowler..."you must be a know it all teenager"\
thats what i told the idiot like 2 weeks ago....i agree with you 100 percent
when you break out the scale a lot of people STOP shootinthere mouth off
a 14 pounder is rare, a fifteen...once in a great while, a16....near none existant.........and a 17.....BULLSHIT
badabing1997
hunter

Postby stumpjumper » Tue Oct 09, 2007 7:31 pm

I shot my first goose this weekend. I TAUGHT it was a big bird from the splash it made. When I picked it up I taught of this thread. So I went and weighed it on certified scales, 10.2 pounds. A 18 pounder must be freaken huge. Hats off to you if your shooting 15 pounders and above.

STUMP
'Lord, hold our troops in your loving hands. Protect them as they protect us. Bless them and their families for the selfless acts they perform for us in our time of need. Amen..'
stumpjumper
Forum & State Moderator

yea right

Postby DRAKE PICKER » Tue Oct 09, 2007 8:21 pm

I shot a 15 pounder yesterday but then i woke up from my nap. and those geese in the back of that truck went 44 pounds if you weighed them all together other than that you have no clue. up here in minnesota we shoot alot of big geese but nothin 15 pounds or bigger.
STICK AND STAY MAKE THEM PAY
DRAKE PICKER
hunter

Postby smitht » Tue Oct 09, 2007 9:40 pm

ks waterfowler i dont think it would hurt anybody's feelings if you left the site again talkin down to people the way you do. you talk like ur God's gift to hunting!!
smitht
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole