Legal Ways of hunting

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, lostpup, #1wingnut, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter

Legal Ways of hunting

Postby Woodywoodduck » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:39 pm

If someone was to hunt ANYTHING Legally and you saw them and did not agree with it, Would you Complain?

I'm trying to see what the attitudes here would be!?

I'm the type, If it is LEGAL and still is not my way of hunting, I have no right to Complain or try to take that way of hunting away from that other guy or guys! :thumbsup:

If the ANTI's Do not like it, So WHAT! they don't like any type of hunting, So why should I side with them and complain about a guy legally hunting!

How do you others feel?
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby gahunter » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:53 pm

If it is legal I'm all for it. Two years ago the GA DNR made it legal to hunt with a crossbow during archery season. :thumbsdown: I didn't want it to happen and am still not a fan of the law change, but I'm OK with it because it is legal. I feel that crossbows are cheating, because there is no drawing or anything involved. It's like shooting a gun as far as I'm concerned. If you are going to archery hunt use a damn bow. :pissed: I'm going off on a tangent, but I'm just venting a little. Some people probably consider compound bows in the same way I do crossbows, but at least you have to pull them back. I could go on and on, but I will stop.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Sun Mar 06, 2005 7:58 pm

gahunter wrote:If it is legal I'm all for it. .

^^^^That is about all you need to say! :thumbsup:
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby Snaph » Sun Mar 06, 2005 8:15 pm

I don't like baiting. I don't bear hunt, but I think it is weak when people hunt garbage piles for bear. I was watching Hunting 201 with Kim Hicks on OLN. He was hunting monster buck over a feed pile. WEAK!!!! They dumped a 5 gallon bucket of peas or green beans, then covered it with hay to keep the birds out of it. That to me is the same as hunting a salt lick. If people want to plant feed and hunt it, that is one thing. But to dump food and hunt a blind 30 yards away is cheap. We can not hunt standing corn in PA...I think that is a good call.
Snaph
hunter

Postby tstrong » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:09 pm

If it's legal and I had a difference of opinion I would ask a few questions on why they hunt that way. If it's legal, it works for me.
tstrong
hunter

Postby SCoutdoorsman » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:29 pm

Legal = OK for me
Everyone must believe in something and I believe I'll go hunting. When men bond something must die.
SCoutdoorsman
Forum & State Moderator

Postby shrpshtr » Sun Mar 06, 2005 9:55 pm

:withstupid:

(gotcha again SC... :laughing: )
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:14 am

If it is legal, not only am I for it, I want to try it. I look at it like this. If it is legal, and you don't take advantage of it, someone else sure will. I used to look at bear hunting like that, I never saw a live bear in the wild while hunting other game such as deer, so I thought , "why hunt them, there isn't an overabundance, obviously!" But then I shortly realized that other people were still applying for the permits and still harvesting the bears, so I said at that point that , "I might as well get a piece of the action" after all, by me not bear hunting wasn't preventing others from doing it. It is also legal in this state to hunt over bait for bear and deer. In the northern part of the state you would have a hard time harvesting a deer if you didn't hunt over bait. The reason being that your neighbor is baiting, and the deer flat out won't come on your land unless you can offer them something like your neighbor is. Bear hunting would be inconceivable without bait. Bear are basically nocturnal animals and only venture out in daylight trying to fill their stomachs. There are a plethera of rules and regulations that we may not think are ethical and just, but we need to (as hunters) stick together and not quarrel amongst ourselves over the things we believe are right and wrong. Like Woody stated in the past, that is the ammunition that the anti's feed off. Diversity within a group is the key factor in breaking a group apart. We need to stick together, and not make it public even if we don't necessarily agree with a method of hunting. :thumbsup: Wings cupped, Pete
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Woodywoodduck » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:23 am

Snafu518 wrote:I don't like baiting. I don't bear hunt, but I think it is weak when people hunt garbage piles for bear. I was watching Hunting 201 with Kim Hicks on OLN. He was hunting monster buck over a feed pile. WEAK!!!! They dumped a 5 gallon bucket of peas or green beans, then covered it with hay to keep the birds out of it. That to me is the same as hunting a salt lick. If people want to plant feed and hunt it, that is one thing. But to dump food and hunt a blind 30 yards away is cheap. We can not hunt standing corn in PA...I think that is a good call.

Snafu,
:laughing:
Could you Narrow it down to
YES, if it was Legal, you would have No Problem and would not Complain?
OR
No, Even if it was Legal, I'd Still Complain and have a Problem with it??

Now, I BEG to Differ with you!

With Permission from the farmer and even on SGL's, You can hunt Standing Corn in PA! :thumbsup:
I'm going to Assume, You pass up that Standing Corn when you hunt pheasants??
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:37 am

Pete-pec wrote: Like Woody stated in the past, that is the ammunition that the anti's feed off. Diversity within a group is the key factor in breaking a group apart. We need to stick together, and not make it public even if we don't necessarily agree with a method of hunting. :thumbsup: Wings cupped, Pete

WOW Pete, You said it better then I could! :thumbsup:

Don't want to go Dragging things from 1 site to another, but this is something that REALLY Gets my Feathers all Ruffled!

Some Guys put a Sneak on a BIG Flock of Snow Geese. As far as everyone knows, they were LEGAL! We do not know, if they used a Vehicle to find these Geese, so we are Assuming they didn't and were in the right area at the right time.

Well, they Smacked the Heck out of them and Dropped alot! Had Cripples running around and they went to chaseing them and Wind Milling Necks or Knocking heads with Gun Barrels!

A "Hunter" Watched this Unfold and decided to Degrade these guys for doing Something LEGAL! He also stated, a Nonhunter watched it and was discussed about it. If it would have been me, watching this unfold and a Nonhunter or Even an Anti Hunter was there and Said they were Discussed about it, I would have Explained, They Were Legally hunting and Doing what needed to be done to all Cripples!

So, With that Said, How do you guys still Feel?

As for the Topic of Baiting. The PGC Might just as well legalize it! What is the Differance in planting to intice animals to your area, over dumping the Byproducts of the plants?

We can plant all we want, hunt over it as long as we do not Disturb it, but we can not place Corn, Seeds, Veggies or the likes out to do the same as the plants would do!

I have thought about that for many years now and can Still Can NOT understand it!
Planting, OK
Placing, WRONG!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby had » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:01 am

pete-pec wrote:
If it is legal, not only am I for it, I want to try it.
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

legal=ok
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:01 pm

Woodie isn't that a bit harsh ? Doing what needed to be done to all Cripples!
How would you feel if you were crippled? :laughing: :laughing:

If its legal no problem and yeh I might give it a try.

Baiting deer here is legal mainly to keep the nimrods from getting lost and possibly shot by some other nimrod. I have never hunted this way as I like to still hunt or to trail watch.
Baiting birds no way. :thumbsup:

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're working cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 5:05 pm

gahunter wrote:If it is legal I'm all for it.

actually, i may not like it....but if it's legal who am i to say anything.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gsphunter » Mon Mar 07, 2005 6:07 pm

Woody I don't understand this either. People take a corn kurnel put it in the ground and up pops a whole ear or two of corn. Take that same corn kurnel and put it in a bucket of feed for deer, and that is wrong? Don't know how that is explained. It is illegal to bait in Missouri for deer. All feeders must be removed I think two weeks before season. I don't know if I would bait or not, but I just can't understand the difference.

Anyway Legal = OK with me.
gsphunter
hunter

Postby ol' yeller » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:53 pm

If it's legal then who am I to push my "ethics" on someone. If I'm invited to hunt with someone and they want to water swat every duck, shoot deer under feeders or stalk snows that's all fine and dandy with me. I was invited and it's their show. If anything they want to do is illegal I just pack my stuff up and go.
ol' yeller
hunter

Postby Snaph » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:09 pm

I guess I have to over explain myself about this "baiting" issue. First, No I do not hunt standing corn for pheasant. If baiting is legal....fine. This is just my stupid opinion. I just think it is weak. If you are hunting a trail that leads to planted food, OK cool. If you are hunting a 5 gallon bucket of corn in a blind, 30 yards away, the deer come to everyday seems cheap to me. Baited hunts just seem like a "shooting fish in a barrel" situation. If people do it and it is legal, that is cool with me...I just won't do it cuz that is how I feel about it. I understand what a lot of you are saying, I just see it different. And I don't think you are wrong in your opinions, This is just how I feel.
Snaph
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Tue Mar 08, 2005 6:47 am

Snafu518 wrote:I guess I have to over explain myself about this "baiting" issue. First, No I do not hunt standing corn for pheasant. If baiting is legal....fine. This is just my stupid opinion. I just think it is weak. If you are hunting a trail that leads to planted food, OK cool. If you are hunting a 5 gallon bucket of corn in a blind, 30 yards away, the deer come to everyday seems cheap to me. Baited hunts just seem like a "shooting fish in a barrel" situation. If people do it and it is legal, that is cool with me...I just won't do it cuz that is how I feel about it. I understand what a lot of you are saying, I just see it different. And I don't think you are wrong in your opinions, This is just how I feel.

Snafu,

You make me laugh! In a Good Way! :thumbsup: :laughing:

Now, let me try for you 1 more time.......Please, Take out the Baiting and INSERT "ANY LEGAL Hunting Methoid"

In my First post, I didn't Single out any Type of Hunting.....I just asked
Woodywoodduck wrote:If someone was to hunt ANYTHING Legally and you saw them and did not agree with it, Would you Complain?

We all pretty much have gotten off onto the Baiting Subject, Which isn't what I wanted.....I just want to see, if guys would Complain or Not of ANY TYPE of LEGAL hunting if they did not do it, yet someone else did???
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby Snaph » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:45 pm

CRIPES. Look, If is legal...great. If it is legal to raise a monster buck in a pen in your back yard and you blast your 10 year old 150 point buck while it licks your hand... and it makes you feel better...good for you. I guess I missed the whole point. If I saw somebody doing something legal and I did not agree with it I would say nothing. So no, I would not complain. (sigh)
Snaph
hunter

Postby puddlerjumper » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:00 pm

I try to keep my opinions to myself unless I'm asked, but most things legal, I'm OK with. Spinners, no, I don't like them. If I'm invited to hunt with someone and they want to use spinners, thats fine, because I'm the guest. But if someone is coming with me, I do not allow the use of spinners.
As for the Topic of Baiting. The PGC Might just as well legalize it! What is the Differance in planting to intice animals to your area, over dumping the Byproducts of the plants?
I think its the work that you have to put into it is what makes people agree or disagree with it
puddlerjumper
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Sun Mar 13, 2005 8:53 pm

I don't hunt anything but Bears over bait as this is the only way we are alowed to hunt them. We can hunt deer over bait but I would rather ask a farmer if I could shoot one of his beef animals when they come in to the feed trough. I however do not knock those that chose to hunt this way as it may be the only way they can get a deer legaly.

Keep the sport alive turn in a poacher.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby duckdog » Mon Mar 14, 2005 12:21 am

IF IT'S LEGAL IT'S ALL GOOD. As for the crippled bird part earlier in the post I have been in that situation where a non-hunter told me it was inhumane to break a neck of a wounded bird. Itold her that it was better than letting the bird sit and die a slow death, or getting off to the weed's and dying of injurie's, or waiting for a yote, fox, or a mink to come along and finish the job. Nature can deal a much harsher hand than man can.
Any day in the outdoor's is better than at work
duckdog
hunter

Postby donell67 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:27 am

if its legal its fine. nothing about ringing a gooses neck is inhumane.
donell67
Forum & State Moderator

Return to The Honey Hole