turkey locator call

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, steve-o, Preacher1011, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

turkey locator call

Postby shrpshtr » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:00 pm

hey all,

what kind of locator calls do you all use. i am going to try a crow call this year but have heard owls work well. what's the best method for finding them once they get up on the roost?
shrpshtr
hunter

Postby big_countryks » Wed Mar 09, 2005 12:06 pm

Owl works well for me, but I could probably get away with not using mine at all. Most of my turkeys come from farmland and a good set of binoculars and the right time of day is all you need to find out where they are roosting.
"When the Buffalo are gone, we will hunt mice, for we are hunters, and we want our freedom..." (Sitting Bull)
"Republicans believe every day is 4th of July, but Democrats believe every day is April 15." (Ronald W. Reagan)
big_countryks
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:36 pm

An owl hooter works great first thing in the morning, but as soon as it gets light go with the crow call. The raspier and louder the better. Just listen to what is going on in the woods and listen to what they respond too. I don't have a goose call, but turkeys have responded to geese everytime I have heard them fly over. I have had turkeys gobble almost continually while a pair of honkers flew over. I prefer a crow call over anything, though. :yes:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Wed Mar 09, 2005 5:32 pm

Barred Owl call is my locater call, but would have to admit that a car door slamming or rolling thunder works just as well. I can't wait to hear the woods rattle again this spring!
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Postby frazier2209 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:50 pm

everyone is correct. One time last spring, I accidentally forgot and slammed my truck door. I had three different birds gobble. When i got in closer, i used the owl call, and yet again three gobbles from three different birds. It is reccomended to use an owl call before daylight and a crow when there is light. If you are hunting in a heavily pressured area where the birds here this all the time, you may try a woodpecker call. Also, GAhunter, I am new to goose calling, and what sounds do geese make when they are just flying and not planning on landing?
frazier2209
hunter

Postby Quackcephus » Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:57 pm

Pleated Woodpecker if the crow call isn't workin', also a predator call can work. :yes:
Quackcephus
hunter

Postby gahunter » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:23 pm

Frasier, I don't know anything about calling geese, but to me it just sounds like they are randomly honking. Most of the time that I hear them they are heading from one pond to the next and flying just over the trees. To get a turkey to gobble, I don't think it really matters as long as it is somewhat natural. Coyote howling also works great. :thumbsup:
gahunter
hunter

Postby dukhnter7 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 9:55 pm

Ditto what everybody else said. I've used all of the above and been frustrated when nothing worked only to cross a barbwire fence and have turkeys gobble when the wire squeeked! You just never know what is going to get them going. Keep your options open.
dukhnter7
State Moderator

Postby thaner » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:17 am

All the above calls work great. I have a tried the owl, crow, and goose calls and they all work. I also like the red tailed hawk call for daytime use. :thumbsup:
More ammo! I need to shoot something!
thaner
hunter

Postby mallardhunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:19 am

I like using a crow call because they are louder so the turkeys can hear them.
Keep working millions on welfare depend on you!!!
If hunting is a sport I am the M.V.P.
www.goosehuntingchat.com
www.nodakoutdoors.com
mallardhunter
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:35 am

I listened this morning for some turkeys, but heard none. I got a rumbling in my stomach and shot over to my parents house for a pit stop. While I was out of commission, my dad stepped outside and heard some geese fly over. As soon as he heard them he heard a double gobble about 500 yds behind the house. That was the only time he gobbled as far as we know. I stood out there for another 15 minutes listening to crows, woodpeckers and everything else but no gobbles. I listened at 2 other spots and heard nothing there either. These turkeys are justing starting to get cranked up. :getdown:
gahunter
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole