Spinning Wing Decoy Laws

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, Preacher1011, steve-o, La. Hunter, lostpup, #1wingnut

Spinning Wing Decoy Laws

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:09 am

just read this article...probably old news to some, but it was an eye opener for me. In Oregon they have banned all battery or motor operated motion decoys. ie. roboduk, those little quiver magnet thingys, etc. it is still legal for us to use the wind powered or pull string dekes though. i think you boys down in Arkyville got hosed. anyone else have strict laws on motion dekes like this?

LITTLE ROCK - The spinning-wing decoy will be making its last appearance in Arkansas during the 2004-2005 waterfowl season. Last week, commissioners officially outlawed the use of the decoys for the 2005-2006 waterfowl season.

Commissioners felt that removing the decoys from the duck hunter’s arsenal in the 2005-2006 season would give both hunters and retail outlets advance notice of the ban. “We believe it’s fair to both buyers and sellers that we allow them one more season,” commissioner Sheffield Nelson said. “We also want to save ducks for the future,” Nelson added. Commissioners have said in the past that the spinning-wing decoy helped hunters kill more young ducks that were attracted to the wing flashes.

The spinning-wing decoy is defined as any electronic, mechanically-operated, wind-powered or manually-powered spinning-blade device that simulates wing movement. The decoys will be allowed during the snow, blue and Ross’ Conservation Order season dates of Feb. 7 to April 30.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Admin2 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 11:59 am

PA has a law about no motors for taking wildlife--thus using them has never been lawful there.

MN has a week or so ban at start of season. and I thought I heard they are considering further restrictions. In MN you can not use remote controls ever-as it came under some obscure law about use of radio signals (walk talkies ?) but they said it covered all radio signals. But wind powered ones are legal through out the season.

What surprised me is that even the wind powered spinners are banned in AR for duck hunting. But at least AR has the back bone do what they feel is the right thing for the resource.

As for the whole issue of Robos/Mojo/spinners, I surely would like to see the USFWS get some backbone and ban them nationally. Scietific studies have shown that the take is substantually increases when using one VS not using using them. If a man can not be satified with 4 ducks in the ba with out using a spinner, then possibly that person needs to be better educated in that the ducks overall population has been in a down hill slide for many years and their nesting grounds are in great perril. It is not an inexhaustable resource. And that is my personal Opinion on the subject, not DHC managements view.

Admin2

The Deputy riding shotgun
Admin2
hunter

Location: lurking around the corner keeping an eye out for trouble makers

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Mar 10, 2005 2:11 pm

truthfully, i wouldn't cry a bit if they banned them across the board as you suggested.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby frazier2209 » Thu Mar 10, 2005 6:48 pm

is it also true that you cannot shoot the ducks in the air in Arkansas? You must shoot them on the water after they land?
frazier2209
hunter

Postby gahunter » Thu Mar 10, 2005 7:53 pm

If that is true, then it is the most retarded game law I've ever heard. I've always considered shooting ducks off the water unsportsmanlike, but that is just me. :thumbsdown:
If the hunting is cold, luckily so is the beer!
gahunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Mar 11, 2005 10:31 am

frazier2209 wrote:is it also true that you cannot shoot the ducks in the air in Arkansas? You must shoot them on the water after they land?

:toofunny: i saw that post in the arky flyway forum. too funny.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby shrpshtr » Fri Mar 11, 2005 8:38 pm

swamp puppy is right on in my book.
shrpshtr
hunter

Return to The Honey Hole