waterfowl hunting...A thing of the past?

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

waterfowl hunting...A thing of the past?

Postby KO » Tue Mar 08, 2005 5:23 pm

I'll admit that I tend to look at the world thru grey colored glasses. Fueled more by what I've seen rather than what I'd like to see.

So here it is. I just finished reading the latest issue of wildfowl magazine. It came as no surprise to me, but it may to you or at the very least, motivate duck huunters to action.

The first article was "Season in Review" It was in reference to the Canadian waterfowl season 2004. In short I'll para phrase. " in 44 years of hunting, the best season for geese and one of the worst for ducks. Sadly alot of the article mentioned no young birds being present. Sounds like Minnesota. The article covered nearly all the provinces of Canada.

Next an article on Gale Norton signing the NAWMP...a good thing

That is until you realize that in 1986 when it was born...it called for a spring breeding count of 62 million birds....Today 32 million...nearly 20 years have passed and we are no where near the goal.....and as you read this....more acres are being lost......

Time to act
KO
hunter

Postby brucemacp » Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:23 pm

It is all well and good to be the prophet of gloom and doom however, and while I may or may not agree that it's time to act, the question is what is your proposal? What would you like to see happen? What one thing or combination of things will solve the problem. I assume you would all like us to be part of the solution, give us some ideas as you see it.
Kobie the wonder dog says" Hunting seasons over? Wake me up around noon"
brucemacp
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 10:11 pm

The #1 thing any hunter can do is weild a mighty weapon--the pen. Policiticians in Congress do pay attention to hand written letters by their constituants addressing your concerns. Stating that you would like to see some more of the AG subsidies diverted to wildlife reclamation/protection is one way. KO mentioned before that 131 Billion was spent on AG subsidies in the last 9 years alone. As some have said, it would be nice to see 10 or 20% of that money go instead into wet/grass land protection instead of making the the big AG Cos richer.

So write a letter as it is the single most powerful thing you can do to help fund to protect what is left of the Prairie Pot hole regoin where the vast majority of the ducks nest.

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby KO » Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:32 am

AMEN,

Nothing will change if hunter dont demand the political entity funnel money into restoring the habitat and stop the loss that is occurring. We've sat around too long. Any one who believes the ducks will comeback is a fool. They need habitat to comeback. sadly now Canada has learned that plowing and draining works. The articles proved one thing, the very place where the bulk of birds are produced is now not producing.

The big wigs in Washington have the money and power to do something. They need to motivated by us. Admin2 is right......We've poured billions into conservation thru DU and Delta.....but the habitat loss needs to stopped...and that will have to come from Washington.
KO
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:53 am

i agree w/admin2 about writing letters. i have done it over gun issues in the past and was overwhelmed at the attention it got. i think the next post here in this thread should contain a link on how to write/contact your representatives, local and federal. i will work on trying to find something, but if someone else already knows, feel free to post it.
shrpshtr
hunter

Sub-urban breeding

Postby Cupped-n-Committed » Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:54 am

This is an idea I had about helping breeding. When builders have to build communities they are required to make large wetland type collection ponds to collect the run off. Maybe we as hunters could build beeding nests in these community drainage ponds to encourage breeding in these areas. The birds would be in protected areas from hunters and most predators. They have to fan out as they reproduce to feed and then supply us with opportunity in the future. Maybe encourage communities to let nest be built so the neighborhoods could watch the ducklings in the spring. Everyone can win on resident populations.

Just floating an idea.
Cupped-n-Committed
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:03 am

In addition to writing letters. get involved with DU, Delta, or your local Duck Hunting Organiztions. volunteer time, attend fundraisers, or both...but do more than just send in your membership dues every year.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Trois_beaux_canards » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:05 pm

Here is an easy way to contact your congress people/representatives, it is through the NRA. Just follow the simple steps and you can begin to paste your letter and send it out. When/if they respond it can come directly to your email.

http://www.capwiz.com/nra/dbq/officials/
Trois_beaux_canards
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole