Baiting

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Baiting

Postby Woodywoodduck » Mon Mar 07, 2005 7:36 am

Who can bait and for what?

Who can not bait?

Here in PA, We can not bait, but we can Plant seeds and let them grow out in the Middle of NO WERE and hunt over it aslong as we do not Disturb the plants to make the Seeds fall to the ground faster or Knock Down corn and such.

What do you other guys have in the way of Baiting?

What can you bait and with what?
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby had » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:22 am

here what you plant needs to be part of regular farming. a farmer can (and many do) plant crops for dove if he farms them. and there are many places that cattle feed is all over the ground but it is for cattle, but the doves come to it like mad.
This site is about having some fun, learning, helping others, and enjoying the commaradre' of other waterfowl hunters. And if you do not like those 4 things, then do not let the door hit you on the way out of here.
had
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Mon Mar 07, 2005 8:26 am

we can bait here in parts of SC for deer/hogs. in the county i live in, on private land you can bait on public you can't. you can also hunt fields used for agricultural farming for just about anything that will eat it. i believe that you can plant fields for dove, etc. as long as you turn them under a certain amount of time before you hunt them.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:39 am

Legal here. The only thing that I can say that might be a problem, is that we now have cronic wasting disease (CWD) here, and by baiting deer, the DNR believes that concentrating deer in one area (bait pile) may actually spread the disease.
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:24 pm

no legal baiting here that i am aware of. it was recently passed into law that we cannot even hunt bears over bait any longer.

no bait...no dogs.. the bears and cougars are having an easy time of it around these parts.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Greg Wile » Mon Mar 07, 2005 2:44 pm

We have to hunt bears over bait except during deer season and we can bait for deer if we so wish.

Keep takin those shooting lessons, I think they're helping cause your starting to get some tail feathers.
Greg Wile
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:58 am

Pete-pec wrote:Legal here. The only thing that I can say that might be a problem, is that we now have cronic wasting disease (CWD) here, and by baiting deer, the DNR believes that concentrating deer in one area (bait pile) may actually spread the disease.

good point.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby DUKHTR » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:08 pm

baiting is not hunting in my opinion......but I guess that some peeps do whatever they can to get a deer.....I especially have disdain for the numerous TV shows showing corn littered roads attracting deer, or a box blind sitting 50 yards from a spreader.......that is sooooo bogus IMO

I also do not feel that planting crops or other food plots specifically for wildlife is appropriate....deer need to survive and grow on their own.....seems some folks make too much of a deal about antler size.....why don't they just manage the herd appropriately by not taking young bucks?
DUKHTR
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gahunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:40 pm

Don't worry, deer do fine on their own despite food plots. If you ever hunt over one, you will quickly see that it is by no means a sure thing. It isn't really any different than hunting over a stand of productive oaks. Back to the original question, the only thing that you can legally bait in GA is fish.
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:55 pm

That's why it say's DEER CORN on the bag!!! :hammering:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby Woodywoodduck » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:09 pm

Quackcephus wrote:That's why it say's DEER CORN on the bag!!! :hammering:

:umm: and that means??

So it says Deer Corn, does that mean, Squirrels, Grouse, Doves, Pheasants, Turkey, Bear, KNOW not to eat it?
Our youth are the Back Bone to hunting of the Future. Teach them WELL!
Woodywoodduck
hunter

Postby duckbuster » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:40 pm

here we can bait a field but then we can not leagally hunt it for 7 days after.
Just making my way the only way i know how!
duckbuster
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:23 pm

Something a Game Warden told me once upon a time... he had busted some guys for "baiting" & that was their answer at trial. :withstupid:

If any of ya'll are goin' to "plant" seeding plants to "enhance the habitat" be sure to check you local game laws & with the Game Warden... can save you alot of headaches, fines & losin' your huntin' rights later on. :hammering:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby what ever » Fri Mar 11, 2005 6:35 am

In Maryland we can bait for every thing except Turkey and Waterfowl, and I do. Managing the herd is fine but when you hunt a state that your average lease size is less than 250 acres it is kinda tough. It's not like you can go roaming a thousand or so acres and pick your perfect spot. You have to bring the deer to you and it's no cake walk. Do not mistake that I am making excuses for what I do if I had thousand acres to hunt I would just use more corn. Unless you are riding you horse from start to finish on your hunt and using all natural camo with no GPS no store bought cover sent or fancy pac boots just you your horse and your hand made hickory bow you have no right to put anyone else down. Everyone is intitled to there opinion this is mine IF IT'S LEAGAL GO FOR IT.
what ever
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:41 pm

what ever wrote:... Unless you are riding you horse from start to finish on your hunt and using all natural camo with no GPS no store bought cover sent or fancy pac boots just you your horse and your hand made hickory bow you have no right to put anyone else down. Everyone is intitled to there opinion this is mine IF IT'S LEAGAL GO FOR IT.

excellent point.
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:45 pm

duckbuster wrote:here we can bait a field but then we can not leagally hunt it for 7 days after.

I don't think you can bait at all. If you do it all has to be gone before you can hunt the field again.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole